The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2017, 01:54 PM

Default Small powered practice speaker??

I think I want a desktop-size small speaker with at least 2 aux imputs for my ipad (backing tracks) and also plug in my irig acoustic mic at the same time. Mainly a practice tool and I would like to stay under $100. Less is better. Any suggestions?

Thanks
RO-T16
Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM

I'm not sure you'll find anything with 2 aux inputs (assuming you're talking about 1/8" headphone Jack) but I'd suggest a Kustom or Powerwerks PA50. It's $99.99 retail and has 2 4" drivers and a tweeter in it. Also has two XLR or 1/4" unbalanced inputs and 1 aux input. It also can be Daisy chained to other units to add more inputs, and has a sub out.

This cable would do the trick for you. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WRK0SW6...a-307290791701

I've used it as a stand alone rig for small gigs and the sound is impressive for the price and size. I now have two and have played in a church that seats 400 using these with the 12" sub and had people complain it was too loud.

These go for $79 on sale and maybe $50-60 if you can find them used. I've had mine for over 4 years now with no problems.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:19 AM

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I'm just looking for something for home practice similar to powered computer speakers for a with a input (mini jack) for a tablet and another for the irig clip on mic (mini jack). I tried a splitter cable into my computer speaker aux input but guitar mic didn't work. I'll unplug from my computer and try direct from the tablet and the mic into the aux but I think it will be one or the other (not both).

Thanks again.
RO-T16
Old 05-02-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I'm just looking for something for home practice similar to powered computer speakers for a with a input (mini jack) for a tablet and another for the irig clip on mic (mini jack). I tried a splitter cable into my computer speaker aux input but guitar mic didn't work. I'll unplug from my computer and try direct from the tablet and the mic into the aux but I think it will be one or the other (not both).

Thanks again.

Look at the Studio Monitor section of the Seeetwater website. That's the style of speaker you're looking for. You may need a tiny 2 channel mixer to accommodate multiple inputs, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-02-2017, 06:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

These sound very good. http://a.co/4NJTvLl

There are a couple different sizes, with or without Bluetooth, with or without battery power.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
I think I want a desktop-size small speaker with at least 2 aux imputs for my ipad (backing tracks) and also plug in my irig acoustic mic at the same time.

Thanks
The AUX input for the iPad backing trackings might be pretty easy, but if the iRig mic is one I found through a Google search ( http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacoustic/ ) is what you have, that may be a challenge.
The iRig mic first off appears to use a TRRS plug for compatibility with "i" devices. Most 1/8" AUX inputs are TRS, so connections from the iRig plug may not work correctly. Secondly the iRig mic uses MEMS microphone technology and has electronics within it that require power which an "i" device would provide. The normal AUX input of an amp would not provide this power.
I'm not sure a workaround might be to connect the iRig mic to your iPad and use the headphone output on the iRig cable to send audio of the backing tracks along with the iRig mic audio. This would only need one AUX input on the 'desktop' amp/speaker and one cable to connect. Page 6 of the iRig manual from the link for the manual above shows a cable connection to the iRig headphone jack to an amp/speakers. I think this is what you want.
Not familiar with iPad stuff, so just taking a guess.

A bit more than you want to spend, but is small, has an AUX in and sounds good...... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Active_PA.html
I bought one used a few years ago for $115 from B&H Photo. They show up occasionally.

Last edited by MarkF_48; 05-02-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 PM

I own and use a dozen of these. They are stackable to increase channels and power, using microphone channels to interconnect them. Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I'm not sure you'll find anything with 2 aux inputs (assuming you're talking about 1/8" headphone Jack) but I'd suggest a Kustom or Powerwerks PA50. It's $99.99 retail and has 2 4" drivers and a tweeter in it. Also has two XLR or 1/4" unbalanced inputs and 1 aux input. It also can be Daisy chained to other units to add more inputs, and has a sub out.

This cable would do the trick for you. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WRK0SW6...a-307290791701

I've used it as a stand alone rig for small gigs and the sound is impressive for the price and size. I now have two and have played in a church that seats 400 using these with the 12" sub and had people complain it was too loud.

These go for $79 on sale and maybe $50-60 if you can find them used. I've had mine for over 4 years now with no problems.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R
I think I want a desktop-size small speaker with at least 2 aux imputs for my ipad (backing tracks) and also plug in my irig acoustic mic at the same time. Mainly a practice tool and I would like to stay under $100. Less is better. Any suggestions?
My first thought was of the Kustom PA50 as well. There are better units, but they tend to cost a lot more. Normally sell for $99.99, though I've seen them on sale for less.

cotten
Old 05-04-2017, 04:56 AM

Thanks to everyone that replied to my post. My current solution, for my purpose is a Behringer MX400 micro mix and three 1/4 by 1/8 5 ft. adapter cables into my computer speakers (aux input) and out the headphone jack.
RO-T16
Old 05-04-2017, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

I have a Roland AC-33 acoustic amp. It's not much bigger than what you're talking about and does everything you want and much more. Battery powered too if you want. I've used it as a test amp buying used gear off Craigslist, out on our balcony, around campfires, etc. Sound wise, I honestly give it a 10. For what it is, it absolutely blows me away every time I use it. You can crank it full volume and it stays clean too.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification