The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Default SBROTHERS Carbon Fiber guitars are INCREDIBLE!

here to review my SBROTHERS Carbon Fibre full-size travel guitar.

These SBROTHERS guitars are buy far the best carbon fibre guitars I have ever played

First of all I’d like to state that SBROTHERS is a small independent business the dude that makes it lives about an hour drive from where I live. I drove there to check out there guitars

The guitar I chose was the SBROTHERS travel guitar. And I felt it was one of the nicest sounding out of the lot. The best guitar he had in my opinion was a dreadnaught with xbracing. It was one of the loudest richest guitars iv ever played. It also had a very wooden tone. It was also equipped with 11 gauge strings and still sounds louder and richer than any dreadnaught I have played with 12s And I have played a lot of guitars. I didn’t buy this one because I liked the detachable neck on the travel guitar as I travel a lot and that the dreadnaught costs about £800 more But one day I will purchase one for sure.

All his guitars have xbracing and non xbracing versions. And it made me realise how much nicer a guitar sounds with x bracing

He showed me how he made his guitars. And I was at there house for hours deciding on what guitar I wanted to purchase. They where more than happy with this, friendly and very helpful.

Hear are some other carbon fibre guitars I have played

KLOS full size guitar - don’t like it. Very cumbersome neck. Only the body is made of carbon fibre and sounds thin for a dreadnaught. I own this guitar and it was nothing but a disappointment when it arrived.i like the fact that it weighs practically nothing though

Rainsong WS1000 - very nice guitar. Easy playability and nice sound it is very trebly. The neck was to narrow but surprisingly playable. I wouldn’t buy it though.

RAINSONG - don’t know the model but it was red and all carbon fibre and had a cut away. It was horrible the 11 gauge strings felt like 13ns. It had low volume and was hard to play even though it had medium/low action and no sustain. Strange considering the other rainsong i played was fantastic

I’m telling you. If you are interested in investing in a carbon fibre guitar. Please consider SBROTHERS as they are by far the best carbon fibre guitars I have played. It would really surprise me if I found a better one by a different manufacturer.

Pros
. Rich loud sounding guitar that makes me not particularly miss the sound of wood
. Very low action for easy playability
. Aesthetically pleasing
. The smoothest fasted most easy playable neck I have ever played on any acoustic guitar
. The neck detaches for travel (only on the travel guitar)
. Completely made of carbon fibre
. Full sized travel guitar (most travel guitars are small, this one is a travel guitar due to detachable neck. The neck can be attach and reattached as many times as you like without wear to the guitar)
. It is very good value for money
. Can be made to your desired specifications
. It never goes out of tune (probably because it’s carbon fibre)
. The guitars can be made to your specifications (action height, pickup installation, aesthetics etc...)

Cons

. There isn’t any (I would like to say adleast one bad thing to make my review sound fair but I’m literally struggling to find a negative)

They installed my guitar with a fishman matrix infinity prize pick up which sounds grate

If you look on SBROTHERS website they don’t make it clear but the prices listed for the guitars can be cheaper if you choose to have less things like not getting a pick up installed etc...

These guitars are handmade in Derbyshire in the UK

Here’s a video of me playing a cover of CCR Green River with my SBROTHERS guitar

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkM9I_egP8

Ps sorry for they bad grammar
Old 11-17-2019, 11:56 AM

I would have liked to post some pictures of the guitar but apparently I have to download an app/software to do that on acousticguitarforum. There travel guitar isn’t listed on there website for some reason so you will have to check there Facebook page for pics on it. Forgot to mention the travel guitar costs about £1000. Worth every single penny
Old 11-17-2019, 12:56 PM

OMG they are nice. As someone who just purchased a RainSong, I would have put this in the mix of consideration had I known about the brand. Sexy.

I was looking for that traditional guitar look, which put Emerald out of the running. This brand, however, yum....

Congrats!

Me likey
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-17-2019, 01:07 PM
Guest 928

Yet another player in the carbon fiber field. Fibertone is yet another player. Carbon fiber guitars have been discovered.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Nice looking guitars - the more, the merrier!

There are several better pictures of the instruments on their Facebook page than those on their website.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Is there a link to the website - the OP doesn't list one (or I'm more blind than I thought) and Google can't find it.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Is there a link to the website - the OP doesn't list one (or I'm more blind than I thought) and Google can't find it.
Here you go, Ray:

https://sbrotherscomposite.com/
Cordoba Stage

Old 11-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Really wish there was a video somewhere of a take-apart of the Sbrothers travel guitar and more detail, specs, etc. I found nothing on their site or youtube, just the few photos mentioned in Facebook. Love to hear it also.

They are already listed in the Composite List thread.

The neck attachment knobs almost look like they are made from CF.

Maybe they are still working on details, travel bag, etc. Wonder what it will have in common with Journey?
Old 11-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
It would be great if that thread could be a sticky at the top of the page.
Cordoba Stage

Old 11-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Nice Guitars and reasonably priced, too! I like the Fishman Matrix/Prefix Plus T electronics. These guitars come factory-equipped with Elixir Extra-Light-Guage strings which are too light for me as I use nothing lighter than 12-53 strings, and on their dreadnought model would likely want 12-56 Light/Medium. Now, obviously, the guitars can be restrung from the factory-installed string gauge but then the nut slots may have to be recut by the owner. I'd imagine that if you order a guitar from S Brothers they would adjust it to a customer's string-gauge selection?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Really wish there was a video somewhere of a take-apart of the Sbrothers travel guitar and more detail, specs, etc. I found nothing on their site or youtube, just the few photos mentioned in Facebook. Love to hear it also.

The neck attachment knobs almost look like they are made from CF.

Maybe they are still working on details, travel bag, etc. Wonder what it will have in common with Journey?
Here’s a video I made comparing it to the klos. It goes a bit into detail about the guitar but your right they haven’t done much in terms of advertising the guitar. It’s a quiet video so you may want to turn your speaker/headphones up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3LIw1UytXBs&t=128s
Old 11-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Nice Guitars and reasonably priced, too! I like the Fishman Matrix/Prefix Plus T electronics. These guitars come factory-equipped with Elixir Extra-Light-Guage strings which are too light for me as I use nothing lighter than 12-53 strings, and on their dreadnought model would likely want 12-56 Light/Medium. Now, obviously, the guitars can be restrung from the factory-installed string gauge but then the nut slots may have to be recut by the owner. I'd imagine that if you order a guitar from S Brothers they would adjust it to a customer's string-gauge selection?
Yea they would for sure, when I went to there house to check out there guitars I brought some strings with me so I could see how they sounded with my strings and they where more than happy to do this. I actually had my SBROTHERS guitar equipped with electret 12 - 53 strings. All there other guitars where 11ns. I have 2 voyage air acoustic guitars that I put 11 gauge strings on and swap out the 11 for a 13 which helps a lot when playing slide but I’m gonna keep 12s on my SBROTHERS for sure. Richer sound
Old 11-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
Yea they would for sure, when I went to there house to check out there guitars I brought some strings with me so I could see how they sounded with my strings and they where more than happy to do this. I actually had my SBROTHERS guitar equipped with electret 12 - 53 strings. All there other guitars where 11ns. I have 2 voyage air acoustic guitars that I put 11 gauge strings on and swap out the 11 for a 13 which helps a lot when playing slide but I’m gonna keep 12s on my SBROTHERS for sure. Richer sound
Thanks, for this information, Thisisme!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
Here’s a video I made comparing it to the klos. It goes a bit into detail about the guitar but your right they haven’t done much in terms of advertising the guitar. It’s a quiet video so you may want to turn your speaker/headphones up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3LIw1UytXBs&t=128s

Thanks much! Nice playing and nice sounding guitars.

That's the most info so far. Your guitar has a single screw attachment piece, but the photo on Facebook shows a model with two smaller size screws. A slightly different design. Maybe an earlier model.

Is it easy to take on and off and how well close does it stay in tune after reassembly?
Old 11-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
acoustic, carbon fiber guitar, rainsong, sbrothers, travel guitar