The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 10:40 AM

Default How about the new Guild D55?

I’d like to hear opinions and experiences with the NEW batch of Guild D55’s out of SoCal?
It sounds like Córdoba has revamped the model, and is trying to read turn Guild to its prominence.
It’s definitely a visually stunning guitar. I wonder how it stacks up against other high end dreads.
Not sure about those open butterbean tuners...

Here’s a link:
https://guildguitars.com

Last edited by Mattyfatz; 08-18-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:47 AM

more direct link

https://guildguitars.com/g/d-55-in-natural/
Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Looks like the version Fender was making in New Hartford with tortoise guard and open back tuners. List price in the stratosphere.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

I think the new Guilds are fine guitars. Their problem is that by all accounts, the Westerlys, Tacomas, Coronas, and New Hartfords all are great too, so they will be fighting the used Guild market.

I got to play one of the last New Hartfords, and I liked it better than the Martins and Gibsons I played that day. Better by a lot. Had a great evenness across all frequencies. Guild sunbursts are beautiful too. A Sunburst D 55 is a top of the line instrument I'd love to own. From all accounts the Oxnard guitars are well built.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 PM

Well..
I got to play a D55 today. It was probably as close to a divine experience as I’ll ever have.
The guitar booms. The bass reverberates through your gut and into your spine. Each note sounds clear and perfect. The sustain is unparalleled.
The guitar shop had some used Martins (D14, D18) a Taylor 414, and 310 and a Gibson J15. I spent some time going back and forth, and I actually expected the old Martins to best this one, but that wasn’t the case. The Guild was just that much better than each of these fine guiatars.
Another big plus was how easy it was to play. It’s like playing my GS mini. It felt comfortable in the way you only get from a guitar you’ve played for a long time. Not sure how they do that.
This was the sunburst model. It was visually stunning. I can’t stop thinking about it.
Alas, I can’t spend that kind of money on a guitar right now. I fear that this experience has tainted me though, and I’ll never be able to play or listen to another dread again
Old 08-19-2018, 05:16 AM

I have an older Westerly D55. Its a fantastic guitar. I have not played anything post acquisition, so I am following this discussion with interest.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

Default all I know..

All I know is the Gibson J-100 I just got...is one from the Gibson factory when it moved West and Ren Ferguson was there and was really hands on in building then. Two days ago I handed it to my son with his eyes closed. I told him to play it and "guess" what it was...he was...well...it sounds amazing....It's not shaped like a Martin...and I KNOW IT'S NOT A GIBSON!!!..."then he laughed"...then opened his eyes and was blown away...he said this may be the best sounding guitar you've got....so, I've played at least a couple D-55's and have always wanted one..now...I really want one...of the new ones....
Old 08-19-2018, 06:32 AM

I did play an Orpheum that was made after Ren F. Got to Guild. It was exceptional. I should have bought that one.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 AM

The new D-55 is getting great reviews.
I have not played one myself though.
I own a Tacoma build D-55 and love it.

Yes the price of a new Guild D-55 is up there with Martin and Taylor.
So is the quality.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 AM

I have a 2011 D-55 with the open back tuners and they work fine for me.

I'd gone hunting for a Martin one day and tried a HD-28 and D-35 amongst others. The guy I was with pointed out the Guild. I picked it up and was sold; it blew everything away.
Lowden Thomas Leeb
Lowden O25 45th Anniversary
Guild D-55
Old 08-20-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyfatz View Post
Well..
I got to play a D55 today. It was probably as close to a divine experience as I’ll ever have.

Alas, I can’t spend that kind of money on a guitar right now. I fear that this experience has tainted me though, and I’ll never be able to play or listen to another dread again
Check out the used market, the old D55s sound sweet as well.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:04 PM

I played hundreds of gigs with my 2006 D-55NT that I bought new in 2006. K&K equipped, that Tacoma-built was an outstanding instrument!

Like a dolt I sold that one to finance an electric guitar I thought I couldn't live without. DUMB move!

I'll be getting another D-55 one day and it will be another Tacoma-built.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:39 PM

Just another D55 cheerleader here!

Bought mine new 1977, been around the world, brought joy to many.
I can't decide which I like better; my D55 or my Martin Authentic D28 1937 VTS.
That says a lot about how good D55s are.

I can't wait to try a new D55 from Oxnard.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I think the new Guilds are fine guitars. Their problem is that by all accounts, the Westerlys, Tacomas, Coronas, and New Hartfords all are great too, so they will be fighting the used Guild market.

I got to play one of the last New Hartfords, and I liked it better than the Martins and Gibsons I played that day. Better by a lot. Had a great evenness across all frequencies. Guild sunbursts are beautiful too. A Sunburst D 55 is a top of the line instrument I'd love to own. From all accounts the Oxnard guitars are well built.
Yeah. Guild fans often have preferences for factories. A D-55 would be very appealing to me, but if I could find a "like new" New Hartford model, I would take it over a new Oxnard, even if they were about the same money.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:40 PM

When did Ren Ferguson take over? Was it during Fender ownership or after Córdoba.
Gibson people swear by him

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
d-55, dreadnought, guild, guild d-55, rosewood