The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-20-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

The SM81 has been used on many many records. JD Sumner used it as a vocal mic. It's a common choice for acoustic guitar. It hold's it's value and if you list one on eBay it will sell quickly at a good price. If it breaks Shure will fix it and they are in the US so you won't have to ship your mic to Germany.

I love collecting microphones but the mic isn't what makes you sound good. It's the song and the performance. When I lived in Los Angeles I knew folks with number one hit records. If I went to hear one of them in church or at a neighborhood bar they made those cheap PA system sound great.

It's the singer (or the guitarist) that makes the microphone sound good.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
The SM81 has been used on many many records. JD Sumner used it as a vocal mic. It's a common choice for acoustic guitar. It hold's it's value and if you list one on eBay it will sell quickly at a good price. If it breaks Shure will fix it and they are in the US so you won't have to ship your mic to Germany.

I love collecting microphones but the mic isn't what makes you sound good. It's the song and the performance. When I lived in Los Angeles I knew folks with number one hit records. If I went to hear one of them in church or at a neighborhood bar they made those cheap PA system sound great.

It's the singer (or the guitarist) that makes the microphone sound good.
Too bad we don't have "stickies" for individual posts. This one should be at the top of the "RECORD" section, imho.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-20-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Too bad we don't have "stickies" for individual posts. This one should be at the top of the "RECORD" section, imho.

Fran
Thank you for your kind words

PS. In the late seventies I worked for a well know guitar tech in Venice Beach, CA. My boss had a saying (he had lots of them) that went, "It's a poor workman that blames his tools."

Last edited by Al Acuff; 10-20-2020 at 06:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD