The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-03-2022, 09:57 PM

Default NGD! First Archtop!

Finally was able to get an Archtop and I am absolutely smitten. It’s a Loar LH-600 with a custom hand wound Lollar pickup and custom pickguard to accommodate. Absolutely amazing tones acoustic and plugged in. Acoustically it has that dry mid heavy chunk tone for comping jazz and swing in a band setting. Plugged into my Benedetto Carino 12, it has that gorgeous deep dark but defined tone for chord melody. Love the feel of the neck, rounded, fat but very comfortable. Truly cannot be happier and am now down the rabbit hole that is acoustic archtops.

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-04-2022, 01:25 AM

Congrats! Pics? I have a LH700 and one of these days I'd like to add a "proper" pickup.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-04-2022, 02:51 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Hoping to see pics... if I can help you, let me know.

How to Post Pictures on the AGF.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:31 AM

PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-04-2022, 09:27 AM

Do you know what year your model is?

Hearing you say "rounded" neck re-sparks my interest...I had one about 10 years ago, but the neck was a very hard V...it sounded great, and the neck shape was wonderful for rhythm playing, but painful for me when it came to solo guitar playing or single note lines...

If they're making these with a rounded neck profile now, I need to start saving up again.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-04-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Do you know what year your model is?

Hearing you say "rounded" neck re-sparks my interest...I had one about 10 years ago, but the neck was a very hard V...it sounded great, and the neck shape was wonderful for rhythm playing, but painful for me when it came to solo guitar playing or single note lines...

If they're making these with a rounded neck profile now, I need to start saving up again.
From the info I can find online about their serial number system, it was made in September 2008

PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-07-2022, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your new Loar archtop! Awesome! Have fun!

- Glenn
Old 02-09-2022, 09:38 PM

Congrats on that New Arch top. I’ve never played an Eastman but everything I have read has been positive. A old Co-worker friend bought a Eastman Arch 20 plus years ago and still plays it in His Cowboy Band at weddings and engagements.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Runner View Post
Congrats on that New Arch top. I’ve never played an Eastman but everything I have read has been positive. A old Co-worker friend bought a Eastman Arch 20 plus years ago and still plays it in His Cowboy Band at weddings and engagements.
The OP bought a Loar, not an Eastman.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
The OP bought a Loar, not an Eastman.
I did buy a Loar not an Eastman

However, I am very interested in them as I have been reading a lot of great things about them. Joe Pisano is a big influence of mine and have certainly been eyeing his signature model, the AR880ce.

PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-15-2022, 01:53 AM

Such great guitars these high-end acoustic Loars… It was my first and I've since bought more and much more upmarket but my LH-700 with a DeArmond is still in regular use as my workhorse 16" archie. Great acoustic tone, great electric tone. Jeff is right, the huge V neck might not be to everyone's liking for all purposes. I find it impossible to play for anything involving a barré but it's made for 4/bar rhythm playing and I also like it a lot for swing soloing.

And they're beautiful. Yours looks especially nifty with the pickguard! I might get around to do that mod sometime.

Happy playing!

Old 02-17-2022, 09:28 AM

Idk if mine is an outlier or I am just not sensitive to it coming from a vintage acoustic background, but I really don't notice a v in my neck. It is chucky (which for me I like) but I don't feel a v to my neck shape. Does anyone know if there is any variation to these or different specs depending on when they were made?

PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops