The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Stripped truss rod????

I took my Tele to a WORLD FAMOUS guitar store today. They practically wrote the book on the value of "acoustic" guitars. But I digress. I showed them my Telecaster and they said they would pay me either $600 or $650 cash for it. It's a Telebration guitar that started life as a $1700 guitar. I was happy with that because that's about what I had in the guitar and it has a few bumps and bruises plus it's not in the original case. They looked it over and said the truss rod was stripped and they didn't want it. The said with the strings it has on it that it played great and didn't need an adjustment. I was shocked!!! But with their reputation I figured they were right. I got home, tuned my Tele, and proceeded to adjust the truss rod both ways just fine....????...anyone have a comment on this?...also, they didn't try to "low ball" me after they told me this...matter of fact when they told me this I would have taken $450 for it...but they said they didn't want it with a stripped truss rod....crazy...how could someone at a reputable shop miss something like this?????
Old 02-10-2015, 11:07 PM

If it's working for you they probably just didn't want to buy your guitar. Why the "fib" is a good question. Part it out and you can most likely get more $ anyway.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:01 PM

If you are looking to sell it, why not take it to another shop. You at least have a price range for your guitar.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-13-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
I took my Tele to a WORLD FAMOUS guitar store today. They practically wrote the book on the value of "acoustic" guitars. But I digress. I showed them my Telecaster and they said they would pay me either $600 or $650 cash for it. It's a Telebration guitar that started life as a $1700 guitar. I was happy with that because that's about what I had in the guitar and it has a few bumps and bruises plus it's not in the original case. They looked it over and said the truss rod was stripped and they didn't want it. The said with the strings it has on it that it played great and didn't need an adjustment. I was shocked!!! But with their reputation I figured they were right. I got home, tuned my Tele, and proceeded to adjust the truss rod both ways just fine....????...anyone have a comment on this?...also, they didn't try to "low ball" me after they told me this...matter of fact when they told me this I would have taken $450 for it...but they said they didn't want it with a stripped truss rod....crazy...how could someone at a reputable shop miss something like this?????
Gruhn's can be a funny place.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Default All is well....

Went back to the guitar shop today. Told them about checking the truss rod and it appears to work fine. They checked it out, and said, "yea...can't really understand why we told you it didn't when you came in last time...it works fine"...long story short...the apoligized and paid me the "higher" of the price range they quoted me last time.....and that's about what I had in my guitar...End of story....good end!!!!...(now...what to buy????)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars