The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 PM

Default Help me design a guitar for Healdsburg!

Well, I got plenty of ideas but simply not enough time to build all the guitars I would want to take to Healdsburg.
What I want is to make an AGF chosen guitar. I want you guys to tell me what I should build and with what woods and so on. I'll probably get started around December.
So if you had all the resources I have available what would you build?
Shape, tonewoods, options, decorations, inlays, etc....
(considering my body shapes and wood available)

Here's some of my back and sides stash:

misc sets

koa

rare sets

indian rosewood

Brazilian

Madrose

Plus I have every soundboard imaginable....
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com

Last edited by Cornerstone Guitars; 10-23-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:08 AM

WOW!!! What a selection of woods. Healdsburg is a place where everyone showcases their most attention getting stuff, so as beautiful and striking as the cocobolo, Brazilian, camatillo, "the Tree" mahogany, and curly African blackwood are, I'd have to go with the first photo you had of the EIR forest grown mastergrade set. Understated perhaps, but very remarkable. Match that with a cedar top and I would come unglued.
I'm thinking that by showcasing the straight grain, you might actually set yourself apart, visually speaking. Shape-wise, I'd have to go with the "small concert series that is coming soon", according to your website.
My (very close) second place would be the first photo of "the Tree" mahogany, the darker red set. With wood as great as you have, I would keep the appointments as organic as possible, but since I am the "anti-artist" I'll leave that to better minds than mine.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:31 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Looking forward to Healdsburg

How about a Small Concert body style with the Olivewood set and a redwood/spruce top. Redwood on the treble side and spruce on the bass. 5 piece laminated neck, Florentine cutaway, ebony fretboard - blank, and pinless bridge?

JR
Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 AM

I thought the same thing at first. You have an amazing stash, but that first set of forest grown ERW just jumped out.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 10-23-2010, 02:38 AM
Racman

I'd go with a Zion build with Moonscape Quilted Sapele back and sides, Moonglow Sinker Redwood top, Florentine Cutaway, Ryan Bevel in Macassar Ebony, Beautiful BRW and Paua Abalone rosette and Paua Abalone purfling on the top only ........

or alternatively I would love to see (and own) a smaller OM with that beautifull Tiger Myrtle (2nd set#6) and possibly a creamy Engelmann/Italian Spruce top.

Last edited by Racman; 10-23-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 AM

I wouldn't even consider the assumption that my aesthetic sense is as good as yours or as some of our fellow posters, given the images I've seen of your work, Peter. However, I'd love to see you do something that steps outside the bounds of conventional wisdom in terms of sound and function. For instance, a few years ago, it happened that Steve Kaufman, flatpicker extraordinaire, was in the market for a new guitar. Now, as you'd expect, he has access to any guitar he wants, really. Conventional wisdom would have dictated a custom flatpicking cannon, but he's had those, including a gorgeous D-45, a Gallagher 7-string dread (currently for sale at dreamguitars.com, I think), and who knows what else. He seems to have favored smaller-bodied instruments for a while, and has also had Collings and Rockbridge OM-sized guitars that he's flatpicked.

What to get? I don't know how Steve arrived at his decision or what kind of research he did, but he ended up with a custom from Ken Miller -- it's #100. The top is red spruce, there's an armrest bevel, and the back and sides are, of all things, stunning quilted bubinga. Not exactly the flatpicker's first choice normally. In fact, it looks like a fingerpicker's dream, 1.75 inch nut and all. However, when flatpicked, it may be the best-sounding guitar I've heard. Smaller-bodied, with a sound that almost defies description. If you do a Youtube search for Steve and Pat Flynn doing Beaumont Rag (a wild duet in which those two guys are having WAY too much fun), you'll hear what I mean.

Whatever you decide, I'm hoping we'll get to see the build -- I'm sure that it will be drop-dead gorgeous and that I'll be drooling on my keyboard...

Old 10-23-2010, 05:14 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

"The Tree" has been getting a ton of internet/AGF chat lately.That with Snakewood Binding with a thin maple strip separating the binding. Yum
Heavily lined wide grain Adi looks and sounds stunning in my book. Add a trim line of Zipflex.
Play off the Snakewood and Zipflex for the soundhole rosette.
Curly Mahogany neck. Snakewood headplate with some Mahogany relief lines along the edges. Tasteful Abalone Markers and Zipflex Binding on Jet black Ebony. I wish we could get Black Frets.
I have Professionally Photographed a number of Guitar gatherings. One photo I always snap at each gathering is a crowd overview while the speakers talk.
ALWAYS - the crowd is mostly gray and graying or no hair lol. What I am saying is a bunch of us middle age and old dudes just can't play a Dred comfortably.
There seems to be quite a 00 trend. 24.75 scale for mine please.
If you build her a Pro Portfolio of her is on me for the cost of shipping!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

An OM or grand concert body with Italian spruce or LS redwood over the second tiger myrtle set (#6), with a flamed mahogany neck.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:11 PM

That looks like the same macassar set I was going to get almost two years ago. I think it would look outstanding finished with that straight grain and those wide dark section in the middle...simply heartbreaking to look at. That set with a redwood top and all koa binding...I need to quit now...

Whatever you chose, I know it'll be great.
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 10-23-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
An OM or grand concert body with Italian spruce or LS redwood over the second tiger myrtle set (#6), with a flamed mahogany neck.
Redwood
Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 PM

That 1st set of the Tree Mahogany is great and the 2nd set of Braz is unbelievable! I thought it looked like Ziricote or the old Madrose sets with that great figuring.

I'd love to see a multiscale Zion model with a Manzer Wedge, carved soundport and maybe a beveled cutaway! Wouldn't that be cool!
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 10-23-2010, 02:46 PM

00 body, dreadnaught depth, Adirondack top, EIR back/sides, cutaway, Celtic theme position markers and headstock inlay(Celtic crosses & Celtic knot)
Old 10-23-2010, 03:08 PM

You might want to put a time limit on this Peter, you'll get every combination under the sun.

What would you commission for your own build? That's what you should make!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Thanks guys,
I'll have to narrow down to a few sets and go from there.

Please keep them ideas coming....
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com

Last edited by Cornerstone Guitars; 10-23-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 PM

Body size: grand auditorium
Back and sides: forest grown master grade Indian rosewood
Top: engelmann spruce
Rosette: rosewood/thin strip of abalone/rosewood
Bridge: ebony, pinless
Fretboard: ebony
Headplate: rosewood
Fretwire: gold EVO
Tuning machine color: gold w/ black buttons
Inlays: small oleander hawk moth (shown below) in abalone at the twelfth

The rest is up to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop