The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2015, 06:43 AM

Just my opinion but I wouldnt trade a Taylor 214 for a washburn or something else. Is any thing wrong with the Taylor...thats a great guitar!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenna View Post
I've been looking to sell or trade in my Taylor 214CE Grand Auditorium Cutaway (which I figure I can get around $800 for, since it's in stellar condition) .
I think you will be shocked at the amount you will be offered on a trade if you are thinking $800, probably more like $450-$500-ish. Even selling outright, I think that $800 is not a realistic target. You may get someone to pay that much, but you will be sitting on it for a while, since a brand new, warrantied, 214CE can be had for not much more.

Just for kicks, have you tried different strings on the Taylor? it could be an inexpensive experiment to buy several different brands/types of strings and it could mellow out that "brightness".

Try some Newtone Heritage strings.. very warm sounding and easy to play. Heck, even Taylor has those new Elixir "HD Lights" that are supposed to bring more lower end to the table. My advice would try this out first. Ask around for warm sounding string sets and try each set for a minimum of a week (let them settle before taking them off). You may be surprised and fall in love with that Taylor again.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

You need to change construction from spruce/rosewood of your 214 to a "warmer" tone wood so at least mahogany back and sides.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 08-17-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Check out the Seagull lineup with cedar top or spruce top paired with mahogany back and sides. Any spruce/rosewood guitar is going to sound bright. Look at an artist like James Taylor, his primary acoustic is a cedar top with mahogany back/ sides.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
I think you will be shocked at the amount you will be offered on a trade if you are thinking $800, probably more like $450-$500-ish. Even selling outright, I think that $800 is not a realistic target. You may get someone to pay that much, but you will be sitting on it for a while, since a brand new, warrantied, 214CE can be had for not much more.

Just for kicks, have you tried different strings on the Taylor? it could be an inexpensive experiment to buy several different brands/types of strings and it could mellow out that "brightness".

Try some Newtone Heritage strings.. very warm sounding and easy to play. Heck, even Taylor has those new Elixir "HD Lights" that are supposed to bring more lower end to the table. My advice would try this out first. Ask around for warm sounding string sets and try each set for a minimum of a week (let them settle before taking them off). You may be surprised and fall in love with that Taylor again.
I agree with Wasper, a new 214 goes for $999 by me, not a big hop from your target price. Nickel strings might give you a different sound (Martin Monel Retros, John Pearse) or silk and steel (but they don't last long and some prefer silk and bronze,I've never tried those)

The 214 is an excellent guitar, btw, much better than the price indicates.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-17-2015, 07:28 AM

Check out the Martin 15-series guitars (possibly a D15M). You can usually pick up a used one for about that price. I think it may be difficult to find one with a cutaway, but these are great guitars.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
I agree with Wasper. The 214ce retails for a grand. Convenctional AGF wisdom states used value is 60%, if in mint condtion. So you are looking at $600, tops.

If it were me I would go with Blueridge or Eastman. But Try as many as you can. All trees are not created equal, there for all guitars (of the same make and model) are not created equal. I also like your suggestion for the Performer Martin guitar.

On another not, you used the term "high-endish"

Another consideration is saving a little bit more, then sell all your guitars and get a used high-endish Guitar.
IF you want something for live gigs, Perhaps a used Martin GPCPA1 would fit your needs - (60% of retail would be $1800)

If you are looking for great unplugged sound you should always try before you buy, if you can. Also check out some of the forum dealers, you might be surprised on the price (not the advertised price)

Best of luck
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cutaway, high end, martin, taylor