The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-20-2024, 10:25 AM

Default Crossovers

I went thread searching last night. So, correct me please if I am wrong, but the first solid body crossovers start around $1200?
I watched a lot of Videos with the Cordoba 12 and the Martin 000c-16e.

i really didn't want electronics. I just wanted a good sounding 'basic' guitar. The one I coughed up was cedar over rosewood.. I don't imagine I'll find a crossover with that combo under 2K, correct?

any sleeper/secret Laminated versions? Maybe even a 3/4 size??

I also want something I could put those high tension strings on? I learned most of the classical pieces I know on steel and adjusting the feel to regular nylons was tough... I thought those might be a little easier to finesse under my monstrously calloused hands (I am a tradesman)

Last edited by baseball; 01-20-2024 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added text.
Old 01-20-2024, 12:17 PM
Musical minimalist

Might want to edit the "Solid body" to all solid wood....threw me at first.

I don't think you'll have any problem with hard tension strings on any instrument.

Ceciltguitar has a wonderful Cordoba Solista listed here (does have electronics though) within your range - might be worth a look. Almost bought it myself a couple times!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...hlight=solista

Old 01-20-2024, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

In addition to the Cordoba, I’d suggest a look at this Cervantes Crossover I for sale here on the forum. Includes a nice video clip of the guitar.

FWIW, I have the same guitar, maybe a couple of years newer … it’s become my daily player. The neck is very comfortable for someone coming from a steel string background: slight radius, 1 7/8” nut, relatively thin flattened D shape. Worth checking out.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=679929
Mark Campellone 16" Archtop
Alejandro Cervantes Crossover I
Old 01-21-2024, 07:38 PM

I only dabble in this area, but I picked up a used Kremona Verea to experiment with. I was pleasantly surprised with it, though I'll admit my experience lies much more with electrics and steel string acoustics. It is solid cedar over lam rosewood, with a rosewood fingerboard. The fretboard is narrow like a crossover, but it is still flat. It has the typical crossover electronics and cutaway. It has an asymmetric neck carve and I've been using D'Addario Pro Arte hard tension strings on it. I've only had one run-in with a Cordoba Fusion and I liked my Kremona much more, but am aware that I usually tweak and settle-in with my own guitars over time.

Used, I think these are a relative bargain for a "visitor" like me, but someone with more refined tastes might be looking further upstream.

https://www.kremonausa.com/en/perfor...verea-kremona/

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2020 Breedlove Wildwood Concertina
2003 Guild JF30-12
Kremona Verea VA Crossover Nylon
2005 Rogue Biscuit Resonator
1960's Harmony Patrician Archtop
2008 Eastman AR810-7 Archtop
Old 01-27-2024, 08:31 PM

Default Cordoba C10 Parlor

The Cordoba C10 Parlor might be worth a look:
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/guitars/c10-parlor/

It is all solid woods, with exactly the woods you are looking for; a cedar top and rosewood b/s, no electronics, MSRP $1660.
Old 01-28-2024, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2002 View Post
In addition to the Cordoba, I’d suggest a look at this Cervantes Crossover I for sale here on the forum. Includes a nice video clip of the guitar.

FWIW, I have the same guitar, maybe a couple of years newer … it’s become my daily player. The neck is very comfortable for someone coming from a steel string background: slight radius, 1 7/8” nut, relatively thin flattened D shape. Worth checking out.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=679929
I also own a Cervantes Crossover 1 very much like the one for sale in the AGF Classifieds. It is the best crossover classical I have ever owned and I've owned a fair number over the years.

It was fairly expensive. I bought mine new from Dream Guitars some years ago. Used ones are hard to find. $1800 is a good price.

- Glenn
Old 02-09-2024, 07:31 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Might want to edit the "Solid body" to all solid wood....threw me at first.

I don't think you'll have any problem with hard tension strings on any instrument.

Ceciltguitar has a wonderful Cordoba Solista listed here (does have electronics though) within your range - might be worth a look. Almost bought it myself a couple times!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...hlight=solista
Perhaps this would be of interest for the cordoba

https://youtu.be/JisAvqZQMPc?si=KRKztGk2SAXZS7rL
Old 02-09-2024, 08:10 AM

No idea how good-sounding they are IRL but Breedlove make cedar-topped crossovers. No RW models that I know of, but there's a current-production model with myrtlewood B&S and someone on the jazzguitar.be forum has a very heavily discounted high-end N25e for sale.

Tip: a new nylon-string player with the OP's kind of hands might want to start out with brass-wound or even PB-wound bass strings (GHS 2100w for the latter). The usual copper-wounds wear fast enough as it is already for experienced players.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-09-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conecaster View Post
Perhaps this would be of interest for the cordoba

https://youtu.be/JisAvqZQMPc?si=KRKztGk2SAXZS7rL
Conecaster,
Embedding is easy on the forum. Use the Youtube button and paste the link between the Youtube brackets. You need to remove the portion directly in front of the single "/" before the embed will work, though.

https://youtu.be/JisAvqZQMPc?si=OjnX72lTLGzqfWST

/JisAvqZQMPc?si=OjnX72lTLGzqfWST is what will actually remain between the Youtube link after you remove the extra bit.

Here's the embed:

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-09-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post
I went thread searching last night. So, correct me please if I am wrong, but the first solid body crossovers start around $1200?

i really didn't want electronics. I just wanted a good sounding 'basic' guitar. The one I coughed up was cedar over rosewood.. I don't imagine I'll find a crossover with that combo under 2K, correct?

I also want something I could put those high tension strings on? I learned most of the classical pieces I know on steel and adjusting the feel to regular nylons was tough... I thought those might be a little easier to finesse under my monstrously calloused hands (I am a tradesman)
I have a Cordoba Cadete that I seriously love. Surprisingly deep and resonant tone for being a 3/4 size, and has a 1-7/8" wide flat board. I thought I might not like the flat board but I find it very comfortable. I've posted this video that I shot using the new Zoom R4 32 bit float recorder latter today in the RECORD forum if you want to see it in action:

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-09-2024 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:06 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have a Cordoba C12 (spruce over rosewood) which is all solid wood and a Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra CE (crossover) which has a solid top, laminate rosewood back and sides which are on stands next to my desk waiting for me to play them. I play these two interchangeably. The C12 is richer sounding of course, but the Fusion hold's its own (otherwise it would be cased and the C5 would be next to me on a stand).

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-14-2024, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post

A few months ago, I bought a Guyatana crossover from an outfit in Jupiter, FLA, which appears to be almost the same prezact model as the Cordoba 12 Crossover? It offers the same P/U, wood combo, with a more ornate rosette... It was also cheaper from the advertised price of a Cordoba 12, by $300!

I'm totally satisfied with the guitar, and soon, I'll try a set of D'Addario extra hard tension strings, on her....

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical