The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-05-2017, 01:07 PM

Default Best Four Channel Acoustic Amp/Sound HELP

I am wondering what this forum suggests as the best portable four full channel combo amp. I would like four full channels, each with three band eq, notch, gain, 48v phantom power, presence (if possible) and effects loop. I don't need onboard effects but its ok if it has them. I would like 200 watt minimum. This will serve as my gigging amp for small to medium venues for vocal and guitar. I am a solo act so using only one mic channel but using two guitar channels and one for a percussion pedal. I am trying to simplify my set up, tear down time and effort by using one amp for all of it.
Should I go with a mixer plus powered speaker. If so, which speaker is going to best represent the full tone of acoustic guitars with dual source systems.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

Last edited by hotroad; 05-05-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:18 PM

I'd go for a small mixer and a powered speaker. The nice thing about going that route is expandability down the road: one main, one monitor with the ability to control them individually.

Yamaha MG10XU and a Yamaha DXR8, 10, or 12 would be a winning package.

Many others I'm sure will suggest a QSC K8 and perhaps another mixer. Each to his own.

The only amps I can think of that would have enough channels are keyboard amps and they are way heavier than the powered speakers mentioned.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 PM

DXR8 for guitars? With just one speaker, don't you think it's better a 10' or even a 12'?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:45 PM

Figure out what meets your needs as a solo performer, but has the additional power needed for the other configuration. Then purchase a small mixer to feed your amp when you need the additional channels.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
DXR8 for guitars? With just one speaker, don't you think it's better a 10' or even a 12'?
I'd go for a 12 myself. Especially with a drum pedal too. I get great results with my MSR400 (a biamped powered 12).

The OP mentioned portability, so that's why I put the 8 out there.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:04 PM

Anyone familiar with the Carvin AG300, four channel, two with notch.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-06-2017, 06:41 AM

Default Best Four Channel Acoustic Amp/Sound HELP

Here are my thoughts on stuff that appears to fit the bill:

Mixer plus speaker(s).
Mixer plus Line 6 L2t.
Carvin AG300
Shertler Jam 400

As far as mixers go, I wasted a lot of money on cheap ones. I finally ordered the QSC TouchMix 8 yesterday. I have not used it yet. But, it's know to be professional gear for working musicians. It's also a top notch recording interface. I also loved the quality of he XR12, but you'd need to be better with an iPad than I am.

As far as speakers go, Line6 L2t can't be beat. If you're playing solo, it has a top notch 2 channel professional mixer with effects built in. You can use the outboard mixer when you need more channels. I also like QSC K series or K.2 series speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-06-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 AM

After researching the Carvin AG300, I can say if didn't already have the gear I do, I'd certainly give it a try. My bass player had a Carvin bass amp which is great. The PA system at my church is all Carvin stuff and it's pretty good stuff.

If you're looking for simplicity, it looks like a winner. And the weight is way lighter than I'd thought it would be.

With powered speakers, you'd still get a little more reserve power, but if the amp is enough, it would be worth trying I think.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
After researching the Carvin AG300, I can say if didn't already have the gear I do, I'd certainly give it a try. My bass player had a Carvin bass amp which is great. The PA system at my church is all Carvin stuff and it's pretty good stuff.

If you're looking for simplicity, it looks like a winner. And the weight is way lighter than I'd thought it would be.

With powered speakers, you'd still get a little more reserve power, but if the amp is enough, it would be worth trying I think.

Yup, it's a great choice and a good price. It sounds a little sterile (a la PA system) so some of the acoustic amp enthusiasts aren't as happy with it. But PA system inclined people seem to like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-06-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Anyone familiar with the Carvin AG300, four channel, two with notch.
The AG300 is one of my favorite acoustic guitar amps. It is acoustically transparent. Those that like it to sound more like a conventional guitar amp can get that result with an LR Baggs Session DI. I live and work close to the Carvin factory in Poway, California and the Carvin Kiesel Guitar factory in Escondido, California. They carry replacement parts and components for their gear from decades ago. Their return policy and customer service are awesome. Ric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification