The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM

Default How long do nylon strings take to settle in tune

I heard nylon strings are hard to tune, espacally if new. It seems like nylon strings are stretched further away from their breaking limit than steel strings.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Depends on the strings, but most will settle down after a few days of playing. I like to leave them overnight before starting to try to play, though, or you're just tuning all the time.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM

2-3 days is fairly standard in my experience, but some take less or more time, too.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM

I don't even bother restringing a nylon unless I have at least 3 days, preferably 5 or more, before the next time I have to play it live.

After a full restringing, I manually stretch them, then tune up a semi-tone and leave them overnight. Retune in the morning (they'll be flat by then) up a semi-tone sharp, leave again. Repeat that every evening and morning for the next day or two, then tune to normal before playing and they'll be right to make it through a set without drifting significantly flat.

I have no idea how people do it that only have one guitar. Maybe they just put up with constantly retuning whenever they change a string.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:24 AM

In my experience, a week or more at least. Completely different to steel strings. The only good thing is that they last far, far longer once on.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-17-2013, 01:46 AM

There should be an axiom about this.

If you are going to a gig with steel strings, bring backup strings in case you break one. If you are going to a gig with nylon strings, bring a backup guitar that is already strung...

You can't replace a nylon string and just keep performing. It will go out of tune constantly. Of course, nylon strings rarely break, so this only applies to performers that play nightly or semi-nightly and have a lot on the line (i.e. they are famous and playing a major gig and need to consider even rare events like a nylon string breaking: I, myself would have no problem bringing a single classical guitar to a coffee house gig).

Though, most touring bands have backup guitars instead of backup strings, so at a certain level, your roadie will handle it either way.

Last edited by Special B; 10-17-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:05 AM

As people have said, 2 to 3 days is about average. But even after that time you will find that nylon strings will still need tuning more often than steel. I check tuning every time I play - and recheck every half or so during playing too.

That's the way it is with nylon strings but it's a small price to pay for the rewards they bring.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:52 AM

I have mentioned this a few times,
String the guitar in the evening , tune it to pitch,
Let it sit 24 hours for natural stretching,,,
than retune and play,, most of the initial stretching
will be done,, the strings will sound better and last longer
this is much superior to manual stretching,

Rick
Old 10-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Install the new strings, tune each string about 1/2 - 1 step sharp and let the guitar sit overnight. Tune the guitar again to pitch. The strings will be very stable and stay in tune much better.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsDave View Post
Install the new strings, tune each string about 1/2 - 1 step sharp and let the guitar sit overnight. Tune the guitar again to pitch. The strings will be very stable and stay in tune much better.

Yep,, thats the ticket , i agree 100%
Rick
Old 10-29-2013, 05:36 PM

Cool How long does it take?

I agree that it takes a wee bit longer for nylon strings to settle, but you can speed the process up considerably by gently stretching each string all the way up and down the full length of each string, each time you install a new string. Then tune to concert pitch and proceed to the next string. As soon as you finish installing the full set, gently stretch again and retune. Repeat every hour, until they settle, or let them set overnight and then continue. 24-48 hours should be enough, if there are no other issues.

The method you use to tie off each string will make a difference on how long they take to settle. At the headstock, each string should be wound from the inside of the post outward, and never cross over the string to lock it in place. If you wind from outside in, the string will not seat correctly in the nut and will keep going flat, and no more than 2 turns of the bass strings and 3 turns on the trebles on the posts.

Many people have problems because they wind the string around itself at the post, but that is totally unnecessary. And, a single wrap at the bridge tie block for bass strings, and a double wrap on the trebles is all that is needed. And don't trim the strings until after the strings have completely settled. I hope that helps.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
I agree that it takes a wee bit longer for nylon strings to settle, but you can speed the process up considerably by gently stretching each string all the way up and down the full length of each string, each time you install a new string.

settled. I hope that helps.

Glen
The above method, is better than nothing,, but it is more effective
to allow the string to stretch naturally overnight,,,
Stretching stresses the string,,,, better to tune it 1/2 step sharp and
let it sit unplayed overnight.

Rick
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Some very good advise in this thread.

But for me, it always seems to take just one more day....
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 PM

On all my ukes and classical guitars, I use the Taylor "stretch" method that can be found in this video at 9:26:
Restringing Your Taylor Guitar

Granted for my steel strings I only have to do this once or twice and I'm good to go, but on my nylon/nylgut strings, I usually have to do this about 4-5 times. Either way, I'm normally only slightly out of tune the next day. If you're at a gig and a nylon string breaks, you could definitely get this to a usable level on a 15 minute break.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
... but you can speed the process up considerably by gently stretching each string all the way up and down...

....gently stretch again and retune. Repeat every hour..

So much gentleness? Why?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical