The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Default How does an Eastman 522CE compare to Taylor 516ce?

Hi,

It seems that the Eastman 522CE is modeled after the 516ce/514ce Taylor. They are made from the same woods (Spruce/Hog). Does anyone know if they sound/feel comparable? I live in the Twin Cities and it's impossible to get my hands on the Eastman.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Musical minimalist

My experience is the Eastman would be quite a bit more lightly built and lively sounding. I believe it's more shallow than the Taylor too (correct me if I'm wrong) and slightly smaller in the waist area. That would give it some more clarity.

One caveat - the Eastman guitars have relatively narrow saddle spacing (2 5/32) and the nut widths, while listed at 1 3/4, can have string spacing at the NUT that's closer to 1 11/16 at times (they vary some)

Of course the Eastman is a much more inexpensive instrument too.....especially if you can find a used one!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:48 PM

As fitness said, they are built/braced lighter and are louder to my ear. I would say build quality/resale value goes to Taylor and responsiveness/volume goes to the Eastman. (my intonation is a bit wonky on my 522, but incredible tone & sustain)

The finish is more delicate on the Eastman's too.

BTW - the ac522 is more similar to the 514 than the 516 in size. The Taylor 516 is a Grand Symphony and is larger than the GA's.

Big difference in $ too. Buy an Eastman from a reputable dealer like LA Guitar Sales or Soundpure and have them check it out first.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 04-10-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-10-2014, 01:05 PM

Thanks,

For some reason it's really hard to find an Eastman dealer in Minnesota. All I can get my hands on is an Eastman 10D, which is a great sounding guitar, but I want one with a cutaway and a pickup.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
Thanks,

For some reason it's really hard to find an Eastman dealer in Minnesota. All I can get my hands on is an Eastman 10D, which is a great sounding guitar, but I want one with a cutaway and a pickup.
Sent you a PM....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman, mahogany spruce, sound, taylor 516ce, wood