The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 07:30 PM

Question Compare for me: Froggy Bottom P12 or C12 vs. SCGC OO Skye

Best and most resonant little guitar I’ve ever owned was a Froggy P14 deluxe that I regret selling to this day. I loved the size, the short scale, the playability, the piano-like resonance out of such a sweet small instrument I’m back on the market for an instrument. I’ve always wanted a SCGC Skye but never played one.

How does a Froggy P12 (or C12 which I’m also considering) compare to the SCGC Skye? In terms of playability, resonance, fit, finish, overall? Anyone ever own or play both and can you compare them? Which do you prefer??

Thanks!
Otis11
2006 Yamaha SA2200
Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 PM

I owned a P12 and an H12. I still own an L. I’ve played a C, a Santa Cruz “standard” 00 and a Skye.

The Santa Cruz were more dry and fundamental. The Froggies all were louder and had more prominent bass.

Fit and finish were comparable. SC picks prettier looking tops. Froggy’s fretboard radius is flatter, and the neck is thinner (from fretboard to back of the neck). The SCs had a V neck. The Skye has a 1 13/16” nut.

I hate V necks. I like wider nuts like the Skye’s 1 13/16” I wish Froggy’s standard neck carve was a little bit beefier. I preferred the FB tone, and thought it was a little bit richer with a tad more overtones. Without playing specific examples, if I had to just pick one, it would be a FB C.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 PM

Awesome. Thank you! Exactly the kind of comparison I was looking for. Sounds to me like I’m a “Froggy guy” more than I knew!
2006 Yamaha SA2200
Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 AM

Any other thoughts on this?thanks
2006 Yamaha SA2200
Old 01-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
The Santa Cruz were more dry and fundamental. The Froggies all were louder and had more prominent bass... Fit and finish were comparable.
I found this to also be true. I haven't owned either, but I've played a couple P12s and 00 Skyes. I love Eric's playing and his tone, but I found the 00 Skye to be almost tight, for lack of a better word. I felt like I couldn't "pull" the resonance out of it.

The P12 was so different, it was almost too much resonance for me. I thought it was a big, round, warm sound... gorgeous tone. Obviously, what I prefer falls in between those two. I like a blend of resonance and clear, fundamental sound. I found those two guitars very different, but both were beautifully constructed instruments. I've never played a bad Froggy or Santa Cruz, but I didn't take either of these home with me. That is nothing but personal preference though. Both companies are superb builders.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion