The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 PM

I've got a 42ce. Works great.

If you don't NEED the 24, then wait. It will be worth it. If used is not an option, you won't go wrong with the 24. Build quality will be exceptional. Tonal quality is a matter of opinion. Either option isn't ignorant, both would be a good choice.

You are in a win win situation here! that's a good place to be!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstsign View Post
Hi,

today I went to a store just to have a try for the NS24. The dealer made a real good price. Itīs the upgraded NS 24ce with the light gloss finish (they changed from the satin look) on the top side.
I like the guitar a lot and Iīm pretty sure it is worth the money (or what is your opinion?) - but in truth - I wish I could afford the 72 / 74 though I never played them.

So what do you think? Should I wait for a few more years... :-( or buy the 24 and be happy with the one I can afford at the time?
I have to tell the dealer tomorrow if I will buy the guitar.. so please hurry up for your answer!

Thanks alot,
Dani
If you are looking at new, I might suggest you buy the "24" from Jim at Guitar Rodeo. Then, when you're ready for the "72/74" he will give you 100% of what you paid as a trade in if you've kept it in very good condition. You WILL NOT find a greater discount off of MSRP than what Jim offers. The same in a very few places, but not better.

FWIW
Old 12-18-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
If you are looking at new, I might suggest you buy the "24" from Jim at Guitar Rodeo. Then, when you're ready for the "72/74" he will give you 100% of what you paid as a trade in if you've kept it in very good condition. You WILL NOT find a greater discount off of MSRP than what Jim offers. The same in a very few places, but not better.

FWIW
I second this!!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:32 AM

The NS24's went to a 'light gloss' finish? I did not know that... I bought an NS24 last year about this time and I like it, but I don't consider it a 'classical' guitar... I consider it a 'nylon string' guitar and although I tend to play music that is most closely associated with 'classical', 'spanish', and 'renaissance' music, I also play rock stuff that is more typically played on a steel string (Yes, Zeppelin acoustic, etc). It's a versatile instrument and although I'd rather have a 'US built' guitar for my $1,000, that's a minor quibble. It isn't the most compelling instrument unplugged, but I don't perform in concert anywhere outside of my living room. The playability is superb and it's a whole lotta guitar plugged in, which I've only just begun to appreciate. If you've got the kind of coin to go for a 7-series Taylor, go for it... but the NS24 is still a good way to go if you're approaching the acquisition of a nylon string as a side-bar/check-it-out-to-see-if-I-like-it proposition.

Taylor NS24e
Fender Modern Player Telecaster
Taylor 314ce
Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Old 12-18-2010, 09:57 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I thought the OP was in Germany, which makes Jim and other US retailers a bit of a problem, when you factor in the cost of shipping. If I lived in Germany and wanted to buy a nylon-string guitar, I'd look at European models, which will be priced lower, probably have better "classical" tone, and, not insignificantly, have better service options readily available than the Taylor. I'm a value shopper, with a lot less cash on hand than some of the people on the forum, so that's where my biases enter the equation: if the sound isn't significantly better, either plugged in or fully acoustic, then I'm not going to pay a lot more than a similar instrument.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 PM

If you like it, buy it. Who cares what other say
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Decided

Thanks to you all for your comments and advice!

This is how the story ends:

In the meantime I found out, though the 24ce really sounded great to me, I would not be as happy to buy it as if ordering a 72ce. And while searching for
prices for the 24 I found a new 72ce in an italian guitar store at an increadible promotion price. It`s a brandnew guitar built in 2009 with the fishman, maybe this makes the promotion - I don`t know. Itīs about xxx Euros.
So I sold my finest camera stuff at ebay in between 2 days to afford the guitar!
I didn`t use the Contax / Zeiss analog system anymore but I almost cried when holding it in my hands for the last time (women...).
I ordered the guitar yesterday and now Iīm looking forward to a new friendship ;-)

To the owners of Taylor NS: Which capo do you use with the NS? I have a G7th - does it fit and will it be "pleasant" to the nylon strings?

Dani

Last edited by Forensicguy; 12-22-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Price Discussions Not Allowed per Forum Rules
Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Congratulations Dani!

I have a G7th and an NS74ce. Although I rarely use a capo on the nylon strings, it does the job nicely when I do.

-David
Old 12-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Im glad it worked out in your favor. Keep us posted once it arrives.

Last edited by Play2PraiseHim; 12-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks to you all for your comments and advice!

This is how the story ends:

I found a new 72ce in an italian guitar store at an increadible promotion price. It`s a brandnew guitar built in 2009 with the fishman, maybe this makes the promotion - I don`t know. Itīs about xxx0 Euros.
So I sold my finest camera stuff at ebay in between 2 days to afford the guitar!

Dani
Not sure what shipping costs to you from U.S. are as compared to from Italy, but that price is hundreds more than Guitar Rodeo's for a 2010.

Just sayin'...it's D*** hard to beat Jim's prices, anywhere in the WORLD!!!

Last edited by Forensicguy; 12-22-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Edited quote: Price Discussions Not Allowed per Forum Rules
Old 12-22-2010, 03:35 AM

@M19:

From Italy the shipping ist half the price then I have seen the shipping cost from the US.
And it`s a europeean country - I won`t have to pay toll (xxx from list price)
and the xx% VAT on top.

I had a look at guitarrodeo - they don`t have mentioned any prices to the NS-Series - so how about do you know that they are less expensive?

Last edited by Forensicguy; 12-22-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Price Discussions Not Allowed per Forum Rules
Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 AM

and xxx Euros are in Dollar:

xxx

mostly the offers for the 72ce in US starting at $xxxx.

Other people will surely be interrested by the offers you found for the 72ce at guitarrodeo.

Last edited by Forensicguy; 12-22-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Price Discussions Not Allowed per Forum Rules
Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
@M19:

From Italy the shipping ist half the price then I have seen the shipping cost from the US.
And it`s a europeean country - I won`t have to pay toll (xxx from list price)
and the xx% VAT on top.

I had a look at guitarrodeo - they don`t have mentioned any prices to the NS-Series - so how about do you know that they are less expensive?
PM on its way.

Last edited by Forensicguy; 12-22-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 AM

Not sure where you are in your buying decision, but I own an NS24ce and it is a great guitar. I've played the NS72 and other Taylor nylons, but IMHO, for money, the NS24ce is a great deal. Laminate back and sides made in Mexico doesn't mean anything to me - the guitar plays great and sounds good. In the event I was going to spend several thousand on a nylon string, I would look at more of a true classical than the Taylors - they are great for what they are, but to my ears, they are not competitive to true classicals in that price range.

2010 Simon Fay German Spruce/ EIR OM
2010 Taylor NS24ce Nylon
2006 Cordoba 55R Nylon
2008 Takamine Nylon Crossover TC135SC
1978 Takamine Nylon C128
2006 Miranda Nylon (My Motorcycle Guitar)
1973 Guild G37 Sitka/Maple
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM

You are right - I loved how the 24 sounded, played and felt.
But somehow I would like to own the same guitar as my favourite Singer/ Songwriter and wanted to have a cedar top - because of the looking. If I wouldn`t have found 72 for such a good price I surely bought the 24.

I had the possibiliy to try the 24 and 32 at the same time. To me the 24 sounded more as a classical than the 32. 24 had more sustain at all and more "honey" in the trebles. I don`t play classic, more jazzy and fingerpickiing style.
But I know, I have to improve my skills a lot to be worth playing such an expensive guitar...

Sometimes the heart goes over the head...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical