The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-23-2021, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
https://www.kksound.com/products/puremini.php#simple3

Has anyone installed this on a guitar? If so, how easy or difficult is it to install?

Thanks!
Hi Benjo

I've watched videos, and read endless threads of how 'mostly' simple it is. However from the start I decided that I'd hire it done by someone who is more adept at working in the dark, through the soundhole, upside down on the underside of my most expensive guitar's bridge plate (as well as my cheapest).

I think your commitment to let a 'pro' install it is best.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-23-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
...how easy or difficult is it to install?
Not really enough info to give you a meaningful answer.

If you are a klutz who doesn't know what the pointy end of a screwdriver is for and has never connected a wire or operated a drill, then this will be catastrophically difficult.

If you are a brilliant & mechanically gifted handyman with a full workshop of tools you've mastered, then this will be trivially easy.

It's most likely somewhere in the middle. Only you can decide where you fall on that spectrum.

OK, OK.... here's my real answer:

In my opinion, none of it is difficult. It just requires that you be really careful in three areas.

1) when lining up the location. The jig and instructions are easy to understand and you should practice the feel a few times since you are reaching around "blindly" to do it partially by feel.

2) as stated, drilling the hole - use a proper hand reamer and go slow, slow, slow.

3) too much glue is better than not enough (within reason). The biggest flaw in an installation is wimping out on the glue and not getting intimate coupling of the crystal to the soundboard.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-25-2021, 10:19 AM

I've installed 3-4 K&K's. They aren't hard, just tricky. The instructions that come with it, with the golf tee's, etc are pretty good. Just have to take your time and be careful. And I prefer to separate the 3 leads and install them separately instead of them being tied together (then solder them together after the glue dries).

Full disclosure, I'm an engineer, woodworker and have build my own guitar and done numerous guitar repairs.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 06-27-2021, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
….I’ve installed a half dozen or so…..not really difficult but you can make a mess if you don’t proceed carefully….when in doubt it’s prudent to have it installed by a capable tech….
This ^^^^^ I don't have a need to learn on my expensive guitars. Rather than trying to save a few $ I've had my pickups installed by someone who has done it a lot. YMMV, IMHO, EIEIO
Old 06-27-2021, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

To me, one of the most important parts is the size of the guitar - if I can’t easily get my hand in there, I’ll hire someone who can -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification