The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2021, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
‘Buttery’ is just about the last word I’d choose to describe LG’s voice - ‘rusty razor-blade’ makes more sense IMHO!
Buttery probably was a bad choice! I just think it’s beautiful.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
Buttery probably was a bad choice! I just think it’s beautiful.
And there, I guess, we’ll have to agree to differ! The old saying, ‘beauty is in the eye (or, in this case, ear) of the beholder’, never rang truer!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-26-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Maybe over in the UK. Lol I don’t even think I know a single lyric in that song. Here in Canada, Oasis are never on the radio. I mean never.
"Don't Look Back in Anger" is a great song!

JK, from NY USA

Last edited by jkilgour2000; 06-26-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:49 AM
Guest 33123

One thing to keep in mind is that the UK press was happy to give the Gallaghers more than enough rope to hang themselves on. Sold a lot of papers. Reminds me of that other questionable yet at times amusing big mouth Morrissey.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
Finally someone made the Oasis vs Blur reference!
That was the big matchup in the 90s Britpop. Despite living in the U.S., I'm fortunate to have seen most of the big Britpop acts: Oasis, Blur, Suede, The Stone Roses, The Verve, Happy Mondays, Swervedriver. I never got to see Pulp, but did get to see Jarvis Cocker solo.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:29 AM

I wonder if Gibson will do a Blonde version for Kelly Jones (Stereophonics)😁
1982 Fender Stratocaster Dan Smith with custom Mahogany Hardtail body.
1984 Ibanez JA500 Jumbo acoustic.
1994 Gibson J100 Xtra.
2008 Stanford Performer PSOM-10CEQ.
2017 Fender Telecaster 1961 replica in LPB.
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune.
2021 Martin OOO-15M.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I remember trying to be a hipster contrarian as a kid, trying to convince myself that Blur was better than Oasis because everyone was listening to Oasis and most people in the US didn’t pay attention to Blur. But, man, Noel wrote some pop gems and Liam’s voice really was buttery. The rivalry, or any rivalry, is pretty hilarious, but Oasis really takes the belt.
I actually prefer Blur myself. I like them both and Oasis definitely has some iconic classics. I’d really like Oasis at first listen but then get bored of them quickly. Also, I prefer Noel’s voice to Liam.

With Blur, I feel they had more going on musically. Graham is an amazing guitar player. I initially played bass and really liked Alex’s bass lines. I like listening to the interplay between instruments. Ironically, their most popular song was them goofing off imitating grunge.

Now Noel and Damon are friends and worked on stuff together.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I guess it's only smart if you are doing it as a business/investment move. I think though that, that's an entirely different crowd and it's one that Gibson targets with these overpriced guitars. Demand is high because Gibson has created it. 200 made worldwide? Just think about the amount of people in the world. 200 people will buy anything. Just because they can put the prices this high, doesn't mean it's a necessary move. I think it just shows how far Gibson still needs to come in order to get back to where they once were.

On a side note, I do wonder if in twenty years, this era of Gibson will be looked at as the "quality control" era, bringing used prices down, even on signature models. I mean, Gibson is probably the last company I would drop thousands on at the moment.
So like I posted these are going to sell for a premium in the used market there's already one on reverb they are asking twice the original price.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
"Don't Look Back in Anger" is a great song!

JK, from NY USA
Haha, I never said it wasn't. Mind you, I am not a big Oasis fan and would never actively listen to them but I understand why people like them.

I remember back in 1997, I bought their album, "Be Here Now" so I was a fan at one point. I don't think I have listened to it since. I just personally don't find their music really sticks with me. I find REM have a similar sound but I dig REM's music far more.

Last edited by Petty1818; 06-27-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
So like I posted these are going to sell for a premium in the used market there's already one on reverb they are asking twice the original price.
Yeah and like I said, if you are buying it for an investment then good on you. I am not into that though. That's not my issue though, my issue is with Gibson overpricing signature guitars. That's been my main point from the start.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah and like I said, if you are buying it for an investment then good on you. I am not into that though. That's not my issue though, my issue is with Gibson overpricing signature guitars. That's been my main point from the start.
Fair enough. I actually didn't think this guitar was priced too highly considering it's a signature model and limited to 200 guitars.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
Fair enough. I actually didn't think this guitar was priced too highly considering it's a signature model and limited to 200 guitars.
Yeah, this one isn’t terrible. The Tom Petty one really bothered me. As a Petty fan, I know he would not have approved of that.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, this one isn’t terrible. The Tom Petty one really bothered me. As a Petty fan, I know he would not have approved of that.
I agree on that one outrageous, also the Orianthi SJ-200 $5500. Honestly I'd never heard of the lady until the guitar came out, though I've since watched her and she's very talented.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

In the UK, playing "Wonderwall" in a guitar shop is the equivalent of playing "Wagon Wheel" in a guitar shop in the USA

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I will never understand the attraction to "signature models."

Practice and dedication can bring success, not the guitar used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
Me neither but sometimes they have unique specs you can't find on regular production models.
Back to Gibson guitars. I think that the L-200 Emmylou Harris was pretty unique. A friend of mine has one and the body size is lovely. A small bodied, well balanced guitar. I don't think that Gibson make that size any more?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion