The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-21-2017, 06:36 AM

Default Why no Somogyi build threads ever show up here

Based on the wait and occasional popping up of new guitars at the high end sites, im surprised nobody ever does a new build thread for a somogyi. I think there have been perhaps 2 agf posters that have discussed theirs here if you do a google search, which isn't much considering the weight of respect he gets and the number of apprentice builds covered here.

any theories out there on why? they are also VERY few put up in classified section, when there is a moderate amount on used market at dealers...seems like owners rarely try to let them go here first....
Old 05-21-2017, 06:38 AM

Hard to keep a thread going for 10 years.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:56 AM

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe Ervin documents his builds with regular photo updates the way many other builders do. Once you've ordered a Somogyi, presumably you know what you're getting.

No updates or photos? No build thread.

Steve
Old 05-21-2017, 09:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

I believe the majority of Ervin's work goes to non-English speaking buyers. They probably are also non-English writing.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:34 AM

He has no need to advertise his guitars, documenting them would just reduce the mystique I would think.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I think mostly, he prefers to not spend his time on-line -
Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I believe the majority of Ervin's work goes to non-English speaking buyers. They probably are also non-English writing.
Are we talking principally asia?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 11:33 PM

Other than.in Japan and Korea, most Asians who would be interested enough and have the means to order somogyi guitars from the builder himself would tend to have good enough English to post here on the builds.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:43 PM

I guess (just guess) Somogyi's guitars are mainly made by his apprentices.
Who knows?!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:05 AM

I believe also that rule number 4 applies in that he does hold some "secrets" and or things he would prefer not share unless they were earned. And so probably anyone doing a build with him respects that and does not go "and now here's a shot of the bracing being put in" I know Ervin has shared tons of information freely as it is all over the internet, but I do think its somewhat known he asks people who have apprenticed for him to not go into details about that, for example, so I can see how build pics for clients are respectfully asked to not be shared.

Also I think most here, even guys who get 10k plus, are still always trying to drum up business, and build threads are a good way to stay in the public eye, Many makers may request clients to post build threads. Something tells me that at a starting price of 35k and a waiting list from Oakland to the moon that none of thats going on and he does not need to use the web to do marketing like most of us.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:17 AM

I have two on order with Ervin, as others have said he doesn't provide build photos.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Other than.in Japan and Korea, most Asians who would be interested enough and have the means to order somogyi guitars from the builder himself would tend to have good enough English to post here on the builds.
Why not Japan and Korea? English is taught and spoken there too.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 AM

Like going to a restaurant whose menu has no prices - if you have to ask - - - probably shouldn't be eating there.

Like Wayne Henderson, you don't see his builds here either - their customers just want the end product.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:14 PM

Interesting discussion. If any of my in-process work appears here it's because it's being built for a dealer, such as Trevor at Acoustic Music Co. England, and is more generic in theme. When I'm building for an individual, which is 90% of my work, I am reluctant to show the world on this forum (or Facebook) what I'm building. I feel I owe it to my customer to give him/her the first viewing of the guitar they are paying for. This applies for the wood choices, and even more so for the Inlay Art which is always drawing from a personal theme (sometimes VERY personal) to each client, and the idea that some strangers get to see a design before they do just doesn't wash with me.
Ervin and others who don't document their construction processes may have their own reasons , but this is mine.
Cheers, Grit
Old 05-24-2017, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit Laskin View Post
Interesting discussion. If any of my in-process work appears here it's because it's being built for a dealer, such as Trevor at Acoustic Music Co. England, and is more generic in theme. When I'm building for an individual, which is 90% of my work, I am reluctant to show the world on this forum (or Facebook) what I'm building. I feel I owe it to my customer to give him/her the first viewing of the guitar they are paying for. This applies for the wood choices, and even more so for the Inlay Art which is always drawing from a personal theme (sometimes VERY personal) to each client, and the idea that some strangers get to see a design before they do just doesn't wash with me.
Ervin and others who don't document their construction processes may have their own reasons , but this is mine.
Cheers, Grit
As one who documents about half his work here, I want to respond by saying that while most of my design work could not be called highly personal and does not require discretion, I usually do put any creative work in front of the customer
(assuming there is one) before it shows up here.

Most of my customer driven work that is seen here is seen because the customer WANTS to be involved in the community. Those who require discretion (rare but it happens) you never hear about at all.

Another aspect of of a build thread here is that it gives the instrument itself provenance. I imagine that in many cases, should the original customer inexplicable desire to sell down the line, some of their potential customer base has some prior knowledge of the specific instrument and that should be a good thing.

Basically, build threads are about community building. IMO, I suggest that Ervin does much of his community building via his apprentices rather than his customers and potential customers. Whatever it is, it works for him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop