The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Martin HD-28V or Santa Cruz D/PW or Collings D2H
Martin HD-28V 22 27.16%
Santa Cruz D/PW 32 39.51%
Collings D2H 27 33.33%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2019, 09:51 PM

Default Martin HD-28V or Santa Cruz D/PW or Collings D2H

Currently looking for a great all-purpose guitar can cover a variety of styles.

I'm hoping to get everyone's opinions on the comparison between Martin HD-28V, Santa Cruz D/PW and Collings D2H.

I'm wondering if any of you who have played these guitars have any experience or insights that might be helpful in comparing these 3 wonderful dreadnoughts.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2019, 09:58 PM

I don't know the Santa Cruz model cited. While I'm not a Collings fan I voted for Collings if only because I don't like the changes Martin did to their "reimagined" guitars. I found the Collings D2H alright, but not my thing. Without regard to pricing the brands I really like though don't own any are Bourgeois, Goodall, Olson and some Santa Cruz models. So perhaps I should have voted for Santa Cruz?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 04-05-2019, 10:01 PM

I wouldn't touch a new Martin today if you paid me..The quality is not there for the price!
Old 04-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

The HD-28v was probably Martin's most consistently good sounding dread. Nice aesthetics too, great overall vintage Martin tone if a bit dark (most Martins are), but it only comes in a 1 11/16 nut mod-v neck and 2 1/8" string spacing. This is a deal breaker for many.

The D/PW and D2H come with medium thickness soft-v profile necks (less noticeable v than on the HD-28v) and are available with the 1 3/4 nut width and a variety of string spacings (2 3/16" is standard).

I own a 2012 D/PW in Sitka over EIR. It has the 1 3/4 nut along with the Adi bracing + Hide glue options. Just an incredible guitar. It has about 80 - 85% of the volume of a typical Martin dread, but the playability, resonance, harmonic complexity, and overall quality of tone are exceptional. It's also feather light (as most Santa Cruzes are), and plays great with Light strings.

The Santa Cruz tone is vintage voiced with an enhanced midrange and tons of harmonic complexity and nuance. Think 70% Martin + 30% Gibson.

The Collings D2H is the loudest of the 3 guitars you're asking about, with a tight quick bass, a "hot" midrange, and in-your-face all the time piano-like clarity. Not a warm sounding guitar. Also very unforgiving of sloppy play or fingering due to the volume and clarity. Plays like a coiled spring and is an awesome flatpicking guitar with tons of cut. You will be heard easily (so play cleanly!).

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-05-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrySu View Post
I'm wondering if any of you who have played these guitars have any experience or insights that might be helpful in comparing these 3 wonderful dreadnoughts.
Yes. All quite different. If you haven't played them, then anything we say is quite meaningless. But I think Brencat gave you great info.

But you have definitely picked out three interesting and different guitars. It's a good start.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I don't know the Santa Cruz model cited. While I'm not a Collings fan I voted for Collings if only because I don't like the changes Martin did to their "reimagined" guitars. I found the Collings D2H alright, but not my thing. Without regard to pricing the brands I really like though don't own any are Bourgeois, Goodall, Olson and some Santa Cruz models. So perhaps I should have voted for Santa Cruz?
This is why you shouldn’t vote if you haven’t played them and don’t know anything about them.

The HD-28V did not get the reimagined features. The HD-28V retained the 1 11/16” nut, 2 1/8” saddle spacing, mod v neck, long saddle. That’s what makes it so awesome, compared to the new Martin line. Soon to be (if not already) discontinued.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:46 AM

Playing them beats hearing about them.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-06-2019, 10:01 AM

My ears prefer the clearer definition of notes that all Collings guitars deliver.

I own a 2013 D2H, 2014 D2HA, and a '99 D-1. All are keepers, all are exceptional in every way!
Old 04-06-2019, 10:29 AM

All great guitars. I voted for the Collings, the clarity and fit and finish are second to none.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Gotta Like GoodallBoy's response.

Excellent accurate information being entered in this poll, people voting for guitars they haven't even played, only in the 21st Century.

The HD28v is discontinued, so if you're going to get one, you'll need to get one used. I wouldn't sell any of my HD28v guitars, i have two.

H102
Old 04-06-2019, 10:39 AM

As said by others, you need to play the things. All three have different voicings, but, as I see it, the Sitka/East Indian dreadnought is a design that’s pretty bass heavy and warm by its nature and this is one model where I think Collings excels. The Collings house sound veers articulate and that’s a shape and wood combo where I think it needs that twist. But those are my ears and if we were talking a different model - D-18 or OM, my answer would be different.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:54 AM

I have a Martin Custom D28 that probably, according to 6L6 description, sound close to a Collings.

Lots of overdrive in the HD28v that maybe sometimes you don't want, as a reason for variety.

H102
Old 04-06-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
My ears prefer the clearer definition of notes that all Collings guitars deliver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
I voted for the Collings, the clarity and fit and finish are second to none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
All three have different voicings, but, as I see it, the Sitka/East Indian dreadnought is a design that’s pretty bass heavy and warm by its nature and this is one model where I think Collings excels.
No, no, no. Don't listen to these people. They're all wrong.

You need to put a Bourgeois on your list. Nobody knew how to build with rosewood until Dana came along.

Which is to say the OP needs to play a few guitars. And maybe add a few other brands to the list.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice and information!
Old 04-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

As someone mentioned earlier...the HD-28V was not "re-imagined" in 2018. That might be (IMHO) the best Martin rosewood dread in the current production. If you can find a custom shop model with Adirondack top and 1 3/4" nut. Had one from Jon and foolishly sold it. The D-28 Marquis might have a slight edge but as John Wayne once said in a western..."I'd hate to have to live on the difference?" Both the best of the non Authentic's in my book. Or the true pre war vintage models?
Never played a D2H although I own a custom D1. Gotta believe they are stellar guitars. Played one SCGC D/PW in a small shop (Guitar Vista) in Albuquerque and it's somewhat haunted me ever since.
Any of the three should be great instruments. Just have to figure out what will suit you best.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 04-07-2019 at 07:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, comparison, dreadnaught, martin, santa cruz