The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 01:35 PM

Default String Changing

I hope this is not a goofy question. I have 3 acoustics and I try to play them all but my Martin has been getting most of the time. My question is this. It's about time to change strings and it's been about 4 months. I use long life. So over that period my Marin probably got played about 80 percent of the time while the other two split the remaining time. Do guitar strings that have not been played as much also need to be changed or will they be ok for a bit longer? I guess common sense would say the strings that have not been played as much would be ok for a bit longer but they are exposed to air. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I change strings more frequently on the guitars I play more frequently.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 04-09-2024, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Play them and figure it out with your ears. No set schedule for me I don’t change until they sound dead.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Depends on your body chemistry and your humidity control in your house. I have some old strings that don’t get played much that are a year old and still sound fine, but I have dry hands and my humidity level in the room is well controlled.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Some people hardly ever change strings and that doesn't seem to hold them back, I on the other hand, like the sound of fresh strings.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:53 PM

When I could afford it, I changed strings every two to three months at most. Once you get over 10 guitars, and don't have the disposable income, you realize (at least I did) that strings can stay on longer. If they sound dead, give 'em another day or week. Your ears might like their sound next time. If they continually go out of tune, it's probably time for a fresh set. I change strings more regularly on guitars I play most often as another member posted above.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

In Junior school (5-11) we sang a lot, rondo (London Bridge is falling down etc) and other choir things like Bobby Shafto, but no music studies.

I went to secondary school at 11, and we had a music teacher. Loved his lessons, lovely bloke, but during the second term he was stabbed in the playground, and died. (it was a very rough school). he was not replaced (I wonder why!?0

That was the end of my music education, but he did leave a large cupboard full of instruments, and I "liberated" the drum kit.

I tried once to learn notation, but my teacher and I both got bored at the same time.

I didn't discover tablature until I started going to a bluegrass camp. By then I had developed a way of "seeing" music in my mind, and it didn't look like tab.

I stopped going when I discovered that most of the tutors just handed out tab sheets and left.

I mostly taught myself theory as I needed it.
Old 04-09-2024, 03:38 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Yes, guitar strings that haven't been played much can still need to be changed, although they might last longer than frequently played strings.

Here's why:

Oxidation and Corrosion: Even without playing, strings are susceptible to oxidation and corrosion from exposure to air, especially humidity. This can make them sound dull, lose their tuning stability, and feel rough on your fingers.

Loss of Brightness: New strings have a bright, crisp sound that fades over time. While less playing might slow this process, even unplayed strings will eventually lose some of their initial sparkle.

Here are some signs that unplayed strings might need a change:

Tuning instability: Strings that are old or corroded may not hold their tuning well.

Dull or lifeless sound: The strings may sound dull or lack their original brightness.

Rust or discoloration: Visible signs of rust or a change in color are good indicators that the strings are past their prime.

How long unplayed strings last depends on storage conditions:

Proper Storage: If the guitar is stored in a cool, dry place with a stable humidity level (around 50%), unplayed strings can last for months, potentially even a year.

Improper Storage: Fluctuating temperatures and high humidity can accelerate corrosion. In these conditions, even unplayed strings might need changing after a few months.

Ultimately, the best way to know if unplayed strings need a change is to inspect them visually and listen to how they sound. If they look dull, feel rough, or sound lifeless, it's probably time for a new set.

Here are some additional points to consider:

Coated Strings: Coated strings have a thin layer that protects them from corrosion and can last longer, even unplayed.

New Strings Feel Better: Even if unplayed strings are technically functional, putting on a new set can make your guitar feel and sound noticeably better, potentially inspiring you to play more.

So, while less playing extends the lifespan of strings, they're still not immune to wear and tear from the environment. Pay attention to the signs and change them when they lose their luster.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

First, the ONLY thing that should determine when you change the strings is whether you think they need changing. I have some guitars with 10 year old strings because I think they sound better on those instruments. I even know studio guys that are this way about some instruments.

As to whether they are deteriorating/corroding, some of that will be your body chemistry, if you wipe them off after playing, the material, etc. It's best to get used to listening and making decisions rather than going by any sort of time line. The more we listen and make judgements the better our ears become.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

I find that strings need changing much more if they’re played a lot versus sitting mostly idle. Playing time matters more than calendar time, about 4 times more.
Just my 2¢.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
In Junior school (5-11) we sang a lot, rondo (London Bridge is falling down etc) and other choir things like Bobby Shafto, but no music studies.

I went to secondary school at 11, and we had a music teacher. Loved his lessons, lovely bloke, but during the second term he was stabbed in the playground, and died. (it was a very rough school). he was not replaced (I wonder why!?0

That was the end of my music education, but he did leave a large cupboard full of instruments, and I "liberated" the drum kit.

I tried once to learn notation, but my teacher and I both got bored at the same time.

I didn't discover tablature until I started going to a bluegrass camp. By then I had developed a way of "seeing" music in my mind, and it didn't look like tab.

I stopped going when I discovered that most of the tutors just handed out tab sheets and left.

I mostly taught myself theory as I needed it.
That is the strangest string changing story I’ve ever heard.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
That is the strangest string changing story I’ve ever heard.
I think Andy had the right answer to the wrong question.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 04-10-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think Andy had the right answer to the wrong question.
Well said

OP: A string change can only be decided by you. Some guitars drop off in sound rather noticeably at a certain point, whereas others seem to steadily decline in tone and volume over time. Also, some guitars actually sound pretty good with dead strings, but it’s down to the player’s ear.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I used to change strings weekly on guitars I was gigging.

If I rotated one in, I'd change before a gig.

Today, I usually only change strings about a week before a gig.

My OM-28 and 000-28 both in their cases with fresh string for Saturdays gig.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:59 AM

4 months, heavy use,

yea, I'd change them

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion