The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-08-2008, 03:45 AM

Default Guess I'm crazy; but....

I had researched and gone through a few amps for my acoustic rig when I finally settled on the much acclaimed Ultrasound AG50DS4. Don't get me wrong; it sounded good and had everything on it that I needed. But all the while it was sitting next to my Deluxe Reverb RI, I would plug into the DRRI and be blown away at how rich, clear and warm the tones were. I would immediately go back to the Ultrasound and be totally unhappy in comparison. I did this for two weeks hoping I would love the US more; but I didn't. Yesterday I played my Godin Multiac and Taylor NS34ce through the DRRI in a side-by-side comparison once again and wound up shipping the Ultrasound back to MF for a refund.

Am I crazy or what?

vtg
Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 AM

No. I think musicians need to follow their ear. For us, it's all about the sound. Most people sitting in a concert hall, or church for that matter, don't know diddly about Taylors, Martins, acoustic amps, electric amps, FX....none of it. To them, a guitar sounds like a guitar. So our choices in gear really boil down to what sounds good to us thus inspiring us to play our best. Equipment is just that..it facilitates...it enables us to manifest emotions, feelings, and our heart through music. I know that sounds corny...but it's true. And while most people generally "hear" what we play, most people definitely "feel" what we play when played from within. So if a particular amp and/or guitar gives you the mojo, use it.

Interestingly, I have an inexpensive Yamaha acoustic/electric that I purchased used. It doesn't sound like much unplugged and it isn't much to look at. But it sounds incredible when amplified and I love how it plays and sounds. And I sometimes prefer it over my 814ce in certain circumstances. Three acoustic guitarists, including myself, played at our Church's Christmas Eve vigil last year. There was a Martin to the right of me and a Taylor to the left. I sat in between with my cheapo Yamaha and I have to tell you....it blended beautifully with the other two guitars....definitely held its own. I primarily use my 814ce in most church situations but the cheapo certainly has its place.

I said all that to say this.....if it moves you and thus inspires your play....use it.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 AM

You're not crazy, but you probably are accustomed to the tube coloration. tube amps and acoustic amps are two different animals and when you say that you are blown away at how warm the tones are... that hints that you like and are accustomed to tube warmth. The AD9 and the CE-2 (both analog) also suggest you like analog tone.

It's not a bad thing, but it is slightly uncommon for acoustics, where most players try to do everything so that pedals and amps have no coloration.
But as vbf said, follow your ears. If it sounds good to you, then go with it.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM

It's not crazy. First of all the Fender Deluxe Reverb is one of the all time great amps, ever, period.

Is it voiced for Acoustic guitar? Nope. Does it sound great with Acoustic guitar? Yep. Especially with mag-sound hole pickups.

Plus, the tubes provide tons of color and warmth that you have probably become accustomed to.

As the man said, you gotta go with the ear.

Jack
Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Yes! Brilliant!

VBF!

Your first paragraph is the best thing I've read in a LONG time!

EXTREMELY well stated, thank you very much!

This could be applied to so many discussions around her and on other sites.

Mike
Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 AM

If you are, then I am too. My Ultrasound AG50DS4 (before I sold it) was only OK. It worked. It certainly didn't move me. I've borrowed it back to play my new guitar on and I'm frustrated even more. I won't be buying one again.

What I have found is that I can't deal with acoustic guitar amps. They just don't sound that good to me at the price points I've been able to try out (up to $800). Especially the brands that get lots of play here (Fishman, Roland, Ultrasound, (I haven't tried Genz Benz)).

I'm now directing my search toward a powered mixer into a 12" satellite speaker, to which I'll add an 18" woofer when the funds are available. Something like:

Behringer PMP2000 powered mixer - $300
Behringer B1220 passive 12" speaker - $220
Behinger B1800X passive 18" subwoffer - $300

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification