The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 AM

Talking Keystone MD guitar & say Hi!

My name is Louis I haven’t been around for very long. I think I’m probably one of the more juvenile ones? I only started playing guitar in high school and now I’m doing Mecheng at UCL in London.

I want to talk a bit about keystone guitars and my story regarding how I got in the racket

Keystone guitars are made by my friend Nishi Keisuke from Japan. He used to apprentice with one of Somogyi-esq’s early apprentices Mr. Mario Beauregard.

Unlike most of the Somogyi school guitars I’ve played (Kostal, Buendia, Ogino), Keystone guitars have stronger fundamentals, a sorta drier sound comparing to them. I’d say it’s more like Martins than Somogyis. Nishi told me that vintage prewar Martin sound was what he’s shooting for. I haven’t played any prewar Martins so I don’t know. But comparing to modern Martins, keystones are way more responsive and with more note separation.

My adventure with my Keystone guitar began in early 2017. At the time I was playing a Lakewood guitar and I wasn’t aware of the handmade guitar world. One day, an opportunity presented itself—a reasonably low priced second handed Keystone MDC German+Madrose was for sale. I went back and forth for a couple weeks and eventually I decided to get it!

After that, I discovered a whole lot more ‘notes’ than before. When I say notes, it’s not like I created another temperament or anything like that haha. It’s like I’ve grown a more expressive ‘voice’ which I can play out the voice in my mind.

I’ll stop here for this message haha.
To be continued ~

Ps: here are some LIVE playings on my YouTube channel.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSr2jpz1IOMpRyNc29h0ZtA
I’ll figure out how to post pics!

Last edited by LouisLiu; 01-10-2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Autocorrect was bad
Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum, Louis!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your Keystone--haven't played one but have heard they are wonderful. They certainly look beautiful from the pics I have seen!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 PM

Louie, Nishi is 'da MAN! Always enjoy visiting with him when he comes around for the Woodstock guitar show! Agree his guitars sound amazing...
Old 01-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Default not sure if this works at all

me and five guitars
http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/lo...tml?sort=3&o=0
me, keystone and mr. kaba
http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/lo...tml?sort=3&o=1
nishi's take on the body shape
http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/lo...tml?sort=3&o=5
the headstock
http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/lo...tml?sort=3&o=4
Old 01-11-2018, 04:14 PM

Oh! Cheers haha!
Old 01-13-2018, 10:00 AM

Congratulations Louis!! A Keystone is one of the best guitars I have had the pleasure to play. You are a very good player and well deserving of such a fine guitar. Hope that you and your Keystone continue to grow together musically

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 AM

Haha thx man! Keystone guitars are very exceptional indeed! I’ll keep practicing haha!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
cutaway, keystone guitar, mod d, somogyi school