The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2020, 09:00 AM

Default NGD: Yamaha LS16

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Yesterday, during my routine check of the classifieds, I stumbled upon a used Yamaha LS16. Located about a half an hour drive from where I live. And I already have a LL and LJ, sooo... Long story short - here she is:

2012 Yamaha LS16 - i.e. pre-A.R.E.
Very nice Engelman spruce top with tight grain, rosewood B&S. The main differences I see compared to 2014+ ARE revamped models are:
- no special top treatment: I do not miss this on an eight year old guitar that has been well played (but mainly cowboy chords, the frets are intact starting at fourth position :-)
- scalloped bracing: frankly I do not hear any difference, but could be significant for larger bodies (I was definitely feeling a difference comparing older LJ16 with LJ36, but the bling-factor also works here)
- plastic body binding: I like it more that maple - plastic combination on ARE models, it is more consistent; so either maple + maple or plastic + plastic for me
- black pickguard
- 3 piece neck with just one stripe (actually 5 piece - heel and head): slightly slimmer profile comparable with MIJ LJ36, no beveled edges
- no SRT pickup
- polyfoam case with zipper instead of gigbag: sturdier with slighly better thermal insulation

Compared to my LL-TA (to that one particular piece) the top is nicer, without any mutations od irregularities, with a tighter grain. The top tint is more on blonde side, less yellow. Rosewood color is lighter, more chocolate than dark brown-red. The same for a headplate, I can see the structure of the wood. Striped ebony on fretboard is also more prononouced.

Soundwise it is a guitar on its own. I have d’Addario EXP 16 on all my Yamahas, but the LS16 does not sound like a LL minus bass boom or LJ plus something.

It is a deeep body spruce - rosewood OM. Balanced with surprisingly (at least for me ) tight bass response and tamed highs - no ice picks, sweet tones. Mids are present and focused. Compared to the rest of the gang it has:
- more bass than Martin 000-16, but comparable mids
- less shimmer and harmonics that Furch OM-LX, comparable bass
- less everythyhing that Yamaha LJ36 :-) (volume, dynamic range, ...)
- more balance string to string and sweeter highs than LL-TA

It sounds closest to my Furch G25. Which is not such a surprise given it is a sitka rosewood grand audiorium.

As of now it has a bone nut and saddle, reamed bridge pin holes, polished fret ends, I have also changed tuners for Gotoh 301 18:1 and installed a new strap pin on the neck heel. I will (most probably) change bridge pins and strap pin for ebony (but I have spent five hours by cleaning, setup and modifications already )

Waiting for the rain to stop to take a family photo, so in the meantime the siblings alone

Some more details regarding those two are in my last NGD thread: NGD: Yamaha LJ36

Last edited by vld; 09-28-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! That is a beautiful Yamaha.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-28-2020, 09:31 AM

Looks nice, thanks for the summary of the differences in the guitar model over the years.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:53 AM

Beautiful guitars and great pictures!
Old 09-28-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vld View Post
Yesterday, during my routine check of the classifieds, I stumbled upon a used Yamaha LS16. Located about a half an hour drive from where I live...
Let me get this right. During a "routine check" of the AGF Classifieds, you "stumbled" upon a Yamaha acoustic to purchase from someone 1/2 hour away in the Czech Republic. Yes??? Many congrats....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-28-2020, 12:12 PM

looks nice! enjoy it!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-28-2020, 12:45 PM

Wonderful guitar, Vid, that's a find. I prefer the older pre-ARE Yamaha 16s. My LJ16 is from 2009, mine since 2012 and very well played in, starting to sound rather vintage. I prefer the necks on the older models too, I may be wrong but the ARE ones seems to have flatter fingerboards? The polyfoams case are very good too, not a big fan of the 'hard bags'

You have good taste in guitars, I'm a Furch and Yamaha guy too. Look forward to seeing a pic.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:46 PM

Congrats, and Happy NGD to you!

Nice trio! I do like Yamahas L series.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Let me get this right. During a "routine check" of the AGF Classifieds, you "stumbled" upon a Yamaha acoustic to purchase from someone 1/2 hour away in the Czech Republic. Yes??? Many congrats....
Sorry for congusing you. I am not so fluent in English, so sometimes I may use word in a wrong context. And my approach to grammar is sort of ballistic. Not AGF classifieds, local czech classified ads list. I do not think there was an entry from the Czech Republic in last one or two years. If ever.

The word “stumbled” seemed correct to me as there are currently two Yamaha acoustic guitars listed so no reason to filter specifically filter the brand. The ad was two hours old, listed on top. The fact the guys lives 20 miles away was just a cherry on top. On the other hand - here in central Bohemia driving for more than two hours in any direction means I am crossing the state border )

Last edited by vld; 09-28-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCharlesD View Post
Wonderful guitar, Vid, that's a find. I prefer the older pre-ARE Yamaha 16s. ..... I prefer the necks on the older models too, I may be wrong but the ARE ones seems to have flatter fingerboards?
Look forward to seeing a pic.
Thank you very much.

I have used most scientific method currently available to me - pieces of wire formed to copy the contours of the fingerboard :-) Based on this charlatan approach I cannot say there is a difference in the fingerboard radius.

I will try to get from the office before the sunset tomorrow to take some photos.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:45 PM

BirchTop, aeisen93, anjoga, yairimann, Goat Mick: thank you very much, guys.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:17 PM

I don't know what it is, but I really like the looks of the "LL", "LS", and "LJ" Yamahas. Would love to try one out one of these days.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:30 PM

Congratulations! Yamaha makes some beautiful guitars. Sometimes I find them a bit too "modern" sounding, but I still enjoy their workmanship and quality. I'm sure this one sounds great; it looks great!

I really like my Yamaha FS5. I keep it beside me while I work! It's nice to be able to pick it up while I'm thinking about things.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 09-30-2020, 04:28 PM

Beautiful guitar, congrats! Has a nicer top than I’ve seen on some recent higher-end models - Engelmann is running out, in both senses of the word as it applies to that word.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:45 PM

That is really beautiful. Love their poly foam cases too. Great find. Play it in good health!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion