The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2020, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

So i've given it a good clean and things are looking up. The original saddle is salvagable - it needs to be at the bottom of it's adjustment anyway so the fact that one adjustment screw is missing wont matter much. I've filed the notches out of it and put a nice rounded shape back on the top of it. The frets are not as bad as I thought. They are very flat-topped. I have a fret crowning file. I'll see how it plays and then decide on whether to recrown them, but unless it's really, really bad I'm not really up for doing fretwork on it. If I'd found a Martin against a bin then sure...

Scrubbed the fretboard and bridge and put some conditioner on them. The stickers all came off with some alcohol.

It's been sat at 45RH overnight and no cracks have opened up. Nothing rattles when I tap on it. Structurally it looks fine. It feels pretty light and resonant actually.

New tuners and nut arrive tomorrow so I'll be able to play it tomorrow night, and I have high hopes for it sounding pretty reasonable!

Last edited by RalphH; 01-19-2020 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
So i've given it a good clean and things are looking up. The original saddle is salvagable - it needs to be at the bottom of it's adjustment anyway so the fact that one adjustment screw is missing wont matter much. I've filed the notches out of it and put a nice rounded shape back on the top of it. The frets are not as bad as I thought. They are very flat-topped. I have a fret crowning file. I'll see how it plays and then decide on whether to recrown them, but unless it's really, really bad I'm not really up for doing fretwork on it. If I'd found a Martin against a bin then sure...

Scrubbed the fretboard and bridge and put some conditioner on them. The stickers all came off with some alcohol.

It's been sat at 45RH overnight and no cracks have opened up. Nothing rattles when I tap on it. Structurally it looks fine. It feels pretty light and resonant actually.

New tuners and nut arrive tomorrow so I'll be able to play it tomorrow night, and I have high hopes for it sounding pretty reasonable!
The bridge looks done for! Interesting that the wound part of the string is not up on the saddle, so he bridge plate may not have serious ball recession. I have a way of fixing that on cheapies if it needs it, tape the holes shut inside, fill with sawdust/epoxy mixture and redrill. I think you may be getting a new bridge, though. Itís an opportunity to get rid of that adjustable saddle.
This can be a good useful guitar for many years.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 01-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD... can you help identify it?

Itís the missing Larue!

Seriously, nice find and nice project ... thatís the kind of guitar that just seems to survive, dare I say, thrive on neglect ...

90 years from now itíll be leaning in a corner of a room somewhere ...
ď... yeah that was my great-grandpaís ... I think it was custom-made.Ē

Alvarez AP66ESHB
Takamine G330G
Epiphone PR-200
Traveler Escape Mk III

"To say a lot, with a little, takes great artistry."
Old 01-19-2020, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
The bridge looks done for! Interesting that the wound part of the string is not up on the saddle, so he bridge plate may not have serious ball recession. I have a way of fixing that on cheapies if it needs it, tape the holes shut inside, fill with sawdust/epoxy mixture and redrill. I think you may be getting a new bridge, though. It’s an opportunity to get rid of that adjustable saddle.
This can be a good useful guitar for many years.
Nah, it's ok. The saddle had just slipped sideways. I've sorted it.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Zero Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Used to be a zero fret was the mark of a cheapo guitar........
Not necessarily. Zero Frets were popular with the 60's MIJ guitars but also quite a few of the German builders, some pretty high end.

But the style of the ADJ bridge does say to me 60's to 70's MIJ.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I've done a bit of searching on google and ebay now I know what I'm looking for (thanks for the info guys!), and I have no doubt now it's late 60s / early 70s MIJ. Pretty cool find!
Old 01-19-2020, 01:03 PM

Certainly worthy of a clean up. Tuners, new bridge, saddle, nut, frets and a good set up and you'll probably have a nice $500 usable guitar. Certainly a shame that someone didn't take better care of it so it could have been a good $100 player.

Enough Guitars To Make A Living With....
Old 01-19-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Well new tuners and nut set me back £15.

That's all I'm spending on it. It should be ok for first position campfire strumming at that point hopefully
Old 01-19-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

You've found it! It's the namesake guitar for one of my favorite Paul Stookey songs (of Peter, Paul, and Mary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovrM39nutaY
Old 01-20-2020, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

ok, so I put nut and the new tuners on.

Side note #1: Waverleys they ain't, but for £7.99, I'd find it pretty hard to find anything to complain about with these Link

Side note #2: I like zero frets. Cutting nut slots with a Dremel cutting disk was fast, messy and fun

Anyway, so I strung it up. If i were being kind I might say bright and dry tone. It might also say it sounds like a balsawood box.

I only brought it up to D# and omg the top bellies!!. I've never seen anything like it! It must at least be a 1/4 depression ahead of the bridge and bulge behind.

I tried to photo it but I was frightened and i wanted to detune. Look at the reflection of the strings. I didn't capture the full scaryness of it. You'll just have to believe me.

I'm not sure what to do now. I guess could bring it back up to tension and see if it's stable or if it explodes. I might leave it outdoors while it decides so I don't get blinded by a piece of flying spruce.

I assume this is partly age, partly abuse, and partly ladder bracing.

Any thought? I suppose I could put 10's on it...

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

I only brought it up to D# and omg the top bellies!!. I've never seen anything like it! It must at least be a 1/4 depression ahead of the bridge and bulge behind.

My old Sigma does that. I haven't played it much in the last 18 years,
but it was like that when it was my only guitar, and it stays in tune and
hasn't exploded...

-Mike
Old 01-20-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Wow. Way beyond my level of knowledge but very interested to see what the more learned members have to say ...

Was it bellied at all before you got to that tension? (in other words did it slowly pull up or reach a critical point of failure - not sure it matters)

Really curious what conventional wisdom will mandate with this.

~ Paul

Alvarez AP66ESHB
Takamine G330G
Epiphone PR-200
Traveler Escape Mk III

"To say a lot, with a little, takes great artistry."
Old 01-20-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
My old Sigma does that. I haven't played it much in the last 18 years,
but it was like that when it was my only guitar, and it stays in tune and
hasn't exploded...
-Mike

hmmm, ok, makes me feel a bit better.

I put 12's on it. They didn't ship with 9's or anything crazy? Sorry if that's a dumb question but this thing is 10 years older than me and my acoustic guitar experience is mostly limited to brand new (like last couple of years) taylors, epiphones and gibsons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
Was it bellied at all before you got to that tension? (in other words did it slowly pull up or reach a critical point of failure - not sure it matters)

With no tension theres no belly. I don't know if it happened slowly - I brought it up to tension looking at the tuner, then looked down and went AAAGH OMG OMG OMG!! and detuned it.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Ok, so I got brave and brought it up to D standard to have a proper look (wearing safety glasses, a hard hat and a high-vis jacket on of course - I'm not that brave).

The belly is pronounced, but not that bad a D.

What is bad is the gap all down the back of the bridge (only photographed the corner so you could see 'under' the end but it's all the way across.

At this stage I'm thinking this guitar really is end of life. Its a shame, but for what it's worth (<£100), and with no emotional attachment (i only met it yesterday), I can't justify the time for me to fix this or the cost for someone else to

Only other thing I can think to do it string it with nylons -- at least they're unlikey to pull the bridge off while I'm playing it. I've never owned a nylon string guitar (or really wanted to for that matter). hmm...
Old 01-20-2020, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

The bridge on my Sigma isn't pulling away... when the bridge
starts coming off, that's probably really bad... JJ Cale had some
old guitar with the back pulled off, it was full of screws and
turnbuckles, maybe you should go crazy on your dumpster
find ...

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion