The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-03-2020, 08:32 AM

Default Rainsong advice based on my other guitars

I live in Houston and unfortunately there are no Rainsong dealers to go try one out so I gotta collect as much data as possible before pulling the trigger.

I am mostly a strummer/flat picker though I have been getting into and learning some finger style which I have enjoyed....never gonna be a lead guitarist with a bunch of licks in my tool belt-that I know.

I mostly play Gibson Hummingbirds, I have two...I also play my Martin D15M a lot. I keep an Epiphone DR100 at the bay...that's probably my most played guitar. If I play a gig, it's usually the Hummingbird Pro.

I play mostly Texas Country, classic rock and campfire high standards.

I intend to take this guitar with me in the truck and not worry if its July and I have to run another errand and leave it in the truck, take to the beach, take on vacation, take to friends houses ETC.

I have sorta settled on the WS1000N2, Marine Burst with the Element electronics. My hesitation comes from talking to Ted at LA guitar sales...he told me to look also at the Dreadnought....which is what he mostly plays (he told me he almost exclusively plays finger style which I know is a big difference from a strummer/flat picker) Anyhow, I just don't want to make a $2500 or $2000 mistake or have regrets.

BTW-Ted was fantastic to talk to...really enjoyed it. I believe I will be buying it from him. If you read this, thank you for your time Ted.

Any advice from you carbon fiber vets?

-------THE FLEET-------
2014 Martin GPCPA5 (1st guitar, bought 12-24-2014)
2014 Martin D15M
1967 Framus Classical
2015 Epiphone DR-100
1989 Squire Telecaster
2010 Fender USA Strat
2015 Reverend 6-Gun
2016 Tom Anderson Drop Top-T
2016 Gibson Hummingbird, Ebony Finish

Vox AC10, Fender Mustang II

Good Golf, Good Tennis, or Whatever You Like To Q!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:52 AM
Guest 928

I can't advise you on which guitar to select, but I can tell you that the Marine burst is an eye-catching beauty.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:52 AM

The guitar you are settled on sounds a lot like the same model Rainsong I went to look at in a GC (several times) and almost bought a few years ago. I came so close and loved the feel and sound.

I ended up going with an Emerald X20 which is completely awesome for similar reasons to the Rainsong and more. Ted doesn't stock these, so you will have to get your information about them from somewhere else.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Rainsong you are considering, but they are not the only game in town. You might find a Rainsong or two to A/B at one of your local Guitar Centers before you commit to Ted. I know GC has them in inventory, so if you ask the local shop they may get one just so you can look at it before buying anything.

You won't get this same option with an Emerald guitar though because Emerald only ships from the factory. They used to have a dealer in the US but found shipping direct worked better for their business model. That said, there are quite a few around the US, so you may be able to get a look at one in the wild before you pay out any cash for your next guitar if you ask around.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-03-2020, 08:55 AM

I think it would be hard to top Ted's advice. I also favor the Dreadnought over the WS, but I think it might be largely due to preferring the looks of a Dreadnought. The tighter waste and cutaway will certainly make the WS more comfortable to play. At one time or another I've owned most RainSong models and lately I am playing a V-DR1100N2 when not playing electric.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-03-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Ted is a great source, and has a nice selection of RainSong models. I’m more comfortable playing models smaller that dreadnaughts, and got my RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret at Rainbow Guitars in Tucson when I was there this year for the Gem Show. I love the guitar. It sounds great, is very sensitive, and holds up really well to full out strumming. Also, there are no worries about heat and humidity. I recently got a new Emerald X20, and encourage you to check them out, too. It’s a bit deeper and 25 1/2 scale, with great upper fret access and very comfortable with curves and bevels. It’s a real work of art, and the Emerald buying experience is pure pleasure, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-03-2020, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure what the status of this guitar https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=590939 is since the price has been Xed out, but at the last price displayed it would be the way to go...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-03-2020, 10:05 AM

i know that I'm the only kid in town that buys guitars based on looks, but I would think a bluegrasser would be looking to RainSong for a reason.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Ted is a great source, and has a nice selection of RainSong models. I’m more comfortable playing models smaller that dreadnaughts, and got my RainSong Concert Hybrid Orchestra Model 12 Fret at Rainbow Guitars in Tucson when I was there this year for the Gem Show. I love the guitar. It sounds great, is very sensitive, and holds up really well to full out strumming. Also, there are no worries about heat and humidity. I recently got a new Emerald X20, and encourage you to check them out, too. It’s a bit deeper and 25 1/2 scale, with great upper fret access and very comfortable with curves and bevels. It’s a real work of art, and the Emerald buying experience is pure pleasure, too.
This was the first year in many I missed the show...maybe I'll try and catch up with you on the next one whenever that might be. Tuscon is nice because its such a relaxed show..

Thank you for the advice on the guitar as well.

-------THE FLEET-------
2014 Martin GPCPA5 (1st guitar, bought 12-24-2014)
2014 Martin D15M
1967 Framus Classical
2015 Epiphone DR-100
1989 Squire Telecaster
2010 Fender USA Strat
2015 Reverend 6-Gun
2016 Tom Anderson Drop Top-T
2016 Gibson Hummingbird, Ebony Finish

Vox AC10, Fender Mustang II

Good Golf, Good Tennis, or Whatever You Like To Q!
Old 09-03-2020, 10:17 AM

This may confuse things a bit. Given your style I get why the dreadnought was recommended. In my case with some right shoulder issues (both old and newer injuries) I don't play dreadnoughts or jumbos any longer. I've owned a WS-1000 since 2001 and play about 75% bare nails fingerstyle. My WS-1000 also does just fine with a flat pick at bluegrass jams. It is loud but a little more focused (less boomy or muddy sounding) than a dread. I get to play a DR-1000 periodically at a friend's house too. For fingerstyle, the tighter waist and more balanced sound of the WS works better versus a dreadnought, even apart from the shoulder issue. That is why I bought my WS nearly 20 years ago, even before my shoulder had major issues.

It is hard to beat Ted's advice, as he has sold more CF guitars than anyone else that we know of. As seannx mentioned the Emerald X20 is a fine choice too, but you can only buy direct from Emerald or buy used. My X20 has become my daily player and sees way more playing hours than the Rainsong. Those ergonomic bevels and contours are simply hard to beat, and the Emerald sound is fine too.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
i know that I'm the only kid in town that buys guitars based on looks, but I would think a bluegrasser would be looking to RainSong for a reason.
Steelvibe posted while I was composing and typing. For primarily bluegrass use, the traditional appearance of a Vintage DR with a spruce veneer top would fit in nicely. My X20 did just fine at a Saturday evening outdoor bluegrass jam (first one in months) but that group is more tolerant of the non-traditional Emerald appearance than some hard core bluegrass circles.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:15 AM

I've lately gone electric and even plan on using a Katana Mini and electric guitar for my next old folks home solo gig (whenever that might happen...)

Jon Fields

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-03-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 09-03-2020, 12:07 PM
Guest 928

Jon;

Nice pictures. Do you salt the gratuity guitar case? It looks like you're doing well, at least making lunch money.

I've tried going electric a few times, but the attempt never seems to last long. it sounds as though you may in for the long haul with electrics.

Do you have any sound to go with the visuals?
Old 09-03-2020, 12:21 PM
Guest 928

Jon;

I'd not heard of the Katana mini amp. I've been using the Roland Mobile Cube for small venues and the Boise SI for larger audiences.

Have you tried the Roland? If so, how would you compare it to the Katana?
Also, do you have to remove the batteries to charge them?
Old 09-03-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jon;

Nice pictures. Do you salt the gratuity guitar case? It looks like you're doing well, at least making lunch money.

I've tried going electric a few times, but the attempt never seems to last long. it sounds as though you may in for the long haul with electrics.

Do you have any sound to go with the visuals?
After 10 years we started putting out a tip jar or guitar case to check what impact we were having. It is strangely gratifying even if I can't think of anything to buy. We don't seed the case or take anything out of it during the typical 3 set gig. We cleared $108 plus change and $112 plus change the last two times we played that Farmers' Market. I watched a woman put a ten in there last gig!!!

Jon Fields
Old 09-03-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jon;

I'd not heard of the Katana mini amp. I've been using the Roland Mobile Cube for small venues and the Boise SI for larger audiences.

Have you tried the Roland? If so, how would you compare it to the Katana?
Also, do you have to remove the batteries to charge them?
I like the Katana better than the Mobile Cube but we are splitting hairs. Either amp is loud enough to compete with acoustic instruments. The Katana has a very nice overdrive that can make strumming richer (guitar volume set to 7 or 8) and a nice overdrive for a lead with the guitar on 10.

I power the Katana Mini with a Volto which is convenient.

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber