The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
How about applying a cost/benefit analysis to the decision-making process.

Step 1: Assign a page in a notebook to each guitar.
Step 2: Assign a realistic sale price to each guitar, and write it at the top.
Step 3: Make two columns on each page.
Step 4: In the left-hand column on each page, write down all of the reasons you pick it up and play it (tone, playability, sentiment, etc).
Step 5: In the right-hand column, write down all of the reasons it stays in its case (scale length, nut width, size, won't stay in tune, doesn't do it for you musically).
Step 6: Assign a score (1-10) that sums up each column overall.
Step 7: Create a ratio for each guitar (Column A/Column B).
Step 8: Factor in the realistic sale price to the ratio.
Step 9: Sell the five guitars with a combination of the highest resale value, lowest upside and largest downside.

Having said all that, I have never had to guts to downsize. I know the day will come, but I am not there yet.
My problem is I actually play them all.
Even the “case queen” comes out a couple times a month for a jaunt.
I think I’ve become “guitar obsessed”.
I have six kids and two grands.

So, in theory I have an instrument for each of them.
I keep a Luna 1/2 size guitar around for my foster grands, and my eventual step-grands to bang on rather than my Yairi.

I can afford to keep them all.
I don’t have any projects on the burner.

But my wife would appreciate the space.
And I could turn five into one great all-arounder....

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 04-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like space is the problem. Go rent an air conditioned small storage unit.

Keep the guitars there.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Guest 728

I can't tell you how to make your decision, but I can assure you that once you do, you will feel more free. Maintaining the mementos of even the fondest memories can be a burden.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:10 PM

IMO, if you feel that you need to let go, you shouldn't dispose of . . .

That is, rid yourself of only the guitars toward which you feel no attachment.

Best wishes!
Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Letting go is never easy. But, if you start with one, it is possible the others will become easier to part with.

The memories and the meaning...you will always have those, whether the guitars remain or not.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Charlie View Post
How about applying a cost/benefit analysis to the decision-making process.

Step 1: Assign a page in a notebook to each guitar.
Step 2: Assign a realistic sale price to each guitar, and write it at the top.
Step 3: Make two columns on each page.
Step 4: In the left-hand column on each page, write down all of the reasons you pick it up and play it (tone, playability, sentiment, etc).
Step 5: In the right-hand column, write down all of the reasons it stays in its case (scale length, nut width, size, won't stay in tune, doesn't do it for you musically).
Step 6: Assign a score (1-10) that sums up each column overall.
Step 7: Create a ratio for each guitar (Column A/Column B).
Step 8: Factor in the realistic sale price to the ratio.
Step 9: Sell the five guitars with a combination of the highest resale value, lowest upside and largest downside.

Having said all that, I have never had to guts to downsize. I know the day will come, but I am not there yet.
This does take the sentimentality out of it!

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 04-10-2018, 05:56 PM

Does anyone else see a signature line " a bunch of guitars I enjoy", hear a plea to help thin the herd, and not want to know what they are? I want to know ! What is the best laminate guitar ever made and which your father helped pick out? Thats one you dont sell.

"Stinky"? You named it. Growing up the family once bought a VW type 3 named Trudy from a woman who cried when it was time to turn over the keys. I'm not being Snarky. It could be a $35 Rogue.no matter. Make sure Stinky gets a good home.

Not to sound dreadful but I've played tons of guitars for my own Mom. GAS, guitar flipping. A moment might be special. The particular guitar? Maybe not so much. But thats just me. Moms still alive. Dads death was logistics. I wish he was still here to hear how good I've gotten and to hear my band. But I couldnt actually tell you what guitar I had then. He liked my version of You've Got Gold. The song mattered. Not the particular guitar.

But lets see that list.

Last edited by cyclistbrian; 04-10-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-22-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
Does anyone else see a signature line " a bunch of guitars I enjoy", hear a plea to help thin the herd, and not want to know what they are? I want to know ! What is the best laminate guitar ever made and which your father helped pick out?

But lets see that list.
1980 Alvarez 5013 my dad gave me $100 of the $150 purchase price. It has
Been upgraded over the year with new tuners, K&K, ebony bridge pins.

1991 Alvarez-Yairi GY-1...it came and found me days before my mother passed.

2006 Alvarez PD85s...my wife loves the way it sounds. And it is the lightest, sweetest sounding guitar.

2013 Alvarez MD70CE...bought for my 50th Birthday.

2015 Alvarez ADA1965–“Stinky” my $100 rescue that has been restored and is, with the exception of a strong smell of cigarettes one great sounding guitar.

2014 Taylor 110e...”gig” ready. Bass like a Martin. Trademark Taylor playability.

2017 Takamine GJ72-CE-12Nat...naming aside, quite simply a very fine 12-string. And equipped to plug in.

1998-Godin Multiac Steel...”Frankenberry”—the last time I was with my mom, it was this guitar I played and I sang for her. It’s been thru quite a lot. It has an Epiphone Les Paul neck, I had a Luthier friend get it “up to snuff”, and it plays and sounds amazing plugged and unplugged. Frankenberry because it’s a parts guitar, and it’s very blue.

Journey Instruments OF660...my travel guitar. Carbon Fiber, removable neck. Fits into a 22x14x9 backpack. And dagnabbit, the thing sounds good plugged in and unplugged.

Luna Safari...I bought if so the grands would have something to play on, and not bother grandpa’s guitars.

Stinky has the least emotional involvement.
The MD70CE and GY1 are very similar. Spruce over Rosewood, decent pickup and preamp.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Gibson G45

Last edited by Oldguy64; 04-23-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:28 AM

Frankly that Taylor 110e isn't doing anything that the Masterworks Alvarez Dread isn't already doing.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-23-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Frankly that Taylor 110e isn't doing anything that the Masterworks Alvarez Dread isn't already doing.
Actually it and Stinky are on the “short list”
Frankenberry was on the list till I handed to my luthier because it played dead on the D and G strings at the 12th fret.
He had the neck off it four times but he finally got it sanded and shimmed so it plays perfectly.

A lot of my problem is that each guitar has a story tied to an emotional event.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Gibson G45
Old 04-23-2018, 06:01 AM

I wouldn't sell anything with a real emotional attachment that involves loved ones. Those would have the highest place for me.

The ones that are only special because you restored them would be fine to let go. You gave them new life, and they can go on and become sentimental to someone else now.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 AM

For me it is quite easy: I use the money for a considerably more expensive guitar.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-23-2018, 07:31 AM

Being logical and adult about a decision is the starting point I believe. You know how much room you have for clothes (closets, drawers). You know how much room you have for food (pantry, cabinets). Likewise, you know how much room you have for your guitars. Life is so much more than how many guitars (or any other possession) you have. Quality of life comes from harmony and balance in your life and peace of mind. You stated you downsized and afterwards went from 4 to 10 guitars. Maybe it's time to re-balance things and go back to 4, or the appropriate amount of possessions that will fit in harmony in your life.

As to the procedure, I do similar to Charlie without the charting and organization. I decide where I want to be and start with that number. If it's 4, I set aside the 2 or 3 that are lifers. Then I directly compare two guitars and set aside the loser for sale. I then do that until the last one (to complete the 4 in this case) stands alone. Without going back and sentimentalizing it, they go. Whether for sale or donation or gifting - they go. Then live your balanced life and engage in your other passions, hobbies, relationships.... Even as a professional guitar player for over 30 years, guitar is only a small part of my life . There is far too much to do to be consumed by "too much" of anything. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:43 AM

As someone way too emotionally attached to objects myself, I really liked the suggestion of donating to those in need and who can use the guitars to start making some memories of their own.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:46 AM

Default Feeling your Pain 64

I sure hope the 64 is not how old you are that's not old in my book ( being 64 ) anyhow I do feel your pain. But for me it was a touch easier no longer recording or playing out and then downsizing to 750Sq/ft made it so at first I tried to keep them on a stand in the living room but eventually realized I was hogging to much living space so I then I got top the point where it was simple happy wife made for a happy life so when I started at 27 guitars and then down to 13 and then I am finally down to 4 ( 1 in the closet 1 wall hanger and 2 on stands and with my grand kids starting to play will be down to 2 left or maybe only 1 ).
We can't let our emotions play into it and must be practical at the end you'll always have those memories of the song you played for both of them and that's what counts in our hearts and yep know its not easy but you will feel better in the long run so good luck my friend be strong for yourself. ship

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion