The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Bose L1 - SoloAmp Shootout, 10/8!

Howdy fellow forumites!

OK, as promised I have arranged a formal shootout between the Bose L1 model II and Fishman SoloAmp(s) for Wednesday 10/8/08 at 7PM at the North Dallas/Farmers Branch Guitar Center on 635 (north access road between Welch and Midway).

The store manager Jon will have an L1 w/sub and 2 SoloAmps and a sub and we will A/B: L1w/sub to SoloAmp; L1 w/sub to SoloAmp w/sub; and L1 w/sub to 2 SoloAmps w/sub (for a price comparison).

We will have a board set up for vocals, guitars and CD music and will be able to instantly pan between the two systems. I may also see if we can run another separate source just for noise/interferance to see how they both penetrate a noisy environment. Frank from Fishman has give me some subwoofer tips, even though he feels a sub is not necessary, but we will try one "just because".

If you live in the Metroplex please come, lots of opinions are a better validator, we will get to meet folks on the forum (I'll be the old fart) and I guarantee it will be fun, I know the GC gang will take care of us.

Let me know if you are coming so I can give Jon a head count, but it's on regardless of how many folks come.

This is exciting to me, we can also get to hear some members perform in the flesh..............try to make it! Peace.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

Last edited by rmyAddison; 09-23-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 AM

Default Even Better!

Oct 8 - cool - I'll be there!

By then I will have three gigs under my belt with my own SoloAmp - two solo and one band.

Your setup sounds serious, and excellent - way to go Rich and GC!

Looking forward - Mike
Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Howdy fellow forumites!

<<snip>>

The store manager Jon will have an L1 w/sub and 2 SoloAmps and a sub and we will A/B: L1w/sub to SoloAm; L1 w/sub to SoloAmp w/sub; and L1 w/sub to 2 SoloAmps w/sub (for a price comparison).

We will have a board set up for vocals, guitars and CD music and will be able to instantly pan between the two systems. I may also see if we can run another separate source just for noise/interferance to see how they both penetrate a noisy environment. Frank from Fishman has give me some subwoofer tips, even though he feels a sub is not necessary, but we will try one "just because".

<<snip>>

Peace.

I will be particularly interested in the " L1 w/sub to SoloAmp w/sub" comparison, and also in hearing about what kind of sub is hooked into the SA...and how it is added (cables, which outputs, etc.) , as well.

I'll be able to do the "L1w/sub to SoloAm" A-B right here in the convenience of my own home, this Friday...and out on the back-deck.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 09-23-2008, 10:38 AM

Larry,

Please post your findings, I am very curious and sure others are too. "Outside" is not something we will be able to cover so your findings are another piece of the puzzle so to speak. Keep us posted.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm travelling back from Denver that day but barring flight delays (~50-50 chance these days) I should be able to make it.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:32 PM

John,

Hope you make it...the more the merrier!

Maybe it will turn into a giant AGF jam, they'll record it, sell a zillion copies and we'll all get red Ferrari's.......................not!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default cant wait

From Kevin in the Rockies waiting ....... hummed to the melody of the song line "from Susan on the West coast waiting" and then of course there is Carley Simon's " Anticipation " OK I need a life ... later

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Default Double Subs

Hey Rich - one quick point...

If at all possible, please allow one comparison that includes the Bose side having TWO B1 bass modules. (I don't recall if that was one of your scenarios already...)

Notwithstanding, cost, or what everybody else says, or what EVER - for acoustic guitar and male vocal, that second sub makes a significant difference and improvement, please accept this advice from this Bose user, with a very low serial number!

Thanks much! Mike
Old 09-27-2008, 12:28 PM

I can't be there in person, but I sure will be interested in my friends' impressions. Sounds like a great excuse to get folks together!

cotten
Old 09-28-2008, 06:56 AM

I'm curious as to what the room dimensions are where the test will be conducted.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Guest 720

Would it be possible to video the testing and then post for all to see?

John
Old 09-28-2008, 06:12 PM

I disapprove of this shootout on the basis that you are comparing apples and oranges. These 2 units are not intended to work exactly the same.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
I disapprove of this shootout on the basis that you are comparing apples and oranges. These 2 units are not intended to work exactly the same.
Well I for one am trying to decide between the two, so I think this is a great idea!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I am looking forward to the shootout results. I received my SoloAmp yesterday, and held my own shootout (I purchased two Bose L1 single bass systems almost 3 years ago). Interesting, when I plugged and played my SoloAmp yesterday, I was in awe of the clarity AND the bass response. When I dragged an L1 out of the closet and plugged in, I was impressed with its transparency on the mids and highs, and how important the sub is in providing a full sound. The most pleasing sound I got during the mini-shootout was when I used both units simultaneously, sending the effects line signal from the SoloAmp into channel one of the L1. The mids and highs are a little stronger and more colored on the SoloAmp... but the sub and the accurate mids/highs on the Bose created a very pleasant experience. I cannot hook my proprietary Bose sub directly up to the SoloAmp (unless when of you can instruct me how to do it), but will be interested to know what you use as a sub in the shootout. I am using a Taylor 814 with ES pickup.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Interesting, good info Mkel - thanks for contributing.

I had thought that for a very big gig / venue, using both systems would sound good - thanks for confirming.

Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification