The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 03:26 PM

Default Unwrapped G (3rd) string damage to steel-string acoustic?

I just replaced the wrapped G (3rd) string on one of my guitars with a 0.24 non-wrapped string. It plays very well, but seemed pretty heavy when stringing (almost like thin baling wire!). I wonder if it will add enough extra tension to damage the top or bridge, or harm the guitar in some other way.

Also, does anyone know of a steel-string set that uses a non-wound G?

The guitar is a pretty expensive Taylor custom with a cedar top. I play fingerstyle and just can't avoid a scratchy sound when my right hand fingernails move along a wound G string. It's a technique problem, I know, but I've performed and recorded this way for decades and finally wanted to do something to eliminate the scratch-scratch-scratch in rhymic playing. The non-wound G does the trick nicely, but I don't want to damage anything.

If no one tells me the top will explode, I'll probably do this on all my performing guitars, including a really old D-28.

Thanks for comments!
Martin Steve Miller Pegasus #299/383
Taylor 14 body BTO ("The Junebug Special")
414ce
National Rez O-14
1971 Tak 12

Old 03-14-2018, 03:47 PM

You didn't mention what the original string was, but no, you won't do any harm at all. There are various string tension calculators on the web, if you want to quantify "how much". But it won't be much.....
Old 03-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

If the unwound G is to your liking....but seems stiff... you could drop down to a 20 -22. I am not aware of any unwound G string on a standard 6 string set, and can not imagine any damage that could be done to the guitar. Another option could be the flatwound (Daddario) Phosphor Bronze strings which give very little noise. I tried them on my 12 string recently and was impressed with their quietness while playing fingerstyle.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Tom Feldmann uses an unwound G string. Just his personal choice. No big deal.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-15-2018, 03:25 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the fast and very useful replies! More welcome.
414ce
National Rez O-14
1971 Tak 12

Old 03-15-2018, 03:30 PM

The 24 plays well, has a good timbre and match to the wounds, and holds down well in barre next to the wound 4th. I was just worried about damage. I'll also consider a wound 3rd.

I added "timbre" to make people think I know what I'm doing. (Let's see now . . . the pinky goes HERE for a C chord . . . )
414ce
National Rez O-14
1971 Tak 12

Old 03-15-2018, 03:41 PM

The plain 3rd string is something of a "thing" with blues players in particular. Slightly different sound.

One thing to be careful about, those heavy gauge unwound strings can really come whipping out of the packaging. Dangerous as an official Red Ryder range model air rifle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
"non-wound", strings