The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Happy be the day

I know this isn't my usual guitar picture but, I have to say this is a happy day at the Hatcher workshop! I got an on-furnace humidifier installed in the basement that is tapped into the water so I no long have to lug water jugs back and forth from the sink all day and night to feed the noisy free standing unit I had in the middle of my shop floor.

In New Hampshire, where a winter day typically starts out below zero, keeping constant humidity in a luthier shop is a priority. My previous floor unit did the job but required constant attention. It was also so noisy that I ended up turning the music way up which can really beat you up after awhile.

I know it doesn't have great figure or a lot of bling but to me it's a beautiful sight!

Back to guitars

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 02-04-2015, 07:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

That is sweet Mark. We have never had to add humidity to our shop in East Texas. Even when it gets to freezing outside, our shop will hold a 40% humidity. Very rarely we might dip to 35%. I've thought we've been blessed by this arrangement, and your story of hauling buckets of water confirms it. Congratulations, shop improvements are wonderful. Have a warm and humidified winter!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-04-2015, 07:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations on the humidifier, Mark. I know how much that peace of mind is worth!
My sister, Robin, is almost a neighbor of yours- she's a college professor at UNH, living over in Lee, NH. She regularly treats us dixieland hicks with stories of the rigorous, atrociously cold and dry winter conditions up there. What fun!

Down here in 'Bama, when it gets dry in the wintertime, I run two humidifiers in my shop, and that usually keeps it up around 35-40%. But sometimes, it drops down into the teens here too. My Dad, whose workshop this used to be, left this hideous indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor of the shop. I hate that carpet, it's such a pain in the butt to keep clean... But on those cold, dry winter days, it becomes a blessing, because I can pour two or three gallons of water on the floor, soak the carpet, and the humidity stays optimum. Silver linings, eh?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Fellas,

I don't mean to complain about the winter here, I actually really love it, at least when I'm properly set up for it. It's so clear and quiet. I don't have a lot of experience with below zero cold but, when you're dressed for it, it's enchanting. I find it inspirational in my work. It gives new meaning to crystalline sound if that makes any sense. Here are a couple pictures I took last night outside my shop with my camera hand-held in the moonlight:

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 02-06-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:29 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Been thinking about an Aprilaire whole house unit for my place. The humidity in my living room was 21% this morning. The skin at the ends of my fingers is cracking. Makes it tough to play guitar. Maybe I should go and live in my humidified guitar room.

Congrats on your acquisition. Has to ease the mind some.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

That's great Mark...Like your prior system, between late October and late April, I am visiting my sink every 2-4 days to replennish, one of my two 2-3/4 gallon reservoirs for my floor unit and replacing wicks monthly. I have hot water base board (no forced air). I am guessing that you're house's water source is well based correct? How does the Aprilaire system address mineral build-up and deposits?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks cigarfan,

I know your pain when fingers start cracking. I'm considering getting a unit for the house as well. We have forced air there as well but mostly use our wood stoves, and they are dry! The Aprilaire systems have a capacity of 14 gallons a day. However, they won't do that if they only work when the heat is running. In my shop we installed a separate unit that overrides the air blower fan to keep the humidifier working if needed. I'll have to wait and see what that does to the electric bill. But the shop was at 46% this morning and silence reigned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
That's great Mark...Like your prior system, between late October and late April, I am visiting my sink every 2-4 days to replennish, one of my two 2-3/4 gallon reservoirs for my floor unit and replacing wicks monthly. I have hot water base board (no forced air). I am guessing that you're house's water source is well based correct? How does the Aprilaire system address mineral build-up and deposits?
If you can go 4 to 8 days in between total refills that's not too bad. I was filling 3 reservoirs a day making it hard to even go away for the weekend.
Fortunately, we live on one of the roads to the hospital so we have town water and our road gets plowed pretty much every 1/2 hour when it's snowing.
The Aprilaire system is an evaporative system that typically needs to have the filter changes twice per season. With well water that number would rise.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Back to Guitars

Here is a picture of the side set on the other guitar. It also is the first look at the Bloodwood bound sound port:

Here is the Spanish Cedar kerfing going on:

More to come!
Mark

Old 02-06-2015, 12:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Progress Shots

Here is the kerfing going on the cutaway:

And the back going on the full bodied Josie:

Thanks for viewing!
Mark

Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Back is on

Here is the full bodied BRW with the back on. You can see that the back set was just wide enough for the 16 inch wide lower bout back. The binding and purfling will take away that rough edge:

And this is the Adirondack Spruce top getting glued on:

Thanks!
Mark

Old 02-08-2015, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

That is an amazing back and side set of BRW. Really love the blood wood accents on this so far--looking great, Mark!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-08-2015, 08:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
That is an amazing back and side set of BRW. Really love the blood wood accents on this so far--looking great, Mark!
Thanks Nemoman,

There is more Bloodwood coming. I really like this look so far too!

Mark

Old 02-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

That guitar's looking amazing Mark!
Old 02-08-2015, 10:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Body Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
That guitar's looking amazing Mark!
Thank-you David,

Here is the top glued on and trimmed:

Cheers,
Mark

Old 02-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here is the full bodied BRW with the back on.

Wow...that is a stunningly beautiful set of wood. Nature's artistry has no equal in my book. You really captured its beauty in this guitar's layout.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop