The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 AM

Default "Hero" by Family of the Year great example of recycling old music

First off I wanted to say how impressed I am at how much everyone knows on this forum. So that being said I am no Berkley grad and my idea here may not be very musically sound. Not much on the radio impresses me, but this song by family of the year stood out. I guess because it was so anti ego really, something that is not main stream these days. When I printed out the tab and played "Hero" I was amazed I could actually play it. But then I started seeing stuff like Pachelbel "Canon" and a bunch of other chord progressions.
What I realized is just by fingerpicking and timing they made something original out of existing chord progressions. I had posted something some time ago about creating new songs and how it was difficult to come up with an original chord progression. Then people were like your not going to come up with a new chord progression. Most likely you will use an existing progression but in a unique way to create your own song. I think "Hero" is a great example of that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write