The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2019, 01:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Will there be clips of this new system soon? Thanks!
Yes, working on it!
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 12-11-2019, 01:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Donor View Post
Is the soundhole-mounted volume wheel ‘optional’, per se? It doesn’t look intrusive, which I really appreciate, but one less knob to worry about is always preferable for me. That’s one thing that drew me to K&K’s initially and then to the previous iteration of the Ultratonic.
The volume control comes standard, but can easily be removed and jumpered around if not required.

FWIW, I was of the school that didn't think I needed a volume control at the sound hole. Until I had a conversion and now I am hooked. YMMV of course.

This one really does work well - it has just the right taper and of course the tonal balance does not change when adjusting the volume. (Both of these features are not trivial to implement.)
James May Engineering
Old 12-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

I've got one here just waiting for me to install - If only I didn't have so much to get done in the next week!!

I have a V2 in another guitar, and it is great!
Old 12-12-2019, 07:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

For those who asked, audio demo clips of the Ultra Tonic V3 are now up on the site.

http://jamesmayengineering.com/video-audio-demos/

In actual practice, you'll probably boost the highs a bit (or use a ToneDexter), but these demos are straight into the recording interface with no EQ or effects. Unvarnished, so to speak.
James May Engineering
Old 12-12-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
For those who asked, audio demo clips of the Ultra Tonic V3 are now up on the site.

In actual practice, you'll probably boost the highs a bit (or use a ToneDexter), but these demos are straight into the recording interface with no EQ or effects. Unvarnished, so to speak.
That sounds really good. It definitely has that K&K quality to it but it sounds even more natural. It kind of reminds me of the Schatten HFN in terms of the mic-like quality but the V3 has the bottom end I like. I currently have a Fishman Matrix that I pair with the Tonedexter so I would have to remove it since the main transducer for your pickup would go over the hole where the UST wire comes out of the bridge plate.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post

Sounds good. I'd like to find a pickup that has good feedback resistance and doesn't require a lot of processing in a live setting. I understand this system weeds out troublesome frequencies. I have a nice Larrivee SD60 that's currently being set up, It'll need a good pickup system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification