The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Newtone Heritage Strings on Short Scale Guitar?

My wife plays a 00 Martin (short scale) but wants to lighten the string pressure on her fingers. She currently uses Elixir lights. Would it be a bad thing to string Newtone Heritage lights onto a short scale? I'm concerned that the tension may be too light to adequately support the neck. Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:19 PM

Nope, not in my experience. You may need to change the relief but we're not talking dramatic differences here.
I've used them on my J45 and my Eastman E10 00, both of which are shorter scaled guitars. As everyone is different, the usual disclaimers apply.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-17-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Something to consider.
Newtone MasterClass strings are not the lower tension of the Heritage..but regardless Masterclass are still slightly lower tension than Hexcores.
An estimate by Newtone is that Round core strings are 3% less tension than Hexcores.
*However, beyond the Numbers, Round cores are easier to depress and bend than your standard Hex core. This has to do with the fact that hexagon has stronger structure than a Circle, thus harder to depress.
You might consider experimenting with Newtone Masterclass first. They will have close to the same tension as your standard Hexcore strings, but will be easier to fret and bend. Thus still putting the same tension on the sound board.
I love the sound of Newtone Masterclass PB's.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 PM

I use Heritage on my 00 and its not bad but its not of course the same sound as a higher tension/gauge string
Old 01-17-2019, 11:08 PM

I use the Newtone Heritage Series Low Tension .010 - .043 on my Recording King RO 10. I had a professional setup done after I bought it about four years ago, been using the Newtones the past two years, and nothing's moved...I had the action set real low...wonderful playability, and a clean and open sound that I really like. Well worth a try...
Old 01-17-2019, 11:45 PM

I've just added Heritage 13-55s to my 25.5" scale guitar and will never look back (absolutely love them!). But it's the third string you might want to be wary of on a short scale, especially if using lower gauges. That's because even on the 13s it's only a
.022, which is just about enough for me. Others will be fine with that, but worth a mention.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:10 AM

Also, it would be worth considering Martin Flexible Cores (either 12 or 13s, depending on the actual scale), as I found them to be more 'comfortable' than their equivalent gauges.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion