The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2020, 04:11 PM

I would contact the seller on #2 and let them know that you would keep the guitar if they were willing to honor a price concession due to the off center burst. I liked the look of #2 best with the lighter burst and it being off center gives it a unique character. If it feels right and plays well then...
Old 05-05-2020, 01:52 AM

Thank you for all your input! I sent back #1 and #3. But I'm still unsure whether that off center burst is something that will always bug me when looking at it, no matter how well it plays. I wish I was able to simply overlook it, but no matter the angle, I think it's very apparent:

I found another dealer with a new J-45 Standard and asked for pictures. Well, here's another one with an off center burst, even though not as bad as with my current #2 (just compare the distance right and left between saddle and binding downwards):

I'm not quite sure if it's just me minding that, but what's up with these off center bursts, Gibson? I understand these are all hand-done, and no two are alike. But shouldn't the burst at least be symmetrical? Anyways, as the original post was all about deciding between three different guitars I guess this topic might be worth a different thread, where it's all about cosmetic inconsistencies vs. tone.

Thanks again!
Pat
Old 05-05-2020, 04:01 AM

Your guitar has a very nice book matched top. The book match on the second guitar bothers me much more than a slightly offset burst. If you’re needing a bit more aesthetic symmetry, maybe remove the pick guard?
Old 05-05-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDie View Post
Thank you for all your input! I sent back #1 and #3. But I'm still unsure whether that off center burst is something that will always bug me when looking at it, no matter how well it plays. I wish I was able to simply overlook it, but no matter the angle, I think it's very apparent:

I found another dealer with a new J-45 Standard and asked for pictures. Well, here's another one with an off center burst, even though not as bad as with my current #2 (just compare the distance right and left between saddle and binding downwards):

I'm not quite sure if it's just me minding that, but what's up with these off center bursts, Gibson? I understand these are all hand-done, and no two are alike. But shouldn't the burst at least be symmetrical? Anyways, as the original post was all about deciding between three different guitars I guess this topic might be worth a different thread, where it's all about cosmetic inconsistencies vs. tone.

Thanks again!
Pat
If it plays ok, and you like it more than the other two, I personally wouldn't worry. nobody is going to say that your burst pattern is off centre lol. Only you know it's off centre, so don't sweat it, just enjoy that guitar!! Good luck with it.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

All I can say is 'loosen up' and don't worry about little blobs of glue inside the guitar... okay, it's not 100% perfect, but then very few things in life are. These are still guitars that a lot of people can only dream of. Enjoy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
decision, gibson, gibson acoustic guitar, gibson j-45, sound