The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Default how to make a guitar neck more slippery?

OK, this may be thee dumbest question ever asked here...but I need to ask it anyway. I have a Les Paul custom that has the least slippery neck of all the guitars I own. I need to slick it up some because it's affecting my playing. I've tried guitar polishes but they quickly rub off. I sure didn't want try and use Finger Ease or similar. Have any of you had a similar problem, and if so, how did you solve it?

Thank you in advance,
Chris
Old 10-03-2008, 08:04 AM

Contrary to intuition, a matte or satin finish on a neck will feel 'slipperier' [I am almost sure this is not an actual word ] than a gloss finished neck. Which is what I assume your LP is - gloss finish. You could take some 0000 steel wool to the back of the neck and achieve a satin finish, which will definitely make it less sticky. However, the big downside to this will be the look of the finish... if it's a wine or brown stain, or black (which probably covers 80% of the LPs out there), knocking the finish down to satin will negatively affect its looks IMO. If the finish is natural, you might get away with it and not suffer much in the looks department. Messing with the finish will likely affect your ability to sell the LP down the road, so that's a consideration too.

If you don't want to change the finish on the neck, about the only other way to go is to use a bit of talcum powder or baby powder on your hands... I've known some players whose hands sweat alot, and they use the stuff. My 2c: Don't mess with the finish, try some powder on your hands.

BTW it's not a dumb question... it's an ongoing concern of players and builders alike. Some mfr's. make satin necks to deal with the issue (Ernie Ball, etc.).
Old 10-03-2008, 09:40 AM

Beach Bob makes a good point; it depends on your neck's finish and how concerned you are with cosmetics. As for me, all my guitars are keepers/players, so I've taken steel wool to all of them, from time to time. I seem to recall using 000, rather than 0000, but would recommend starting with the finer 0000 stuff.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks to all. The guitar is a 68 Black Beauty reproduction so my preference is to not alter the instrument in any way. But I can definitely see how the 0000 steel wool would help the situation. I'll try the powder first.

Thank you again,
Chris
Old 10-03-2008, 11:44 AM

I use baby powder on my fingering hand and wouldn't start steel wooling my neck. I keep a small container of Johnson's baby powder in my case and have used it for the 31 years I've been playing with no negatives to report.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:59 AM

I use "Fast Fret" string cleaner on my strings. I also use a very little of it on a cloth to wipe the back of the neck from time to time - gets rid of accumulated DNA easily and leaves a slick feeling surface.
No adverse effects on any of my guitars over several years.
Keith
Old 10-04-2008, 08:17 AM

Both the necks on my guitars were satin. now they're gloss simply from playing. They play pretty fast.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 10-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Hey there, I gotta tell you I bought my 68 les Paul custom in 1968. When I played in bands in the 70's I just used baby oil on my left hand to make playing leads faster. I've still got my Beauty on the wall in my music room and it never damaged it at all. I still have it and it still plays great.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:13 PM

the issue is not the neck being gloss as much as the finish. Nitro Celular like used by gibson gets real sticky. seems as the finish is still curing even a year after you buy it!!!

Short of sanding it down to wood the best is the babt powder on hands etc.

The gloss neck on my Taylor 610CE I had was not sticky at all. My neck on my CA guitar is gloss and not sticky either but the 02 Gibson LP Standard I had ALWAYS got sticky. I HATE nitro finish Gibson uses on the neck.
Zakk Wikde has a sanded smooth oiled maple neck on his LPs !! I have played them and they are REAL smooth and fast.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:27 AM

The reason gloss necks feel sticky is the 'squeaky clean' effect - like you get with a plate straight out of the dishwasher. The 0000 steel wool treatment actually roughens the surface a little which, paradoxically, makes it feel smoother.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:43 AM

y'all have been a big help.......thank you!!!!!

God bless......Chris
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 AM

ooh so if my taylor neck glosses up over use just use more steel wool?

how much sandin with the wool is enough? i wud't want an ultra slim neck after i'm done!!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:18 PM

Here's what i do and it works great. I hate the new satin finish necks. Not because of speed (faster or slower) but i don't like hearing the "ssshhh. sshhh." when i move my hand up and down the neck while playing. every satin finish neck i've ever played has the "sshhh."
Anyway, here's what i do.
Mothers Professional Rubbing Compound / Finishing Polish / Synthetic Wax.
Yes, it's for your car, but a neck finished with these steps is like glass.
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/0...uoLVUikm0sb.97
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/0...I.97&slider1=5
Old 01-26-2018, 02:28 AM

Mods - maybe this needs moving to a more appropriate section? (Not really an acoustic amplification topic...!)
Old 01-26-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbf View Post
OK, this may be thee dumbest question ever asked here...but I need to ask it anyway. I have a Les Paul custom that has the least slippery neck of all the guitars I own. I need to slick it up some because it's affecting my playing. I've tried guitar polishes but they quickly rub off. I sure didn't want try and use Finger Ease or similar. Have any of you had a similar problem, and if so, how did you solve it?

Thank you in advance,
Chris

on ALL my Gibsons I use VIRTUOSO CLEANER (not polish) to get rid of the sticky neck phenomenon.

it works perfectly.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion