The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-27-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I am 6’-6” and not so trim - built like the aging football lineman that I once was..... I find that the X30 is an armful and is quite bassy - I have to adjust my normal flat pick technique a bit to lay off the 6th and 5th strings when playing boom-chuck style. (Maybe I drive them too hard normally?). But that happens easily enough. An X30 feels like a dreadnought size to hold, and sounds similar to a rosewood/spruce D28 to my ear. For me the X20 is the perfect fit physically and tonally. I played my X20 for 2+ hours at a jam last night.

I generally prefer a Taylor GA body. My play is about 75% bare-nails fingerstyle, the rest strummed rhythm with a flat pick. The guitar that I always wanted was a 714ce in rosewood/cedar. By the time I could afford a guitar of that caliber they had stopped making them with cedar tops.
At some point a new X20 will find its way to me, and will probably replace the McPherson Sable.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
At some point a new X20 will find its way to me, and will probably replace the McPherson Sable.
... or maybe a Larrivee C-03R TE Tommy Emmanuel?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-27-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting...After I got my Sable the X20 got zero playtime, yeah the X20 was a bit more comfortable, but tone wise there was no comparison. I don't think the Sable would be a good Bluegrass guitar, but otherwise. I guess we all have different priorities, and a lot of good choices.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
... or maybe a Larrivee C-03R TE Tommy Emmanuel?
Nope, first in will be a Furch Yellow cutaway dread, with a cedar top. Played a non-cutaway model and was smitten. Then an X20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Interesting...After I got my Sable the X20 got zero playtime, yeah the X20 was a bit more comfortable, but tone wise there was no comparison. I don't think the Sable would be a good Bluegrass guitar, but otherwise. I guess we all have different priorities, and a lot of good choices.
The Sable is a wonderful guitar but I find it gets a bit lost when I play in a small ensemble. I have a buddy playing an old Guild dread that sounds amazing and is very loud, and the other guy plays keys. The Sable is very balanced, but doesn't really cut through enough for me. Playing at home on my own, the Sable is great. But as you said, we have different priorities, and for playing at home, I have other guitars I am happy with.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-27-2020, 09:37 PM

Great to hear all these opinions.

Is there any consensus on what CF guitars sound good for flatpicking? Bluegrass / old time / roots etc. From looks one would think the Rainsong V-DR as it’s clearly got that square shoulder dread shape. However all of the YouTube demo vids are of fingerpickers. So that leads me to wonder that maybe that guitar doesn’t actually play very well for flatpicking?
Old 09-28-2020, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
Great to hear all these opinions.

Is there any consensus on what CF guitars sound good for flatpicking? Bluegrass / old time / roots etc. From looks one would think the Rainsong V-DR as it’s clearly got that square shoulder dread shape. However all of the YouTube demo vids are of fingerpickers. So that leads me to wonder that maybe that guitar doesn’t actually play very well for flatpicking?
It is a loud and bright dreadnought. A good fit for getting a flat picked solo over the top of too many accompanists.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-28-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nope, first in will be a Furch Yellow cutaway dread, with a cedar top. Played a non-cutaway model and was smitten. Then an X20
The Sable is a wonderful guitar but I find it gets a bit lost when I play in a small ensemble. I have a buddy playing an old Guild dread that sounds amazing and is very loud, and the other guy plays keys. The Sable is very balanced, but doesn't really cut through enough for me. Playing at home on my own, the Sable is great. But as you said, we have different priorities, and for playing at home, I have other guitars I am happy with.
Makes sense, excellent description for what prospective owners can expect from a Sable, I love cedar topped guitars too, best of luck....

Last edited by jdinco; 09-28-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Makes sense, excellent description for what prospective owners can expect from a Sable, I love cedar topped guitars too, best of luck....
Thanks John. Never had a cedar guitar, never even considered one, believing it wouldn't have the volume or headroom I'd want. The exception was a Furch G23CR, but I wasn't in the hunt for that at the time. This dread took me by surprise.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-30-2020, 03:09 PM

Default V-DR FS $2200 PayPal Shipped CONUS

I still find myself playing only electric guitar and not sure when I might get back to acoustic. My latest modeling amp is battery powered and lets me bring my electric conveniently to places only an acoustic could go before (and sounds great).

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...67#post6512167
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber