The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-04-2020, 01:42 PM

Default Emerald X20 short scale

Does anyone here have any experience with a customized short-scale X20? The strength in my left (fretting) hand is compromised, so I have evolved to playing /buying short-scale guitars and fitting them with extra soft strings to make the guitar playable for me.

I'm interested in buying an X20, but would specify that it be customized to about a 24 1/2 inch scale. I'd then likely change the strings to a low tension or smaller gauge string.

Anyone with some experience with an X20 fitting these parameters?

Also, I'm in Canada and was wondering if any Canadian Emerald customers could tell me what they were charged for customs duty on their guitar. From what I can make out on the Canada Customs site, the current duty on guitars imported from Ireland is 6%.

Thanks to all for their help.

Joe
Old 05-04-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre2020 View Post
Does anyone here have any experience with a customized short-scale X20? The strength in my left (fretting) hand is compromised, so I have evolved to playing /buying short-scale guitars and fitting them with extra soft strings to make the guitar playable for me.

I'm interested in buying an X20, but would specify that it be customized to about a 24 1/2 inch scale. I'd then likely change the strings to a low tension or smaller gauge string.

Anyone with some experience with an X20 fitting these parameters?

Also, I'm in Canada and was wondering if any Canadian Emerald customers could tell me what they were charged for customs duty on their guitar. From what I can make out on the Canada Customs site, the current duty on guitars imported from Ireland is 6%.

Thanks to all for their help.

Joe
Not to try to talk you out of or into anything, but have you had a look at the X7? It's stock with a 24" scale - it's a ridiculously easy to guitar to play. I personally liked the sound more than the X20 I also had a for a while. The only downside I ever found with that scale length was moving a capo too far up the neck started feeling pretty crowded...

Maybe worth a look, anyway - an off the shelf X7 would be a LOT less money than a customized X20...

-Ray
Old 05-04-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You'll also have to pay the tax...for me in NS that's an additional 15% HST.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:21 PM

I have a custom X20-12 with a 24.6" scale, chosen to make the twelve string easier to play. There are those here who have tried mine (AZLiberty, Captain Jim, Kramster) who can attest that it plays nicely, and I'm really happy with it (sold my Taylor twelve string last fall). I currently have an order in for a six string version with the same specs, but it likely won't be here until fall at this point. Assuming it works out as planned, that new one will replace my stock X20 with 25.5" scale length. That X20 is my favorite daily player. I too have some left hand weakness and stiffness, and find shorter scales to be more comfortable. The stock scale is still workable for me, but barres and more intricate finger style pieces are just easier. You can easily simulate the shorter scale by playing with a capo on fret #1, which I did for a whole week before ordering my custom X20.

Ray makes a great point about the X7. I have little experience with the current third generation X7 (we own version 2 with the forward-facing soundhole). The X7 now has a body that is 1" shorter, 1" narrower, and 1/4" thinner than an X20. Reports here indicate that it sounds nearly as good, plus the X7 comes stock with a very comfy 24" scale length. When playing my wife's older & smaller X7, its 24" scale is easy - but takes some adaptation time. I play everything from 17" scale tenor ukulele to 34" electric bass. There is some adaption time whenever I switch instruments. I rarely capo any guitar above the second fret, and would not want to capo much above fret #3 on the X7 myself.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:23 PM

It’s kinda hit and miss with customs. I’ve heard some have gotten their guitar without any charge. I wasn’t so lucky and got hit with a PST and GST charge based on Canadian dollar value. It was a big unexpected hit.

Dan
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 05-04-2020, 02:50 PM

Ouch. Fortunately here is the US we don't have those duties and taxes. US-Ireland imports are not subject to either. I remember paying PST and GST on hotel, food, and aviation fuel (plus the 6% US-CA exchange rate) when relocating my Cessna from Alaska to Idaho years ago. My route took me through the Yukon and British Columbia mostly along the Al-Can Highway. AVGAS in Whitehorse was $7.15 a gallon.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Ray. I currently own Taylor GS Mini, and although I like it, and it's pretty easy to play, I just find the fretboard to get kind of crowded closer to the neck.

I have a Taylor 512ce, (24 7/8 inch scale) and find it to be a great compromise between the Mini and a longer 25 1/2 inch scale. I have a longer scale guitar as well, and just find it too tough to play cleanly.

Earl, I kind of can't wait to hear about your custom short scale X20 6 string. From what you're saying about the X20-12 short scale that you have, it sounds like the 6 string version will be equally playable.

Thanks for your input!

Incidentally, the Emerald site shows that there will be "packages" available for each of the custom options, but no details are currently available. Anyone know about what the format of these packages might be?
Old 05-04-2020, 02:58 PM

Danz567

Was the PST hit in addition to the customs charge? So if the customs tariff is 6%, would PST (and GST most likely) be charged on top of the cost of the guitar and the 6%tariff?
Old 05-04-2020, 03:04 PM
Guest 928

A nylon string short scale would probably be the easiest to play.

Could someone in the U.S. take delivery of your guitar and ship it duty free to you?
Old 05-04-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Danz567

Was the PST hit in addition to the customs charge? So if the customs tariff is 6%, would PST (and GST most likely) be charged on top of the cost of the guitar and the 6%tariff?
I didn’t get charged any duty, but the 2 taxes was just under $400. Stung a bit!

Dan
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 05-04-2020, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

My first full custom Emerald was a short scale neck at 24.6" and also with a custom soft V neck shape. It was very comfortable to play. I agree that a stock X7 with a 24" scale would also work well with a smaller body and even shorter scale. But it won't sound as good as the X20.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
But it won't sound as good as the X20.
Depending of course on your particular ears. I thought my second X7, the new style, sounded better than my X20. Warmer and sweeter, like a much smaller version of what the X30 sounds like in clips. Maybe it's the 12 fret layout with the huge cutout - I don't know, but I heard more similarity between the X7 and X30 than the X20 with either. I found the X20 only a tiny bit louder and much brighter and, to my ears anyway, harsher. This is all in the ears of the beholder and I know lots of people will find the X20 to sound better, but I don't think it's close to a universal sentiment.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
A nylon string short scale would probably be the easiest to play.

Could someone in the U.S. take delivery of your guitar and ship it duty free to you?
Hi Evan!

Got a nylon string guitar too. Now it's a classical guitar with a wide neck and a flat fretboard, so it's really only built for it's intended purpose, but I frankly don't like the sound of nylon as much as steel.

Now, for bringing the guitar trans-border from the USA, I'd still be subject to the same duties and taxes because it's calculated based on the origin of the instrument. I'd have to bring it into Canada under the table, and don't really want to risk that. Great idea though. Got lots of relatives and friends across the States.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
My first full custom Emerald was a short scale neck at 24.6" and also with a custom soft V neck shape. It was very comfortable to play. I agree that a stock X7 with a 24" scale would also work well with a smaller body and even shorter scale. But it won't sound as good as the X20.
Methos, I didn't see any option for neck shape on the Emerald site. Do you just describe what you are looking for, and then they build it and you kind of hope for the best?

I'm most familiar with Taylor necks, and I believe that they're best described as a shallow "C". Any idea if the stock neck is similar in feel to the Taylor neck?
Old 05-04-2020, 06:14 PM
Guest 928

Spectre;

If you took a hit from the south, you could start a tunnel now and probably be ready for when the guitar ships. That's one way of avoiding certain boundaries.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber