The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-25-2018, 06:13 PM
Guest 928

Default playing for change

I may be the last person on this forum to see this, but I had been looking for new music and a friend of mine sent me a video of "All Along the Watch Tower," produced by Playing for Change.

Marvelous! I went through all the side-bars, didn't see any carbon fiber but did see some incredible music.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Stand by Me and Ripple are also good playing for change videos

also try Tiny Desk Concerts at NPR
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 05-26-2018, 07:26 AM

I don't get it.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PlayingForChange
Old 05-26-2018, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
They take a classic song and have people from all over the world record their parts to the same sound (click) track and then splice together the performances into a single seamless song. An effort to bring together people through music and make connections between people of different cultures, thus showing that we're really all the same in an attempt to make the world a better place through music.

I'm just guessing. Seemed pretty obvious to me.

Oh, wait - yep! I was right. From farther down the video if you press the 'show more' button:

"Playing For Change (PFC) is a movement created to inspire and connect the world through music, born from the shared belief that music has the power to break down boundaries and overcome distances between people. The primary focus of PFC is to record and film musicians performing in their natural environments and combine their talents and cultural power in innovative videos called Songs Around The World. Creating these videos motivated PFC to form the Playing For Change Band—a tangible, traveling representation of its mission, featuring musicians met along their journey; and establish the Playing For Change Foundation—a separate 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to building music and art schools for children around the world. Through these efforts, Playing For Change aims to create hope and inspiration for the future of our planet."

Neat idea.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:00 AM

At the end of one of the songs there's an ending credit that said the Bill Gates Foundation funded the project. Now, I understand the real motivation.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:16 AM

Yes, Bill Gates is well known for supporting humanitarian causes. It would be nice if more people put their money where their mouth is.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:03 PM
Guest 928

I'm sure there are economic, social, and political variables attending PFC. I find those variables the least interesting of the project. The music is marvelous and I am awed at the equipment and production skills involved.

A friend tells me that there is a site that enables the same kind of global interaction. It would be interesting to see a carbon fiber band emerge from the web.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:06 PM

So after reading all this... the title is not about playing for change... make that pocket change.. son of a busker ... fooled again.. But change is good either way
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
So after reading all this... the title is not about playing for change... make that pocket change.. son of a busker ... fooled again.. But change is good either way
That was my first thought when I saw the title on this thread... Even is looking for a way to fund his next guitar.

I have seen this before, but didn't recall the name. It's an interesting premise; lots of post production to make this happen. Maybe I'm hardened after all these years in the "real world"... it would be nice if music could change the world.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

I believe that music does change the world. For example, there are people from around the world on this forum . We reflect many different perspectives on life and I suspect that many of us would disagree on many serious issues. And yet, we respect one another's bond to music. We are fairly gentle with one another. You might say, we are in concert.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

I believe that music does change the world. For example, there are people from around the world on this forum . We reflect many different perspectives on life and I suspect that many of us would disagree on many serious issues. And yet, we respect one another's bond to music. We are fairly gentle with one another. You might say, we are in concert.
Nice play Unc... you went all deep again.... but its ok...this time.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-26-2018, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Captain;

Lovely sentiment, Evan. Music is sometimes called the universal language, but I think it has been 40 or 50 years since music changed the world... well, at least the world I live in. The reality of it is there are a lot of good folks here, with a true love for music... but the world has changed in spite of the music. This is not a "woe is us" post, but an observation that the world isn't as civil as this forum. We can't "music" our way out of the world's troubles, but we can enjoy the comradery here. I like this place.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:14 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

We apparently live in the same world since it's been about 50 years since I've seen widespread change due to music. There are, however, small worlds of music-made changes within some minority worlds.

We do have a nice place here, one that is a quite a contrast to the outer world. Years ago the folks on the McNichol forum would occasionally pool their funds and give a CF guitar to a returned vet.

In a variation of that we might pool our resources and send musical instruments to the current batch of world leaders. With the gift would come the demand that they could make no further decisions until they learned "Hey Joe."
Old 05-27-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Captain;

We apparently live in the same world since it's been about 50 years since I've seen widespread change due to music. There are, however, small worlds of music-made changes within some minority worlds.

We do have a nice place here, one that is a quite a contrast to the outer world. Years ago the folks on the McNichol forum would occasionally pool their funds and give a CF guitar to a returned vet.

In a variation of that we might pool our resources and send musical instruments to the current batch of world leaders. With the gift would come the demand that they could make no further decisions until they learned "Hey Joe."
Funny, Evan. But, in today's world, that leader's security team would have taken those instruments outside and have the bomb disposal team blow them up. The world would be a better place if all the world leaders could get together and jam... I'm thinking Brown-Eyed Girl would be better for them rather than Hey, Joe... Everybody sing: sha la la la la la la la la la la ti da...

Old 05-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

I like it! Shalalalalalalalalalalala.....That would keep them busy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber