The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-12-2022, 04:17 PM

Default Solid Carved Bridges A Quick Video

I put together a Video explaining my thoughts and hands on experience as a Luthier with Purely Acoustic Arch-tops and Solid vs adjustable thumb wheel Bridges. Here’s the Link!!!! https://youtu.be/djGEJOkw9eo

Last edited by Sage Runner; 02-18-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Hi Sage. Greatly enjoyed your video and drawing upon your 45 yrs experience and am intrigued to experiment. my 29 solid top birds eye maple archtop has very simple parallel braced tonebars and has incredible volume and energy transfer to the top even with an ebony adjustable wheeled bridge ( i did rebuild the feet on it from a piece of 1815 ebony i had when i restored the git) I will venture first to simply removing the wheels and allowing the pin on bridge to sandwich the two pieces of bridge together to see if any change noted in projection, but i had thought that the simple ladder tonebar carved archtops already allowed tons of energy transfer? same as i was very surprised that a birds eye maple top would sound as good as it does..go figure i guess an anomaly or simply the 93 yrs of opening up and developing? I did look at ken parker designed solid bridges when i did the restoration but wasnt sure if it could produce any more volume than it already was. i know this git isnt a 25 lloyd loar or anything special but i havent had another acoustic archtop with this much volume (only have had 50-60s archtops before this one...german and american made) but ill let you know if i notice a difference. thanks agian for your insight, appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3rd shot.jpg (55.2 KB, 40 views)

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 02-13-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
Hi Sage. Greatly enjoyed your video and drawing upon your 45 yrs experience and am intrigued to experiment. my 29 solid top birds eye maple archtop has very simple parallel braced tonebars and has incredible volume and energy transfer to the top even with an ebony adjustable wheeled bridge ( i did rebuild the feet on it from a piece of 1815 ebony i had when i restored the git) I will venture first to simply removing the wheels and allowing the pin on bridge to sandwich the two pieces of bridge together to see if any change noted in projection, but i had thought that the simple ladder tonebar carved archtops already allowed tons of energy transfer? same as i was very surprised that a birds eye maple top would sound as good as it does..go figure i guess an anomaly or simply the 93 yrs of opening up and developing? I did look at ken parker designed solid bridges when i did the restoration but wasnt sure if it could produce any more volume than it already was. i know this git isnt a 25 lloyd loar or anything special but i havent had another acoustic archtop with this much volume (only have had 50-60s archtops before this one...german and american made) but ill let you know if i notice a difference. thanks agian for your insight, appreciated
—-Hey friend. that’s a sweet Arch top. That Birdseye is amazing. That’s a pretty rare bird. In all my years have not ever seen a old A Top with Birdseye top. I would definitely experiment. The Volume increase that I noticed was minimal . The tonal richness is what was most apparent. the small Epiphone Ritz did seem to benefit with bit more added projection. I would guess Much of the volume and tone on all them old pressed top guitars depended on the bracing. Those old factory craftsman were able to experiment around and were able to make some those tops wafer thin. There were so many variations of those old guitars back in the day it’s gotta be fun finding a gem in the mix.

Last edited by Sage Runner; 02-13-2022 at 12:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops