The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 01-19-2020, 04:11 AM
lowrider lowrider is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,162
Default

Can you imagine what internet message boards would have been like 80 years ago when they introduced the Dreadnought;

Waahh, we don' need that thing!

Waahh, it's too big!

Waahh, it will hurt my shoulder when I'm 80 years old!

Waahh, it's got too much bass!

Waahh, I like the guitars we have now, I don't want to try something new!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-19-2020, 06:44 AM
leew3 leew3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,087
Default

It looks interesting, but my guess is we all already have a perfect guitar. I played my CEO 7 at a gig last night and decided that it is the perfect guitar. But I'll likely play my other guitars today and change my mind...again!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-19-2020, 10:43 AM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 33,685
Default

I spent my 50-year-long career in engineering as a design engineer. And I have been playing guitar for 56 years now.

As a result, I can't help seeing this new guitar from Martin from two different directions. Would I be interesting in owning this? Probably not, since I already have about a dozen really great acoustic guitars. On the other hand, as a design engineer, I can't help being intrigued by what Martin has done with this new design. I think this is very cool in a lot of ways. The laminated koa back and sides certainly look very attractive. I don't even mind the "bolt-on neck" design. I think that looks pretty cool, too.

The sound through the pickup doesn't sound all that enticing, but plug that piezo output into a Fishman Aura Spectrum preamp and I bet it will sound good, just like my old 2002 Taylor 514CE does.

The acoustic sound is not my cup of tea, either, but then, I'm pretty sure they didn't design this guitar for me. I'm pretty sure they designed this for younger players, and for that market, I think this design will be a winner. My grandkids would like this guitar, I'm quite sure.

I can't help being excited for Martin. And this, coming from a company known for its stodgy, conservative guitar designs is rather refreshing to me.

- Glenn
__________________
My You Tube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-19-2020, 10:56 AM
rmoretti49 rmoretti49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I spent my 50-year-long career in engineering as a design engineer. And I have been playing guitar for 56 years now.

As a result, I can't help seeing this new guitar from Martin from two different directions. Would I be interesting in owning this? Probably not, since I already have about a dozen really great acoustic guitars. On the other hand, as a design engineer, I can't help being intrigued by what Martin has done with this new design. I think this is very cool in a lot of ways. The laminated koa back and sides certainly look very attractive. I don't even mind the "bolt-on neck" design. I think that looks pretty cool, too.

The sound through the pickup doesn't sound all that enticing, but plug that piezo output into a Fishman Aura Spectrum preamp and I bet it will sound good, just like my old 2002 Taylor 514CE does.

The acoustic sound is not my cup of tea, either, but then, I'm pretty sure they didn't design this guitar for me. I'm pretty sure they designed this for younger players, and for that market, I think this design will be a winner. My grandkids would like this guitar, I'm quite sure.

I can't help being excited for Martin. And this, coming from a company known for its stodgy, conservative guitar designs is rather refreshing to me.

- Glenn
I agree with all of this, especially the last paragraph. I think this design will definitely attract some new customers, expanding Martin's base, which is obviously good for them.
__________________

RM
-----------------------------------------------------

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Takamine F360S ('78), Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Recording King RP-06, Yamaha FGX800C, Tanglewood TWJP parlor.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-19-2020, 11:06 AM
RalphH's Avatar
RalphH RalphH is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canterbury, UK
Posts: 795
Default

I don't get it. Can someone explain what is so exciting? And perfect and innovative?

Brands like Ibanez have been making thin-bodied, laminate guitars with cutaways, that are mainly designed to be played plugged in for years. Decades. So have Ovation. I can't see anything new here at all, except that Martin have finally been brought kicking and screaming into the 1980s.

I don't see it as being any more innovative than this :
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...Gear4music/ENG

Not saying the build quality isn't 100x higher than a £75 shop own brand MIC guitar, or that Martin aren't allowed to step into a slightly different market segment, or that is isn't a great guitar, but that doesn't make it innovative.

As for their "we've supported the fingerboard with the neck all the way down so it doesn't sit on the soundboard..." well that's great and sensible and Taylor has been doing that for over 20 years now. Again, nice to see, but hardly new.

I'm not bashing.... I just genuinely don't get it why this is so exciting unless you've been living under a Martin branded rock and never heard of a slim, comfortable acoustic geared towards amplified use.
__________________
Customshop Hummingbird (Review)
Sontronics Solo
Orange Crush Acoustic 30

Last edited by RalphH; 01-19-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-19-2020, 11:32 AM
agfsteve agfsteve is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northeast Tennessee, USA
Posts: 754
Default No arm bevel

I said this in the other big thread on this guitar, but I'm amazed that Martin didn't put an arm bevel on this thing. I can't imagine it would be for cost-saving (Taylor put one on their budget Academy guitars, for comparison), so I think they dropped the ball on that.

Having said that, I will be interested in checking out one of these when they show up on the used market, assuming they are generally well-received in the mean time.

The biggest concern for me, though, would be the tight string-spacing at the saddle.
__________________
...Or something
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-19-2020, 11:55 AM
KEY44's Avatar
KEY44 KEY44 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Coastal Delaware
Posts: 23
Default

Personally, If your in the market for a Martin.. I would save up another $300 bucks and buy a used Martin 000-18 or something along that point price for a used standard model. It’s kind of like the first time you tried fried shrimp and loved it and you think it’s the best.. Then you tried fresh shrimp you have to peal and you realize you don’t want the fried shrimp anymore. If your that close in pricing why not get the “real” fresh shrimp? Then again some people may prefer the fried stuff?
__________________
Martin OMC-28 e
Martin 000-18 Retro
RainSong- Shorty SG
Taylor GS-Mini
Dobro Zephyr
Gibson & Fender electrics
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-19-2020, 12:27 PM
rmoretti49 rmoretti49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 628
Default

Most interesting to me was the statement by the designer on the NAMM video that Martin had been intentionally, up until this model, designing their fingerboards to "fall away" at the higher reaches, leaving a higher action.

I have tried out, on multiple occasions, several different models of Martin guitars. The ones I was most interested in (CEO-7, and other smaller bodied models) had action that I would have wanted lowered. But there wasn't a lot of room on the saddle to do that, so I walked away.

The new design apparently allows a a significantly lower action higher on the fretboard than the standard designs. Moreover, neck angle will be easily adjusted, saving lots of neck reset warranty claims. Of course, this is not a new approach, as Taylor has been doing it for years. I think Martin must be recognizing this is a good strategy despite the staunch adherents of the dovetail neck join.
__________________

RM
-----------------------------------------------------

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Takamine F360S ('78), Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Recording King RP-06, Yamaha FGX800C, Tanglewood TWJP parlor.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-19-2020, 05:37 PM
JohnW63 JohnW63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,601
Default

The neck angle adjustment screw isn't one I've seen before. That would be faster than Taylor shims, I would bet.
__________________
2010 Guild F47R
2009 G & L Tribute "Legacy"
1975 Ovation Legend
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2013 Guild Newark St. X-175B
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-19-2020, 08:10 PM
phcorrigan phcorrigan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 622
Default

I have a birthday coming up in March, so if someone wants to buy me the Purple Martin I'd be forever grateful!
__________________
Patrick

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Yamaha THR10C
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-19-2020, 09:27 PM
UncleJesse's Avatar
UncleJesse UncleJesse is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: STL
Posts: 837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Moreover, neck angle will be easily adjusted, saving lots of neck reset warranty claims. Of course, this is not a new approach, as Taylor has been doing it for years. I think Martin must be recognizing this is a good strategy despite the staunch adherents of the dovetail neck join.
From what I hear these days Martin’s warranty neck resets are a thing of the past barring a minor miracle. Most are rejected as normal instrument maintenance now. Actually, they always were but Martin covered them even though their own warranty said they wouldn’t. They’ve decided to stop going that extra mile now. I know I won’t ever count on one under warranty with my new martins.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-19-2020, 09:52 PM
dr461 dr461 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DeLand, FLorida
Posts: 366
Default

It is a Made in Mexico Martin, that has a Tayloresque tone for $1500? Not something that would excite me at all.
__________________
Current acoustics:
Martin HD-28e Retro 2017
Martin M-36 2017
Martin D-35 1995
Martin 000-28EC, with K&K pure 2013
Taylor 614CE 2005
La Patrie Collection, QT1


.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-19-2020, 10:11 PM
Acoustic Wolf Acoustic Wolf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
I don't get it. Can someone explain what is so exciting? And perfect and innovative?

Brands like Ibanez have been making thin-bodied, laminate guitars with cutaways, that are mainly designed to be played plugged in for years. Decades. So have Ovation. I can't see anything new here at all, except that Martin have finally been brought kicking and screaming into the 1980s.

I don't see it as being any more innovative than this :
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-an...Gear4music/ENG

Not saying the build quality isn't 100x higher than a £75 shop own brand MIC guitar, or that Martin aren't allowed to step into a slightly different market segment, or that is isn't a great guitar, but that doesn't make it innovative.

As for their "we've supported the fingerboard with the neck all the way down so it doesn't sit on the soundboard..." well that's great and sensible and Taylor has been doing that for over 20 years now. Again, nice to see, but hardly new.

I'm not bashing.... I just genuinely don't get it why this is so exciting unless you've been living under a Martin branded rock and never heard of a slim, comfortable acoustic geared towards amplified use.
Because it has the Martin name on the headstock. If any other brand, like the ones you mentioned, released this exact same guitar with the exact same innovations, people would not even notice nor feel the need to have a guitar with such features.

Same with the Modern Deluxe series. No-one cares about carbon fibre bridge plates or Titanium pins, but because Martin released it, there is interest.

Martin may or may not be diluting their brand name by associating with guitars that are ridiculous, but then again, they have also come up with certain other atrocities in the past best forgotten (just take a look at Wildwood Guitars' used Martins page if you really want to remember).
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-19-2020, 10:31 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 26,070
Default

I listened to Spoon's demo.

I didn't find the tone attractive, but I admit I like a meatier, earthier tone.
__________________
Barry

<>
<>
<>



<>

My music on Reverbnation

2016 Avalon L2-320C, 2004 Larrivee OM-05, 2015 Guild D-120c, 2016 Gibson J-45, 2003 Martin D-16GT

Cordoba C5
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-20-2020, 10:45 AM
Fatfinger McGee Fatfinger McGee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 6
Default

I'm eager to get my hands on one of these to see what it sounds like. Looks like some very thoughtful design went into it, and I can see the appeal for sure, if it has the Martin tone. Maybe not the perfect guitar, but it's definitely one I want to consider for everyday use. Easy to set up, easy and less stressful on your joints to play, cheaper to own...having been through a couple neck resets on Martins, spending big $$$ and waiting months for my guitar to come back, that actually resonates with me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=