The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-08-2020, 12:58 PM

Default Stringjoy Strings... My impressions. What are yours?

Good reviews on the web, and a couple of my friends use Stringjoy strings, so I thought I'd give them a try. Their claimed benefits are that they are a small company, high quality, attention to detail, they will assemble custom sets for you, and offer balanced tension sets. I ordered two sets of their Balanced Natural Bronze (80/20?) Lights (12-54).

The first guitar to get them was my Martin D-41 Reimagined. I normally gravitate to phosphor bronze strings, but on this guitar PBs sound a bit dark, so Martin 80/20 lights have become my string of choice. My first impression is that the Stringjoys lacked the zing and brightness I expect from a fresh set of 80/20 strings. They sound very neutral... almost like Monels. The bass isn't as strong as the Martin 80/20s. I really didn't like them, but didn't dislike them enough to take them off. On the positive side, they had a nice feel, and even response across all the strings.

That was three months ago, and they sound pretty much the same as when I put them on, so longevity seems pretty good. I don't sweat much when I play, and strings normally last three to six months, depending how much I play. The D-41 still sounds great, but I think it sounds better with the Martin 80/20s, so no more Stringjoys for this guitar.

Yesterday I put the second set on my HD-28 inspired guitar I built myself. This guitar is a cannon that I go back and forth between phosphor bronze and 80/20s. The strings I took off were PBs that had been on for nearly a year but still sounded quite good. Again, the Stringjoys brought the bass response down a notch and sound pretty neutral on this guitar.... no harsh zinginess you often get with new 80/20s. Overall I like them better on this than on the D-41. Sustain is great, and the notes sound very pure. The strings have a very nice feel to them. It seems the guitar has better headroom with these strings. You can really dig in without distorting.

I'm interested in hearing from others' experiences with Stringjoys.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:32 PM

I tried a set about a year ago on my D-18. They felt good on my fingers and didn't have that over zingy break in period. Unfortunately, they just kind of stayed the same for about a month. Nothing special that got me excited about them. Just kind of meh for me. A bit expensive, too. I prefer my EJ16's on the Martin.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 01-25-2021, 12:05 PM

resurrecting this thread to see if anybody has tried stringsjoy strings on their resonator and what your opinions are/were?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion