The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-26-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Will you order the 330, or go a different direction? Have you considered a QSC K8.2 on a pole?
Not sure .. Although as they say " this could have happened for a reason".
If I do decide to get the 330x .. I'm def gonna try it out first someplace. But I don't think GC stores stock them.

But if I go up to the 330x price then the Bose L1 Compact comes into play...

I really liked the SA220 sound (for the day I had it)... Also it worked really great with the TCH Play Acoustic.
Especially, using separate Guitar and Mic D/I output mode into the 2 channels on the Soloamp. Sounded much better than the single (L) Mono output of the Play.

One comment unrelated to sound .. I don't care for the traditional Tripod pole stands (in general).
Especially for the smaller upscale places I play. The PA speaker on a Tripod stand looks bulky.
At least the SoloAmp was sleeker looking than say a PA Box Speaker.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
If I do decide to get the 330x .. I'm def gonna try it out first someplace. But I don't think GC stores stock them.
I live in the Washington DC area and the eight GC's within 50 miles of Arlington Va. all have them listed as available for delivery within 3-7 days, none in stock. Would really like to hear one before buying.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I live in the Washington DC area and the eight GC's within 50 miles of Arlington Va. all have them listed as available for delivery within 3-7 days, none in stock. Would really like to hear one before buying.
When I spoke to Fishman yesterday about the issue I had with the SA220.. I asked the tech rep about the 330x. He simply replied that the 220 was 9 years old technology and been out of production for 2 years. Not that there's anything wrong with the older 220. But the 330x has all the latest technology and expansion options.

I had paid around $600 for a "new" 220... which I felt was a great deal. But used ones go for $500. So if the New 330x is $900-1000 than it still seems worth to find a nice 220.

I liked the 220 .. Nice I/O and built-in reverb. It sounds really good! I would "imagine" the 330x would be at least as nice if not better. Would be nice to hear!
Old 04-07-2018, 06:56 AM

Hi guys. New to this great forum I want to talk about my new Fishman SA330x. I have the basic model without sub or mixer. I just can’t use it with my Cole Clark Angel 2 solid wood acoustic as the feedback issues are out of control. If I turn up the gain to half on the master and channel gain, I get terrible feedback. I turn down, then it’s way too quiet for even small gigs. I turn the feedback pot to tame the feedback, but it’s in at least 3 frequencies, and I just can’t use it live at the moment as it is just a problem. I feel like I can’t play at any moderate level without something feeding back. I’m thinking I’ll have to buy a feedback eliminator unit this week to tame 2-4 frequencies so I can use the Fishman again. Very frustrating as I don’t have any problems with a normal PA system.
Anyone else having trouble with the 330 with feedback issues?
Old 04-07-2018, 11:02 AM

I had a 220 for a while and now a SA330 since December. I've done about 20 shows since getting the 330. I use a Gibson Hummingbird Pro with the Baggs Element pickup system and occasionally an S.L. Mossman with a K&k mini. I haven't experienced feedback unless I cranked volumes to extremes even with he K&K which should be more prone to feedback. I recently added a TC Helicon play acoustic pedal. I played on a huge patio last Saturday. I still didn't need to turn the master past about 11:00. It covered the patio well at that rather loud volume without a hint of feedback

The Fishman has the phase inverter switch to combat feedback and also the feed back suppression control. Have you tried those? Have you tried it with other guitars?
Old 04-10-2018, 09:07 AM

I’ve also tried my Takamine G series laminate guitar with the 330 and it doesn’t feedback as much, but it still does. I have been practicing with it in my small studio, so maybe has something to do with the room as well. I think the feedback destroyer is the way to go, and I’m picking one up this week. I know those feedback units change the tone considerably, as they are notching out a few frequencies, but I have no choice, I don’t want to pierce the ears of my audience with unwanted feedback.

These Fishman sticks do feedback, and it ain’t pleasant!
Old 04-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I have been using an SA220 for10 years with no feedback issues.

Steve
Old 04-10-2018, 10:02 AM

....not sure why you're experiencing feedback.......I'm getting none of that with mine.....your statement seems a bit definitive....there may be other issues.....
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 04-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Tonydean....In your first post you mention having the master and gain up to half. Is that in your small studio you also mention? I would be amazed if it didn't feed back at that volume level in a small room. Turn it down to a reasonable level. I didn't even need my SA330 turned past 11:00 on a huge 150 foot long patio. I run mine at about 9:30 on the master and the gain just below clipping on the channel gains in a medium size bar.

Last edited by Guitaurman; 04-10-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:50 PM

I'm curious if anyone has done an A-B comparison to Bose L1C system? Similar price range, so seems like they would be worth comparing. I'm guessing the Fishman is heavier, since it's more steel construction? Plus doesn't have sub included. So my main question is what advantage might it have over Bose? Sound comparison? The post earlier in this thread seemed to lack confidence he had his adjusted well when compared to Bose, but that still didn't help build any confidence it would be a better system in any way.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
I'm curious if anyone has done an A-B comparison to Bose L1C system? Similar price range, so seems like they would be worth comparing. I'm guessing the Fishman is heavier, since it's more steel construction? Plus doesn't have sub included. So my main question is what advantage might it have over Bose? Sound comparison? The post earlier in this thread seemed to lack confidence he had his adjusted well when compared to Bose, but that still didn't help build any confidence it would be a better system in any way.
Use the search feature on this forum and you will be reading for a while. Quite a few posts comparing the two systems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification