The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 AM

Default NGD: K. Yairi NY0021B

The why and what
It was finally time to get back into acoustic guitar. Twelve years ago I gave it up due to a recurring thumb injury and sold them all. Except an old Spanish nylon and a Heritage H-127 electric - which is one of only 15 made. My mainstay became the piano. Nice instrument.

But, as I got into songwriting and realised I couldn’t play piano in the evenings for risk of waking the kids, I reached ever more often for the old Spanish, lifting bridge and all. So, I was on the lookout for a strumming on the sofa kind of guitar. A parlor guitar. Wide nut, as I have dat fingers, and short scale because of that thumb injury. And if at all possible, a slotted headstock - just love the look. The search was on.

Now, historically I have been a sucker for a good deal. . Even if a guitar wasn’t a great fit, if I knew it was (objectively) a bargain, I would get it.The problem is, if the guitar doesn't suit you, it becomes not such a good deal when you sell it on for a loss. So, this time I promised myself: get one you really like. The max budget was set at Eur 1600 (approx 1700 $)

The quest begins

So much for the intro. As a true obsessive, I dived into the online world of opinion masquerading as fact and conflicting advice. And discovered Alvarez parlor models. At a local guitar store, I played two: AP70, bit bright and jangly but amazing response and volume for such a petite guitar. Then the APA1965: great, same volume as the AP70 but warmer. And far, far under budget. So, time for a think.

Knowing myself, I feared that if I got the Alvarez parlor, I would keep looking out for another, more premium guitar. So I did some soul searching and it turns out I would rather have a guitar that was built by someone earning a fair wage. Thus, a guitar built in the US, Canada, Europe or even Japan.

So, I went to another store to try some Art & Lutherie guitars, Folk and Roadhouse. Beautiful instruments, but narrow nut, and, to my ear, a bit closed and tight sounding. Also somehow heavy to play. Badly set-up I assume. That experiment also put paid to the Simon & Patrick woodland pro folk, which is basically the same guitar, just prettier and more expensive.

In yet another store I played some Taylors, some full size guitars, Martins and Fenders. Was impressed by a Kremona M10 dread (and what a bargain!!), a Furch jumbo and enjoyed a Stanford P10 golden era: a fun little parlor guitar. I was totally underwhelmed by a Washburn parlor. Very boxy sounding, as in cardboard boxy. I also played another Alvarez parlor, and liked it once again.

The new guitar
Then I discovered the world of K. Yairi - and its relationship to Alvarez. I decided I needed a Yairi parlor. And there it was, at a German instrument dealer on the web: an ‘as new’ 2007 K. Yairi NY0021B. With 46mm nut and everything else I had been looking for. It arrived swiftly, armed with Rotosound coated 011’s. As I unpacked it, I was smitten. What a beautiful instrument. No bells and whistles, just perfect craftsmanship, and real ‘soul’. And, as advertised: as new, not a scratch. Then, the playing: loud, subtle, balanced but a bit muted, muffled or understated, slightly boxy even. Something was off. What a disappointment. To go and spend (more than) double of what an Alvarez parlor costs only to be underwhelmed. I felt a perfect fool.

But, never one to give up, I ditched the coated strings, and put on a set of Martin Silk & Steels (M130). What a difference!! Stunning. The guitar has found its voice. Responsive and a sound ranging from refined to raucous. Very light on the fingers too, with no string buzzing. I am a happy man, I have found my companion. Never knew strings could make such a difference.

Pictures in next post

Last edited by Klimski; 02-20-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:14 AM

AA+ sitka spruce top, Rosewood back and sides (laminate or solid - nobody seems to know for sure) ebony fretboard and bridge. Simple, elegant inlays, perfect. I put a pick guard on as I strum a lot.

[IMG]Yairi NY0021B 1 by Klimski, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Yairi NY0021B 3 by Klimski, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Yairi NY0021B 2 by Klimski, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Klimski; 02-20-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 AM

Beautiful guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM

Thanks Marty!
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 AM

Very nice. In my neck of the woods, I've seen very few Yairis, but every one I've ever picked up has been extraordinary. I think you will be very happy with that.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Very nice. Another "discovery" of Yairis. I really love mine, both the DY-90 I have now, which is the best sounding guitar I've played, and a DY-74, also very nice.
I believe yours is laminated rosewood (all rosewood, laminated with grain aligned), as are both of mine. The "newer" solid models all have an "M" in the name, I think. With Yairis, that is not a negative. Whatever they do with the lamination process, it produces tonality at least as good as any "solid" wood instrument, and stronger too.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:51 AM

I have small kids, so the knowledge that my guitar has some extra strength is welcome. I'm very happy with it.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on a beautiful new Yairi.

I suspect you may be losing a bit of volume to those silk and steel strings. I would suggest you keep experimenting with different strings. Perhaps some Martin low tension or Santa Cruz Guitar Co low tensions.
Also try Martin Retro.

You might also try tuning down a 1/2 step or whole step then use a capo. This will give you solid tone with reduced tension.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:41 PM

Welcome to the Yairi family. The guitars produced by Kazuo Yairi and his team are truly something special.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimski View Post
The new guitar
Then I discovered the world of K. Yairi - and its relationship to Alvarez. I decided I needed a Yairi parlor. And there it was, at a German instrument dealer on the web: an ‘as new’ 2007 K. Yairi NY0021B. With 46mm nut and everything else I had been looking for. It arrived swiftly, armed with Rotosound coated 011’s. As I unpacked it, I was smitten. What a beautiful instrument. No bells and whistles, just perfect craftsmanship, and real ‘soul’. And, as advertised: as new, not a scratch. Then, the playing: loud, subtle, balanced but a bit muted, muffled or understated, slightly boxy even. Something was off. What a disappointment. To go and spend (more than) double of what an Alvarez parlor costs only to be underwhelmed. I felt a perfect fool.

But, never one to give up, I ditched the coated strings, and put on a set of Martin Silk & Steels (M130). What a difference!! Stunning. The guitar has found its voice. Responsive and a sound ranging from refined to raucous. Very light on the fingers too, with no string buzzing. I am a happy man, I have found my companion. Never knew strings could make such a difference.

Pictures in next post
Kazuo passed on in 2014 so yours being a 2007 might be one of last few guitars he actually was involved with. Is the label signed "K. Yairi" or is his signature a photo copy? The dating on Yairi's is stamped on the neck block and the date is the year of the current emperor, not the Western calender date. https://yairiluvr.wordpress.com/2009...r-dating-code/ The Emperor date code ended in 2000 and went to a date code that matches the western calender.

My WY-1 L/H is a 1999 and was on consignment (2015?) in a local music store and was in very close to mint condition. What an incredible instrument. The workmanship and materials on it are just top notch and the best thing other than the amazing sound and playability is like you noticed, the inlay work is nothing more than what is needed, sparse but just exquisitely done.

Being that I didn't have the acoustic guitar strength in my hands yet (I'm getting there), I did have it Plek-ed and what I found out is that other than for the piece of mind, I didn't really need to spend the money.

Last edited by Seagull S6; 02-20-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:27 PM

They are nice. I had a DY-74C for a long time. It is hard to tell if they are solid or laminated due to the way Yairi did his laminates. Only way is to pull the endpin and look for layers. Doesn't matter much, his laminates sound better than most people's solid wood.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
They are nice. I had a DY-74C for a long time. It is hard to tell if they are solid or laminated due to the way Yairi did his laminates. Only way is to pull the endpin and look for layers. Doesn't matter much, his laminates sound better than most people's solid wood.
I don't think Kazuo bought his his Plywood, laminates or layered (Taylor term) woods at Home Depot either. From what I read, he has/had his own lumber yard and sawmill with something like 10 years worth of tone-woods naturally curing (not in a kiln) and waiting to be make into guitars. When done right, laminates or what ever you call them do make very exceptional guitars.

Almost forgot. The top on my WY-1 is solid ceder and Indian rosewood laminate back and sides so looking in the bridge pin holes would not tell you anything about the back and sides.

Last edited by Seagull S6; 02-21-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimski View Post
The why and what
It was finally time to get back into acoustic guitar . . . . . clipped . . .
Welcome to the family of K Yairi owners!! Every Kazuo Yairi instrument is a gem. Yours is gorgeous!
Old 02-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm a big Yairi fan and have owned several. I've never seen one like yours, though, it's gorgeous!

I've only recently discovered silk & steel strings, but they seem to bring out the best in a small-bodied guitar. I put a set on my newly-acquired Santa Cruz 00, and they really improved the tone and feel of that little guitar.

Congrats on your new guitar! I wish I could spend an hour with it.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 AM

Thanks for all the kind responses folks! Just some replies: it may be that I am losing some volume with the S&S strings, but the playability and tone make up for that in my opinion.

As for the signature, the label is signed but it looks like it was printed on. Would have to see more labels to compare, Google images hasn't really helped.

I feel quite lucky to have stumbled into acoustic guitar world's 'best kept secret'.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, ny0021b, parlor, silk & steel, yairi