The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-13-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The OP doesn't think so. There's only so many ways you can say, "Nice bike." I think it's cool to hear about the cycling habits and passions from the rest of you. I especially enjoy hearing you'all share your first bikes - it brings back memories of the Schwinn Varsity I took to college followed by a Gitane Gran Sport, a Raleigh Grand Prix and so, so many other bikes since then. I'd say that this TREK DS4 is the best of lot, and it's amazing how much bicycles have improved and specialized over the past 50 years...
Hehe - my first bike was a Bg Wheel. Even my old Huffy steel frame rigid MTBs were better!

That is of course a joke. You guys are all so serious sometimes. Sure we all miss our youth, but it’s certainly better riding a Big Boy Bike!

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-14-2019 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Fixed video
Old 06-14-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I really like the 29" tires, but at the same time I am extremely jealous of the Deore 2x10 M6000 groupset on the DS4. Being 4 pounds lighter than mine with better gearing ratios the OP would certainly blow by me lol!
The good and sad reality is..... Your bicycle engine is the most important component for performance.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Congrats! Here's my new gravel bike, a Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross:

Happy trails, RP!
Willie as the rider of a Brooks saddle you are now officially the king of gravel riding! Well done.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
The good and sad reality is..... Your bicycle engine is the most important component for performance.
This is true. 4 years ago I rode 40 miles in 95 degree heat with no water. I nearly broke down! In fact, I did once I got home. I can't blame the bike for that!

Keeping cool and hydrated is no joke.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 AM

Enjoy the bike! Always time for strats later.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Hehe - my first bike was a Bg Wheel. Even my old Huffy steel frame rigid MTBs were better!

That is of course a joke. You guys are all so serious sometimes. Sure we all miss our youth, but it’s certainly better riding a Big Boy Bike!

What's funny there is my wife's bike is a Remedy and mine's a 29r similar to what's in the video. This pic is mine at Trek.

Most funny and maybe you had to be there: Moms riding nice bikes on trails like that is a thing these days. I was with some guys in their 20s working on a jump while my wife and another woman I her age were riding. The young guys were excited about the hot women they saw riding hot bikes. One of the young diggers knew who my wife was. Wow did we have a laugh when the other young guys realized those "hot" women were same age as their own moms.

Everyone needs to get riding and get their wives at it too.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:02 PM

Oops wrong forum. Always time ACOUSTICS later. Still have my titanium-frame road bike, plus a newer gravel bike. One bike for every 5 guitars is a good ratio.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Daughter (14) just picked up her new Trek mountain bike this week! I don't have a picture of mine, but I have a Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish, which is a full suspension 29er. It's a whole lot easier on my back than a hardtail!

20190611_150146.jpg
Old 06-15-2019, 11:50 AM

^ very nice! That particular one looks familiar!

Is your daughter in adult sized bikes already? If so, you have my empathy; my 12yo boy is still in 24" wheel size. I've been shopping around for a bike for him so that he can get off the devices while on summer break. Craig's List has been nonresponsive so I'm burning the Father's Day card on a trip to the LBS for an advisement. I want to him to try out a Precaliber 24 7-speed.

While I'm there I'm going to A/B the DS4 against the Marlin 7. I'll have my wife A/B one against her FX2 as well. Our anniversary is coming up!

There's also a Guitar Center in the area...
Old 06-15-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...While I'm there I'm going to A/B the DS4 against the Marlin 7..
This new DS4 is growing on me by leaps and bounds - I believe it’s the nicest bike I’ve ever owned, and that covers a whole lot of territory. A quick look at the Marlin makes me think it’s an apples and oranges comparison since one is a mountain bike and the other more hybridized....

Last edited by RP; 06-15-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
This new DS4 is growing on me by leaps and bounds - I believe it’s the nicest bike I’ve ever owned, and that covers a whole lot of territory. A quick look at the Marlin makes me think it’s an apples and oranges comparison since one is a mountain bike and the other more hybridized....
They do call the Marlin a daily rider or trail worth commuter and I'm pretty sure the DS have been considered the higher performance hybrids. I think the Marlin is 1 degree steeper but neither modern MTB slack.

Really, after parts level it's about wheel size, tire width, and how slack or low. A lot of bikes including with drop bars are that wheel diameter and same widths these days.

The important thing: Did everyone ride today?

For me it was only 1.5 hours, but chasing one of my boys who is a really strong on a bike.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the frame is more robust and the fork has more travel but other than that the Marlin is a glorified hybrid. The Alvio 3x9 groupset is just not trailworthy. I've tried it. It's best for maintaining a consistent capo on even terrain, which is a disservice to a trail bike IMO. I can see me getting rid of the Alivio components for at least a Deore groupset. I feel like it could be a good platform for bikepacking down the Great Allegheny Passage with some upgrades. For now I feel like it's ideal for riding the converted rail lines in my area where I can ride for distance. I'm sure the DS4 is better, but I like the option of riding on intermediate singletrack in the area too and it did really well in the slush over the winter - which surprisingly I found more enjoyable than riding in the summer heat.

PS: I use Map My Ride to track my progress. I rode 30 miles today in 2-1/2 hours. This was a long ride but I did a 50 mile ride on it back in April. As I said, top speed was 15.5 mph and my average was 11.2 mph. I'm sure I didn't break any speed records but a good bike inspires you to ride and so far the Marlin 7 inspired me to start riding in mid February which is 3 months earlier than I would have in the past. I could be riding more frequently but I already have over 200 miles on this bike and this is proving to be my best and most varied riding season yet.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:49 AM

Always fun to find out how many riders are here. This is me (in back) and my friend on top of Gooseberry Mesa in St George, UT this spring, and my current bike: a Norco Sight.

Nice new bike you got there, OP. Looks like a joy to ride!

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-29-2023, 08:46 AM

Tommaso Siena is an outstanding gravel bike for half the price of a Canyon entry-level Grail Trek or Cannondale (and there would be a six month back order) The Shimano Touray group set with a tripple cage is as good, but perhaps heavier than a 105 or even an Ultegra. It's not even all that heavy. If I didn't have so many bikes, I might have upgraded to a carbon fork.
These gravel bikes also seems pretty good here, you may check.

Last edited by Conjrobert; 01-30-2023 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I really enjoy these bike threads. I was an avid road rider some years ago. Twenty five mile daily rides and a century (100 miles) any Saturday I wasn’t up in the Sierras hiking or skiing. I lived in the SF Bay Area then so our century rides took us from Menlo Park to Santa Cruz via the Skyline down and Coast Hwy 1 back to Half Moon Bay and over the hill back into Menlo Park.

In those days (1970’s) I rode a Bottechia Gran Tourismo which sported a hand made double-butted Columbus tubing frame, a combination of Cinelli and Campy components and a Bernard Hinault saddle. I used cotton sew-ups for daily rides and Criterion Seta (silk) sew-ups for longer tours. The previous owner had spray painted it purple so I stripped it and had it painted with gloss black powder coating. I contacted the factory in Italy and they sent me a full decal set. Yes, I was addicted to riding and that bike was my pride and joy.

My first good bike, and the start of my addiction, was a Bianchi 12 speed Record I bought at 12 years old in 1963. I bought it new at Rocky Cyclery in Palo Alto, CA. Mr. Rocky’s store was a block or two from Gryphon Guitars. I’d been saving and since the Rockys were friends of my parents Mr. Rocky matched my savings allowing me to buy a much nicer bike than I had planned on. That bike set me free!! On weekends I’d ride over the coast range to the beach and back. My parents had no idea how far from home I ranged on that bike.

Thanks for the memories OP and I hope you get years of joy from your new ride!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic