The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-02-2008, 10:28 AM

Default cheap pickup for Taylor Big Baby?

I'm going to be without my Turner for a month or so while a new neck is put on. I plan on playing electric @ church most of the time, but will need to do some acoustic. I've got a Big Baby that I use @ home, and figured i could use that.

Can anyone suggest a cheap and easy install pickup? Something that just fit in the soundhole would be ideal. i used to have one 15 years ago...but I'm sure the have improved since.

What would you guys recommend for a BB Taylor? Anyone have one they would loan me for a month or so?

Thanks!

Ibanez JS1
Ibanez jS10 Chrome Boy
Epiphone 335 Royale
Fernandes late 80's strat
1990 MIM Tele
Taylor Big Baby
Old 10-02-2008, 11:53 AM

1. How cheap is cheap?
2. What will you be running the signal into?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Soundhole pickups: LR Baggs M1 $130 senses top and strings, Fishman Sound Hole pickups $60 on up (sense strings)

Soundboard pickups, glued to underside of top: K&K $80

Jack
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 AM

I've always used a combination of the LR Baggs M1 and Fishman Rare earth single coil for my BB

The Baggs is good if I'm playing in standard tuning, but when I play in my normal tuning (DGCFAD) the Baggs has a weird distortion it gets, but whenever it's in standard the distortion is gone, go figure

The Fishman is better for dropped tunings, because it delivers a more balanced tone and doesn't have the annoying distortion. It also has more of a sparkle to it that compliments the dropped tunings better I feel

Just my two cents

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 10-02-2008, 12:13 PM

My Big Baby has the predecessor to the Fishman Matrix Infinity. The current, $140 (street price) version has a volume and tone controls which mine doesn't have. The controls are accessible through the sound hole

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MatrixInfN/

L.R. Baggs makes a similar product with a street price of $119 called the Element, Active. It has a volume control reachable through the sound hole. Unlike the L.R. Baggs M1, which is an induction pickup, but like the Fishman Matrix, it is an under-saddle, piezoelectric pickup.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MatrixInfN/
Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 PM

I should have defined cheap , I'm hoping for something under $100, preferably less. I know I'm not gonna get great sound (no where near the Turner), but I'm on a ministry salary and still have an un-sold house in Amarillo

I need something to get me by for about 4 weeks (approx. 14 services) and that's it. It will go straight to the board (via a DI)

Again, thanks for the info...anyone have any experience with anything cheaper?

Ibanez JS1
Ibanez jS10 Chrome Boy
Epiphone 335 Royale
1990 MIM Tele
Taylor Big Baby
Old 10-02-2008, 12:27 PM

If you have the time I'd check ebay for a used (passive) baggs m1 - you should be able to get close to your price range for a used one. Then when you're done with it you can sell it again and not lose much.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 PM

The street price of the K&K Pure Western Mini is $89.00. Someone is selling new ones on eBay for $86.10: http://cgi.ebay.com/K-K-Sound-Pure-W...QQcmdZViewItem

It is less expensive than the others I've mentioned because it is a passive system.

Incidentally, because of the nature of most acoustic guitar pickups systems, the amplified sound of your Big Baby could be made to sound as good as your more expensive guitar, depending on what system it has.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks guys! I'll take a look on eBay.

I'm not expecting this to sound anything as good as my Turner Renaissance Deuce. That is (IMHO) about the best amplified acoustic tone available. This just has to make a decent sound for a few weeks Now if it did match the sound, that would save me a couple grand! ...hmm.

Thanks!

Ibanez JS1
Ibanez jS10 Chrome Boy
Epiphone 335 Royale
1990 MIM Tele
Taylor Big Baby

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification