The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 07:54 AM

I do realize that we all have different budgets, but I easily get 3 months from a set of monel strings. FOR ME, it's kind of silly to worry about the price of 4 sets of strings given that I listen to them every day.

Now I would not let my children (grandchildren now) go hungry for a better set of strings, but the difference between $6 strings and $12 strings four times a year is about 42 cents a week. Worrying about 42 cents a week would only make sense TO ME if my guitar cost $125 (or the hungry children thing).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 AM

I first learned about the nickel bronze strings when I told a guy at a music shop about a new Tak I had bought specifically for a regular Friday jam I go to. I ordered it online so I never got to play it first. If I had I definitely wouldn't have purchased it. He told me these strings go a long way on less expensive guitars insofar as putting out a great sound. I bought two sets from him and found out right away he couldn't have been more right. The Tak took on a whole new personality. Of course since a recently deceased friend left me an incredible 36 year old Yairi super abalone the Tak got sidelined immediately. I'm letting a neighbor borrow it right now, along with the best amp Acoustic brand makes that my wealthy friend who willed me the Yairi purchased for me as a gift. The nickel bronze strings are awesome to say the least. The sound just seems to improve for weeks on end.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

In general terms I like the D'Addario NB strings alot...however, depends on what you are putting them on...They make my Collings D2H become even more of a banjo-killer than it already is (too bad its owner isn't up to the challenge), but on my Guild D-55 they almost ruin the deep full sound of this guitar. Two Sitka/EI Rosewood dreads, two completely different outcomes...obviously due to the builds. The NB I had on the Collings seemed to last for months, only changed them as I had an itch to try something else...wrong move!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:14 PM

I just pulled a set off my J-45 Vintage after about a week. Didn't care for them. Thin and metallic.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 PM

Thumbs up My favorites

I used to use Monel but nickel bronze is the best thing to come along in a while, IMHO. Great tone, playability, longevity. I now use only nickel bronze strings on my acoustics.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:37 PM

I use EJ16's almost exclusively. Again I tried EXP's and surprise surprise I still don't like them. Its unclear how many more times I will make this mistake but I have 2 unopened sets left.
I did give these NB's a try on my Halcyon AJ and you know? I think I am on to something here. I am going to get another set and put them on my Larrivee L03R and this will be the test. I have never liked anything but EJ16's on this guitar.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion