The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #211  
Old 03-31-2016, 06:24 AM
invguy921's Avatar
invguy921 invguy921 is offline
Lovin' nice guitars...
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S. Central Missouri
Posts: 2,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Mau:
Love it - the piece, the playing. The gentle reverb really works. Especially enjoyed the feather touch on the strings and the sound you bring out. I just got my first Olson SJ, and you're inspiring me to try a similar adventure.
Thanks for sharing with us!
Ditto, GORGEOUS playing as always and a sweet guitar! Congratulations! Surely you feel some 'embarrassment of riches with a "Blonde, Brunette, AND a Redhead" Unlike you and my friend Andy, "I ain't got an Olson, nor the funds to buy one" lol. So...I really won't get the pleasure anytime soon to try an Olson adventure. But, an ISLAND adventure sounds really good and seems more plausible. Your touch on the strings makes me think that maybe a bit of "island vibe" is just what I need to add a little butter to my own playing . Might come your way some day and see if I'm right
__________________
"A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold."

Woody (aka: Mike)
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 03-31-2016, 06:49 AM
ukejon ukejon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 6,486
Default

Nice to hear you playing again.....and the delay is a cool touch.
__________________
My YouTube Page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ukejon

2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2

....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 03-31-2016, 08:12 AM
JoeCharter JoeCharter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Mau:
Love it - the piece, the playing. The gentle reverb really works. Especially enjoyed the feather touch on the strings and the sound you bring out. I just got my first Olson SJ, and you're inspiring me to try a similar adventure.
Thanks for sharing with us!
Thank you, Andy.

I played the accompaniment really softly in order to keep some dynamic range for the melody.

Please do tell us more about your latest acquisition. Congratulations and I hope you're as thrilled with your SJ as I am with mine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Ditto, GORGEOUS playing as always and a sweet guitar! Congratulations! Surely you feel some 'embarrassment of riches with a "Blonde, Brunette, AND a Redhead" Unlike you and my friend Andy, "I ain't got an Olson, nor the funds to buy one" lol. So...I really won't get the pleasure anytime soon to try an Olson adventure. But, an ISLAND adventure sounds really good and seems more plausible. Your touch on the strings makes me think that maybe a bit of "island vibe" is just what I need to add a little butter to my own playing . Might come your way some day and see if I'm right
Thanks for posting, Mike.

I do feel like my guitar collection is a bit excessive -- but I feel zero buyer's remorse about my three SJs. In addition to being impeccable musical instruments, they are beautiful and collectible...

I used to feel the same way about Olsons being too expensive for my taste. So I got a more reasonable H&D, and then another one, and then a Bourgeois and a SCGC -- only to sell them all at a significant loss when I figured I'd rather have one guitar I really love then a bunch of good ones just sitting in their cases.

I would love to own a fourth SJ but time (and the Canadian dollar) is playing against me... Sigh...


Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Nice to hear you playing again.....and the delay is a cool touch.
Thanks, Jon. I never totally stopped playing -- but my wrist still hurts believe it or not...
__________________
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

* My YouTube Channel * My Facebook Page *
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 03-31-2016, 08:33 AM
bdm0509's Avatar
bdm0509 bdm0509 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rockwall, Texas
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I used to feel the same way about Olsons being too expensive for my taste. So I got a more reasonable H&D, and then another one, and then a Bourgeois and a SCGC -- only to sell them all at a significant loss when I figured I'd rather have one guitar I really love then a bunch of good ones just sitting in their cases.
This ^^^

Very nicely stated, Mau.
__________________
Brett McLaughlin

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
JORDAN MCCONNELL 2020 16" SJ - Rosewood/Spruce (Commissioned)

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 04-15-2016, 01:27 PM
JoeCharter JoeCharter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,553
Default



__________________
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

* My YouTube Channel * My Facebook Page *
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 04-15-2016, 01:35 PM
TomB'sox's Avatar
TomB'sox TomB'sox is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Upstate Ny via Minnesota, soon heading to Texas
Posts: 6,423
Default

Nice composition, my only concern is I hope there are no cats in the house, that wall looks pretty narrow!!!!
__________________
PS. I love guitars!
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 04-15-2016, 03:06 PM
JoeCharter JoeCharter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Nice composition, my only concern is I hope there are no cats in the house, that wall looks pretty narrow!!!!
No worries, Tom. Only adult homo moderni are allowed to roam freely in my loft. I've welcome the occasional dog and a few kids over the years (always under very tight surveillance) but none have managed to climb up the half wall that surrounds my bedroom. And definitely no cats...
__________________
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

* My YouTube Channel * My Facebook Page *
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 04-16-2016, 04:38 AM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 3,977
Default

Even in black and white she is a gorgeous blonde! Nice pics.
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 AM
JoeCharter JoeCharter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Even in black and white she is a gorgeous blonde! Nice pics.
Thanks, Dennis.

It's not easy to avoid being redundant when you're always photographing the same subjects... Here are two shots of the three amigos:



__________________
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

* My YouTube Channel * My Facebook Page *
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Marcus Wong's Avatar
Marcus Wong Marcus Wong is offline
The Golden Era Guitar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,612
Default

Dude........................
__________________
.
THE GOLDEN ERA GUITAR
FOR SALE | VIDEOS

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber |Halland | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
TheGoldenEraGuitar@gmail.com
+65 8666 0420
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 AM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 3,977
Default

Nice! So much color in one Mau photo, I almost dropped my teeth. Yikes!

Beautiful trio. Enviable.
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 04-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Justin Kim's Avatar
Justin Kim Justin Kim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seoul. Korea (used to be Boston, M.A.)
Posts: 112
Default

Wow... what a nice collection here.. the maple model reminds me of mine, ordered and built at 2013.



__________________
Olson SJ, #1 inlay
Leonardo Buendia OM Celtic
Petros Nouveau #4
Goodall CJ BRW

--------------------
Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul. ㅡPlato, The Republic
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 04-19-2016, 11:02 AM
JoeCharter JoeCharter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Dude........................
I wish I could have three more... Maybe in another lifetime...


Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Nice! So much color in one Mau photo, I almost dropped my teeth. Yikes!

Beautiful trio. Enviable.
I can't drop my teeth yet but maybe one day I can be like you...

Although I haven't posted many recordings, the maple SJ has actually seen plenty of mileage in the last few months. It's the guitar that reconciled me with standard tuning...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Wow... what a nice collection here.. the maple model reminds me of mine, ordered and built at 2013.
Well, we have the same fingerboard inlays...

Back in 2013, I commissioned a BRW/cedar SJ from Jim which also has the #1 inlays.
__________________
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

* My YouTube Channel * My Facebook Page *
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 04-20-2016, 08:09 AM
JoeCharter JoeCharter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,553
Default

__________________
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

* My YouTube Channel * My Facebook Page *
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 04-20-2016, 04:07 PM
cigarfan's Avatar
cigarfan cigarfan is offline
Music soothes the soul!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Within the blast radius of Washington D.C.
Posts: 3,977
Default

Oh my! Look at those curves. There go my teeth again!
__________________
Life is like a box of chocolates ....
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=