The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Default New Mac Pro @ 6k "Base Price" definitely aimed at "Pro"

Well it is finally here and may well be everything the pro's were asking for, except for the price. At a $5999 base and $4999 for the display plus another $1000 for just the stand . It's definitely not for the faint of heart. I guess for now I'll just be getting a new graphics card for my old Mid 2010 cheese grater

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-05-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 AM

I don't think the price for the computer itself is especially nutty for workstation class hardware. Of course much audio recording work doesn't need workstation class hardware. I was laughing in a "I'd be king of world" way when they did the Logic Pro demo with the two hundred orchestra tracks. I'd certainly be considering it for my sure to be a hot track of Mahler's Symphony #8.

The monitor part though made me laugh in an "Apple's audacity" way. They did present the screen as being superb tech, which is may well be. Never shopping in that range I can't say how that $5000 to $6000 pricing sits against the market. I'm not laughing yet.

Then the $1000 stand slide came up! Oh man. I know what that tech costs. And the kicker. No VESA mount, but they'll sell you an adapter so you can use a VESA mount, for, wait for it, $200. For little chunk of steel.

Oh man.

I've just purchased a new Mac mini, so as an artist I know I'm not professional at those levels....

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-05-2019, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Hi guys

The new Mac Pro is a video editor's dream machine. And the screen - who wouldn't want one?

An iMac Pro decked out at the $10,000 level will do anything an audio engineer, produce, editor needs.

The new Mac Pro at the base price will probably hit the ground running at about the same level of performance as the iMac Pro. To use one like they had up and running on stage, you are looking in excess of $30,000.

Still a great option for production houses, and businesses where time is important.

I have zero issues with the stand. I think they could have said the monitor is $7000, and if you want it without the stand, $6000 and without etched glass $5000. It would have come across better.

Production houses and editing houses have their mounts set up and just swap monitors as needed.

It tells me there is serious attention being given to serious workflow businesses. And I'm guessing with all the increased video production in the world of Netflix, Amazon, and Apple these days, these machines would fit right into the workflow of a movie production operation.

Loved the whole presentation of all Apple is developing.

Yup - I'm a fan-boy. Have had over 20 Macs since 1988 (an original Macintosh), and have never owned a PC. Our oldest son works on PCs and has never owned a Mac. Our youngest son is all-PC, and our middle boy has one of each.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-05-2019, 02:09 PM

My Zoom R24 is lookin' better and better...
Old 06-05-2019, 03:41 PM

IF you do large video and audio, as a business this will pay for itself pretty quick, just from the time saved in high end rendering.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Hi all

Obviously the new Mac Pro is not aimed at most of us in this type forum, but the upside is they will be building and upgrading their software with that computer in mind, so those of us who use either Logic or Final Cut Pro X etc will benefit from the improvements to the software.

I hope that goes for software by other companies (like Adobe) as well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi all

Obviously the new Mac Pro is not aimed at most of us in this type forum, but the upside is they will be building and upgrading their software with that computer in mind, so those of us who use either Logic or Final Cut Pro X etc will benefit from the improvements to the software.

I hope that goes for software by other companies (like Adobe) as well.

I am hoping to get 3-5 years out of my current Mac Pro then decide if I want to spend the mula for one or switch to Mac mini or iMac

I use Final Cut Pro and I am hoping to see a nice rendering time improvement when I switch to a new graphics card .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to see one someday, but I doubt they'll ever have one even set up in the retail Apple store. I have to imagine it's not especially quiet.

Still getting by (just) with my 2012 [i3] Mini (I did 16GB and SSD updates a while back), but it can get a little tedious with FCPX, and I wouldn't even think about 4k video.

I'll probably bite the bullet and go to the new Mini later this year or early next, and get about everything I can afford. I expect that will take care of me for as long as I need a computer. (Though, being proven wrong would not necessarily be a bad thing .)
Old 06-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

That's just the price for the low end base setup. How about $50,000.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...imate-ballpark

It is nice that Apple is beginning to take lessons about the add on modular PC approach at least.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

For most folks here with home studios to record their guitar, singing or small ensembles, even an entry level iMac or equivalent PC each have more than enough computing power, storage and OS functionality to do that.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I have to imagine it's not especially quiet.
I read somewhere that it's very quiet.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I'd like to see one someday, but I doubt they'll ever have one even set up in the retail Apple store. I have to imagine it's not especially quiet.

Still getting by (just) with my 2012 [i3] Mini (I did 16GB and SSD updates a while back), but it can get a little tedious with FCPX, and I wouldn't even think about 4k video.

I'll probably bite the bullet and go to the new Mini later this year or early next, and get about everything I can afford. I expect that will take care of me for as long as I need a computer. (Though, being proven wrong would not necessarily be a bad thing .)
Hi keith

Apple says except when doing heavy lifting it's about as noisy as the iMacPro.

I'm glad we have so many options. I'm not in need of processing 4K, but even my 2018 iMac - 5k - 27" - 3.8ghz i5 will render basic 4K reasonably in Final Cut Pro X.

I head up the media team at our church and the longest videos we normally edit are between 1:30-2 minutes in length, 1080p, and involve not more than 3 video cameras and 2-3 audio tracks and a handful of effects…pretty standard fare.

It renders those on the fly very quickly, so within a minute or two of completion, it's rendered and ready to export (at 1080p).

I'm guessing even a new mini with plenty of RAM and an external (or internal) SSD and external accelerator is going to share the load pretty well. And if that doesn't bring enough horsepower, the iMac Pro is still more powerful and allows additional acceleration etc.

If I had a wedding and family photography business, or was shooting and editing documentaries, it'd be different. But for my church media and family videos, my iMac does just great.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-06-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
That's just the price for the low end base setup. How about $50,000.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...imate-ballpark

It is nice that Apple is beginning to take lessons about the add on modular PC approach at least.
Hi r-s

Apple had that in the late 1990s and early 2000s. My studio was run with a Mac G3 tower which came in the baby blue tower config, and I could add drives, PC cards, accelerators, etc. Of course back in those days, external hard drives were SCSI powered, and a couple of my later ones even got up over 500MB in size. And third party developers gave us upgraded processors (much faster) with capability to adding more RAM and external PCI frames. There was a latch which dropped down one entire side of the tower exposing all the internal frames and drive sleds.

Then Apple went the iMac modular pre-configured machines route and kind of lost track of the Pro market for a while. Glad to see they jumped back in at a superior level with some future proofing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Last edited by ljguitar; 06-06-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi r-s

Apple had that in the late 1990s and early 2000s. My studio was run with a Mac G3 tower which came in the baby blue tower config, and I could add drives, PC cards, accelerators, etc. Of course back in those days, external hard drives were SCSI powered, and a couple of my later ones even got up over 500MB in size. And third party developers gave us upgraded processors (much faster) with capability to adding more RAM and external PCI frames. There was a latch which dropped down one entire side of the tower exposing all the internal frames and drive sleds.

Then Apple went the iMac modular pre-configured machines route and kind of lost track of the Pro market for a while. Glad to see they jumped back in at a superior level with some future proofing.
Over the last twenty years or so I have built several computers that I have used for recording music and for gaming. I have really liked the wide choice
of components available on PC systems to zero in on exactly what I want.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-06-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if they'll be offering some special financing for this ...something beyond the 48 months/no interest deals that show up for high end gear.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD