The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2014, 10:19 PM

Default Assembled my pedalboard finally. What do you think?

I appreciate the help and advice given to me in the other thread, of which I started asking for such aid. The process was long, and frankly, quite annoying. I used a combination of cables from George Ls and Lava, and a couple Hosa pancakes (AnalogMan says they are legit). The George Ls were a breeze to put together, while the Lava cables were HORRIBLY difficult. The space between the OCD and the SPACE pedals is there to make it easier to turn on the Nova Delay without bumping into the OCD's settings.

Anyways, please share pics of any pedalboards that you've assembled as well.

The signal path is Stratocaster > Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone compressor > Hoof fuzz > Boss TU-2 (which I only use for the buffering and for emergencies, since I rely on my Peterson Strobo-Clip) > Wampler Pinnacle > Fulltone OCD > Boss DD-7 > iB Modded Nova Delay > Eventide SPACE > Strymon blueSky > Ditto looper > Morgan amp (left) / Fender Tweed Champ (right)

Last edited by 000-18; 02-17-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 PM

Nice work, that looks great. If it works for you and you're satisfied with it, that's really all that matters. Just know this: you will never stop making changes to your pedalboard. Ever.

Here's a link to my pedalboard build on TGP starting from scratch:
My DIY/Homemade Pedalboard Build...

Here's a shot during my first with it. A lot has changed since then, I'll try to add a photo of how it looks currently:

And here's the picture of my last gig with my full setup:

Suggestions:
- The TU-2 should be first in the chain if you're using it as a buffer, before the compression pedal
- The DD-3 should be last in the chain

...but if the tone is what you like, don't change a thing!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Nice work, that looks great. If it works for you and you're satisfied with it, that's really all that matters. Just know this: you will never stop making changes to your pedalboard. Ever.

Here's a shot during my first with it. A lot has changed since then, I'll try to add a photo of how it looks currently:

Suggestions:
- The TU-2 should be first in the chain if you're using it as a buffer, before the compression pedal

I put the DD7 in before the Nova and the SPACE because they convert the signal to digital, even when bypassed. Also, the buffered tuner is placed after the compressor because of the fuzz pedal, which creates noise with the buffer in front of it. Also, the compressor creates noise with the fuzz in front of it, so the only solution was the compressor first, then fuzz, then tuner. I have a lot of comps too and had similar results with each.

I did the whole A/B test with my wife and we found the tone to be pretty **** close (pedalboard to straight). At first it wasn't so, but it was only because I had forgotten to switch the level selectors of the SPACE to 'line level.'

I like your rig too. Very nice. What amp(s) are you using? How do you like your Nova?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000-18 View Post
so the only solution was the compressor first, then fuzz, then tuner
Oh, your first post says that you have compressor, then tuner, then fuzz. I'm confused.

I don't actually have a Nova, it's a TC Helicon Harmony G-XT, and I only kick it on for certain phrases within a song that I want two upper third harmony voices added.

There are basic "guidelines" to pedal order, but there are not rules. Whatever sounds best to you for your tone is what's best. I recently sold all my true-bypass pedals because of the click noise. Replaced them all with buffered Boss pedals and I'm loving life without the clicking/popping!

Nice build once again!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, your first post says that you have compressor, then tuner, then fuzz. I'm confused.

I don't actually have a Nova, it's a TC Helicon Harmony G-XT, and I only kick it on for certain phrases within a song that I want two upper third harmony voices added.

There are basic "guidelines" to pedal order, but there are not rules. Whatever sounds best to you for your tone is what's best. I recently sold all my true-bypass pedals because of the click noise. Replaced them all with buffered Boss pedals and I'm loving life without the clicking/popping!

Nice build once again!
Thanks for pointing that out! I'm such a ditz!

Yeah, I don't get the Boss hate. The buffers on them are totally usable and the effects sound great.

I know what you are saying about true bypass too. I have a drawer full of pedals that just sit and are used for mainly recordings. Why? They are either noisy, problematic with other pedals, or split the signal when bypassed (MXR).

You live in Hawai'i?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I have a drawer full of pedals that just sit and are used for mainly recordings. Why? They are either noisy, problematic with other pedals, or split the signal when bypassed (MXR).

You live in Hawai'i?
You should list those pedals in the drawer both on the AGF and TGP classifieds. I listed some "throw-away" junk pedals, forgot about the threads and they ended up selling weeks later. Get some money to buy more pedals.

I live in Guam, that last gig was a private wedding event beachside/poolside at one of the resorts here on Valentine's Day. Those are the easiest gigs for me.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the help and advice given to me in the other thread, of which I started asking for such aid. The process was long, and frankly, quite annoying. I used a combination of cables from George Ls and Lava, and a couple Hosa pancakes (AnalogMan says they are legit). The George Ls were a breeze to put together, while the Lava cables were HORRIBLY difficult. The space between the OCD and the SPACE pedals is there to make it easier to turn on the Nova Delay without bumping into the OCD's settings.

Anyways, please share pics of any pedalboards that you've assembled as well.

The signal path is Stratocaster > Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone compressor > Hoof fuzz > Boss TU-2 (which I only use for the buffering and for emergencies, since I rely on my Peterson Strobo-Clip) > Wampler Pinnacle > Fulltone OCD > Boss DD-7 > iB Modded Nova Delay > Eventide SPACE > Strymon blueSky > Ditto looper > Morgan amp (left) / Fender Tweed Champ (right)
Very nice board 000-18, you've got some great pedals on there. My only concern is, how do you get at your Ditto?

Wouldn't it be great of all pedals had their inputs/outputs on the top of the pedal-case, instead of on the side? You'd be able to shoehorn that lil' Ditto in the front row, no problemo. In fact, you just might be able to do it, if you play a bit more Tetris with those pedals. The input vs output of the Ditto, is staggered,(not in-line). Just wondering if you can take advantage of that. Also, since the HooF has on-top i/o, maybe that one could be butted up tight against the case of the Eventide.

That said; great board 000-18.

Manufacturers; While they're at it, they could also go with shorter knobs on some of those pedals, so you're not stepping on the knobs of the front-row pedals, when you try to reach back-row switches.(ahem Strymon)

Last edited by Bobby1note; 02-18-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Suggestions:

Joe, your attention to detail, and dedication to getting things done right, never ceases to amaze me. Great job (as usual).
Old 02-18-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Joe, your attention to detail, and dedication to getting things done right, never ceases to amaze me. Great job (as usual).
Thanks Bob!

Quote:
Very nice board 000-18, you've got some great pedals on there. My only concern is, how do you get at your Ditto?
Bob has a great point here, I actually position my pedals on my board based on the no. of times I'll kick them in a gig and not based on the signal chain (you can run cables wherever you need for signal chain). In addition, I position my pedals based on the ones that I need to kick without looking while my head is up singing into the mic. The black/red TC helicon pedal is now actually on the bottom-right side as the right switch is the one I kick 10+ times. Having it on the bottom-right allows me to just use my foot to feel for the corner of the pedalboard and, in turn, locate the pedal switch without looking down.

Kicking a loop pedal, such as the Ditto, requires a very quick and swift stomp to keep the timing. It might be a challenge to get to it behind the eventide space pedal. Furthermore, kicking the Ditto might cause you to incidentally change the settings of your space pedal.

I had this happen to me when I built my first single-tiered, angled board - I was constantly hitting first-row pedals with my heel which kicking the back row pedals. I've since moved to the two-tier model and it has worked very well for me.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Wouldn't it be great of all pedals had their inputs/outputs on the top of the pedal-case, instead of on the side? You'd be able to shoehorn that lil' Ditto in the front row, no problemo. In fact, you just might be able to do it, if you play a bit more Tetris with those pedals. The input vs output of the Ditto, is staggered,(not in-line). Just wondering if you can take advantage of that. Also, since the HooF has on-top i/o, maybe that one could be butted up tight against the case of the Eventide.

That said; great board 000-18.

Manufacturers; While they're at it, they could also go with shorter knobs on some of those pedals, so you're not stepping on the knobs of the front-row pedals, when you try to reach back-row switches.(ahem Strymon)
Thanks for taking the time to respond. You are totally right on -- the Ditto is not in an ideal place on my board. I may actually just take the compressor off, move the tuner up a spot, then put my Ditto on the end. I rarely, if ever, use a compressor live.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Two-tiered boards sure solve a lot of problems. Frankly, I'm amazed that PedalTrain doesn't offer one (or 2 or 3 different models). You'd think they'd take the time to look at the countless number of pedal-boards that are posted on the internet, see the obvious over-crowding, and say to themselves "how can we improve our product?" Sure, they offer "optional" mini-shelves, but why should a pedal-board be tilted on a single plane in the first place? It's clearly an issue of not thinking through the functionality of their product.

Same goes for pedal manufacturers; they should all have their input/output jacks at the top-rear of the case, like the Eventide and Strymon pedals,,, and,,,, use shorter rotary knobs, so the knobs don't get stepped on. The rotary knobs on my Strymon Mobius and Big-Sky pedals, are way too tall to allow mounting on the front-row of my current pedalboards (PT. Jr. and PT 2). A two tiered board immediately solves that problem, and provides a much more convenient power-supply mounting surface under that elevated back-row..

As it stands, the only reason I'm using those current PedalTrain boards, is because of the light-weight aluminum construction. I suspect that if someone comes along with a good 2-tier aluminum frame pedal-board, that the world will beat a path to their door.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Welp…

After many years of trying lots of FUN stuff, I'm back to basics and very happy with it:

* BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay
* BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus
* BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay
* Ibanez TS-9RI
* BOSS TR-2 Tremolo
* BOSS TU-2 Tuner (also powers the other pedals)

BOSS BCB-6 carrying case.

My secret weapon for amazing sounds here is putting the DM-2 in front of the CH-1. With both on I get some incredibly cool sounds!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:29 PM

6L6,

How are you using the tremolo? Are you using it for acoustic-guitar, or electric-guitar only?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:09 PM

No doubt about it, if you are a pedal-phile you will be changing things out all the time. I've settled down a bit but plan on building an envelope filter soon. I also have been a loyal Boss user since I started playing years ago. I find that some are perfect out of the box but others benefit greatly from modding. I can't find a pic but mine goes roughly like this:

Guitar -> Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box -> Dunlop Wah -> Modded Boss CE-2 Compressor -> Dunlop UV-1 Univibe -> DOD Classic Tube -> Big Muff Pi Ram's Head -> Modded Boss MT-2 -> Boss Phaser -> Boss CE-2 Chorus -> Boss DD-2 Delay -> Amp

Depending on what amp I use I might throw in an old MXR noise gate.

Fun stuff!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
No doubt about it, if you are a pedal-phile you will be changing things out all the time. I've settled down a bit but plan on building an envelope filter soon. I also have been a loyal Boss user since I started playing years ago. I find that some are perfect out of the box but others benefit greatly from modding. I can't find a pic but mine goes roughly like this:

Guitar -> Sarno Steel Guitar Black Box -> Dunlop Wah -> Modded Boss CE-2 Compressor -> Dunlop UV-1 Univibe -> DOD Classic Tube -> Big Muff Pi Ram's Head -> Modded Boss MT-2 -> Boss Phaser -> Boss CE-2 Chorus -> Boss DD-2 Delay -> Amp

Depending on what amp I use I might throw in an old MXR noise gate.

Fun stuff!
I'm almost ruing the day I decided to get into pedals,,,, I couldda bought myself a brand new Tone-King Sky King, or a Carr Rambler or Viceroy,,,, and still had a huge chunka change left in my pocket.

Oh well, the worst is over now. I just got the last bill for my recent pedal binge, and it's time to start looking over the horizon. Starting from scratch can can sure put a dent in the budget.(20+ pedals in a four week span)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars