The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
Oh wow, this thread exploded overnight. Thanks for all th input, ideas and recommendations! Alright let's see...

alright I'll keep it together for now. Good advise to be found here. Looking forward to the new options opening up.

I actually looked up the tonedexter a couple days ago. If it's anything like the demos on youtube it's worth a try. I'll definitely consider that!

Regarding the ES2 - yes the preamp is pretty much on fire. I had more than one sound technician complain about the signal this pickup can push through (which is not a bad thing..the sound techs were just not used to it I guess).

And yes it has a very good sound! I feel like it polarized the community rather quick.. people either rip it out of their guitar right away or they love it.

Well I'm totally satisfied with the ES2, don't get me wrong. I just feel like I'm not "there yet" and on my way developing a new sound I also waged the "second pickup" option. I've actually looked at the tonedexter just two days ago! If it's anything like the demo I'd definitely give it a shot. How do you like it so far?

All in all I guess I like the idea of having a second pickup so I can fiddle around with it and meanwhile preserve the ES2 sound I already have and like. You probably all know the video of charlie worsham and his gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg8K6_EcQNg

That's where I got a lot of those ideas from. He has a similar approach of running a clean signal on his first pickup + a second pickup that he basically turns into a synthesizer with his gigantic pedalboard.

What do you guys think when you'd take effects into consideration? Is a second pickup useful to dial in the effects when wanted/needed or would you rather just put it all through one pickup?

If you're looking to do the Worsham thing, get a soundhole pickup and run it outside the guitar for testing. It's a pretty niche sound. I just would avoid modifying a Taylor 810. You'll kill the resale value and you'll get bored with it. :-).

I haven't bought the Tonedexter yet. But my AGF friends have bought them, and their experiences with IR convolution are impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification