The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-23-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Vox Scooping - How do I fix it?

hello all - I noticed when I was listening to the songs I have on my myspace page that I scoop REALLY bad with my vocals. You can hear it in the song I'm working on now - the first on the list: myspace.com/kyleslade

So, what's the best way to reteach myself how to sing without scooping? Thanks!

I could also use some breathing excersises or any other vocal advice you think i need
Old 09-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleT123
...So, what's the best way to reteach myself how to sing without scooping? Thanks!
Hi Kyle...
Find a small and reflective place to practice (like a tiled bathroom) and sing the songs you discern a problem with acapella till you retrain your voice/brain to sing them the way you desire without thinking about it.

Sing easy, and use plenty of diaphragm support (sing from the gut not the throat). More pitch problems are alleviated by easing up than bearing down. Medium loud is good, because you can sing softer and louder, and your voice will last longer. Don't force it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-23-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleT123
hello all - I noticed when I was listening to the songs I have on my myspace page that I scoop REALLY bad with my vocals. You can hear it in the song I'm working on now - the first on the list: myspace.com/kyleslade

So, what's the best way to reteach myself how to sing without scooping? Thanks!

I could also use some breathing excersises or any other vocal advice you think i need
I don't know what "Scooping" is, but do you listen through headphones while recording (to where you can hear yourself as you are recording)?
Old 09-23-2005, 10:20 PM

Kyle,

Hey man I had a real problem with scooping too. My voice guy recommended singing along to scales to start off with. I think it's just a pitch issue, not so much a technique issue -- scooping isn't a real problem unless stylistically you don't like it or you're scooping off pitch. Make sure your guitar is in tune, find the key of the song you're playing, and sing the scale along with that (the major scale and then the relative minor). Do that for about half an hour a day for a whole bunch of scales and you'll see a big improvement. Something I work on with melody lines that are hard for me to sing is to play the line on myguitar and sing along with it, correcting my pitch when necessary. My last tip would be if you're singing flat, try to push more breath through when you're singing, and if you're sharp try using a little less breath. A good voice coach (or really anyone who graduated maybe with a music performance degree, or wants to be an elementarymusic teacher) will help you out tremendously. In just a few weeks I started seeing noticeable improvement and after two months I would say my voice was 60% better, a big big difference. good luck kyle! you can PM me if you want any of this explained better

jonah

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell