The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-25-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
Just for you guys know: I have decided to go with a Neumann u87ai for vocals and a pair of KM184. I am using them in this live recording of Right Here Waiting, from Richard Marx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H77Kw65Lpw

The KM184 are in ORTF, and even with a bad room, with minimal treatment, I liked the results. I need to work on my mixing skills and room treatment for a better and cleaner results.
Good for you, and it sounds great with your voice . The U87ai is a great mic and was the very first mic I encountered in a pro studio situation in the late 90's . I was so impressed with the sound of that mic I decided to get into home recording.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-01-2020, 11:03 PM

FYI, for fans of the Disney series The Mandalorian, much of the voice dubbing was done with a Neumann TLM-103.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
FYI, for fans of the Disney series The Mandalorian, much of the voice dubbing was done with a Neumann TLM-103.
How do you know this?

Couch Standards
Old 11-02-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
How do you know this?
My Pro Tools instructor was a systems designer at Skywalker sound, part of the mixing team.

I emailed him this evening, and he said they used the ubiquitous U87 for many of the actors, but the TLM103 for others as it was a better fit for those individuals’ voices because of the high frequency rise at 4khz. The 103 also handles higher SPLs, which helped for more intense dialogue. He told me he sees 103s as a go-to voiceover mic in many of the studios where he builds out the hardware. Not so much for vocals.

And to answer your question of “how do you know this?”, I am an avid audiophile with an extensive collection of vintage recording hardware, and an active investor in a new Dolby Atmos studio currently under construction. So, I’m lucky enough to occasionally hang out on the periphery of the audio engineering crowd.

Last edited by nsureit; 11-03-2020 at 12:56 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD